CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I would argue Payton & Oladipo both cannot shoot from outside and this just creates huge problems for us on offense. If you add a SF who can't shoot into our starting line-up, we're done for.

I think AG will develop a jumper, and Oladipo will have a serviceable one, but we need a guy who can shoot. Hezonja is our guy to fill that scoring/shooting void.

Winslow just hit 40% this year.

Winslows shooting motion is not broken, so he can get better. But I prefer Mario because his shooting motion is textbook, plus his size and speed makes it very hard to block his shot.

I'd totally be down for Hezonja, I just hope he doesn't become Rudy Fernandez v2.0 and I'm not saying that because of the whole "daddy issue" tweet earlier. I thought about the two being somewhat similar well before.

His film is tantalizing, though

Winslows shooting motion is not broken, so he can get better. But I prefer Mario because his shooting motion is textbook, plus his size and speed makes it very hard to block his shot.

I'm sure Winslow will be a great player for whoever has him, but having 3 "so-so" shooters at the 1, 2 and 3 is scary in today's NBA.

--

And I liked Rudy Fernandez's game a lot, he just didn't get enough PT and bolted. He was underutilized

So you can sign a FA who is already on your team and trade him (a la LeBron for the max and the Heat getting a 2nd round pick in return), but you cannot do the same with a Restricted FA? Unfortunate, as I think that Tobias as a sign-and-trade would work well. I'm now almost guaranteeing that we'll match close to any offer that is thrown at him. You don't just let someone walk with that talent if you're $30 million under the salary cap.

You can sign and trade a restricted free agent, like we did with Ryan Anderson.

• Upvote 1

So you can sign a FA who is already on your team and trade him (a la LeBron for the max and the Heat getting a 2nd round pick in return), but you cannot do the same with a Restricted FA? Unfortunate, as I think that Tobias as a sign-and-trade would work well. I'm now almost guaranteeing that we'll match close to any offer that is thrown at him. You don't just let someone walk with that talent if you're $30 million under the salary cap.

You can't trade him until later in the season if you match an offer sheet to keep him, and even then it can't be to the team that made the offer.

Also you can no longer do the LeBron trade you mention; you can't give the 5 year/7.5% raise max contract as part of the sign and trade; it is now limited to the 4 year/4.5% that any team with space can offer.

I hate the Klay Thompson comparison because it feels too myopic. I can't think of a better comparison though

You can sign and trade a restricted free agent, like we did with Ryan Anderson.

If he has not yet signed an offer sheet, and subject to the 4-year/4.5% raise contract limitations.

I hate the Klay Thompson comparison because it feels too myopic. I can't think of a better comparison though

I think Rudy Fernandez is a great comparison. That guy also had some dunks that caught people off guard

This ones a little more out there and also a best case scenario (at least offensively) but he kinda reminds me of Melo. He's 6'8 (bigger than both Klay or Rudy Fernandez), strong and athletic and he can really shoot the ball. He doesn't have all the moves that Melo has at this stage obviously but there have been a couple of plays I've seen where he's hit a step back 3 or whatever where Melo is who came to mind.

This ones a little more out there and also a best case scenario (at least offensively) but he kinda reminds me of Melo. He's 6'8 (bigger than both Klay or Rudy Fernandez), strong and athletic and he can really shoot the ball. He doesn't have all the moves that Melo has at this stage obviously but there have been a couple of plays I've seen where he's hit a step back 3 or whatever where Melo is who came to mind.

I think he's a slightly better athlete than Melo. Melo has a great first step, but he's not much of a leaper and doesn't have great end-to-end speed.

But the more I think about it, the more I can kind of see where you're coming from, especially with the attitude/mental aspect of Hezonja's profile.