Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

Could be that. My main issue isn't really with his salary, I was only responding to the question of why does the media keep harping on it, I completely understand why they are harping on it.

We traded AA for Fournier, and Oladipo was the 2nd overall pick. That's two valuable assets given up in the past two years, assets that need to develop. Then we bring in Willie Green, for leadership and depth. At that point I felt we were good, we had depth and we had plenty of playing time for two players we gave up valuable assets for. The Gordon signing just doesn't fit in to any of that. It certainly wasn't a need. To give him playing time is to give our future less playing time.

I keep forgetting we grabbed Green off of waivers. That is actually the one that confuses me, as he isn't a 3-pt threat, and is a career backup who is undersized for the SG position he plays.

I keep forgetting we grabbed Green off of waivers. That is actually the one that confuses me, as he isn't a 3-pt threat, and is a career backup who is undersized for the SG position he plays.

He makes the veteran's minimum and will likely never escape the bench. It's a nothing signing.

For someone who constantly runs around asking people "oh, I wasn't aware that someone was arguing that", you should probably be a little more accurate in your accusations. Where did I argue that we shouldn't bother signing anyone to replace Moore, Lamb or Price? Is Gordon the only available option? Nope, which is why you sound ridiculous.

At this point, I'm going to just put you back on ignore.

For someone who constantly runs around asking people "oh, I wasn't aware that someone was arguing that", you should probably be a little more accurate in your accusations. Where did I argue that we shouldn't bother signing anyone to replace Moore, Lamb or Price? Is Gordon the only available option? Nope, which is why you sound ridiculous.

Who would you suggest for 4.5mm a year?

Furthermore, the Magic believe there is a large chance that Gordon outperforms that contract.

This is gambling with a small amount of money. That's how GM's run small market teams and win games in today's NBA.

I have a theory about Green. (it's nothing more and I'm not sure it's very plausible myself it's just something I thought about).

There were rumors when we picked up Green that Doc was livid because his plan had been to waive Green to create some cap room and then resign him again for the minimum when the rest of the roster was set. If that's true the only real reason would be that he and Chris Paul are apparently very good friends. Now Green hasn't been spotted in Orlando yet as far as I know and he hasn't been interviewed by any Magic writers either so I can only imagine he's still in LA probably upset that he didn't clear waivers. My thought was perhaps the Magic will try and squeeze some cash or a 2nd round pick or something out of LA in a trade so they can get him back and appease CP3.

I don't know how plausible (cap or CBA wise) that is but it was just a random thought.

I have a theory about Green. (it's nothing more and I'm not sure it's very plausible myself it's just something I thought about).

There were rumors when we picked up Green that Doc was livid because his plan had been to waive Green to create some cap room and then resign him again for the minimum when the rest of the roster was set. If that's true the only real reason would be that he and Chris Paul are apparently very good friends. Now Green hasn't been spotted in Orlando yet as far as I know and he hasn't been interviewed by any Magic writers either so I can only imagine he's still in LA probably upset that he didn't clear waivers. My thought was perhaps the Magic will try and squeeze some cash or a 2nd round pick or something out of LA in a trade so they can get him back and appease CP3.

I don't know how plausible (cap or CBA wise) that is but it was just a random thought.

I am pretty sure that a team that waived a player can not trade for that player to come back.

Well, yes, it does matter if he's been considered it before. Otherwise how can you use that as part of your argument? Where are you getting it from? The only story I know about Gordon is one we all know, where he wouldn't stop bouncing a ball in practice when the coach told him to. That sounds like a spoiled child. Does that REALLY sound like a guy you expect to positively mentor our younger players?

Did you only read the 1st 10 words of that post? Did you ignore the stuff where it already seems like he's starting to bond with our young guys and that our front office has extensive experience with him?

The only story I know about Gordon is one we all know,

Exactly. This is the problem.

People (media included) take one thing and beat it to death.

You should have read the Boris Diaw hate a few years back when he was fat and "lazy". Now the guy has a ring a new 3 year deal.

People change and mature.

Well, yes, it does matter if he's been considered it before. Otherwise how can you use that as part of your argument? Where are you getting it from? The only story I know about Gordon is one we all know, where he wouldn't stop bouncing a ball in practice when the coach told him to. That sounds like a spoiled child. Does that REALLY sound like a guy you expect to positively mentor our younger players?

You would then also have to consider the rest of the story - isn't that the coach that was fired after one year? Possibly there were other issues? The bottom line is that the media of today is not the media of 30-40 years ago; they don't always give both sides of a story, but tend to pick a side and present it from that perspective. I don't know that is what happened, none of us do; but I think Rob has to be listening to something/someone else, and not depending on a media report/perspective.

I posted a comment about the article, MA responded to my comment and I responded back to him. I wasn't butting in to a conversation you two were having, you butted into a conversation we were having. This is a minor thing, but considering it's you, I felt it was necessary to set the record straight.

This goes beyond his salary, as the article correctly pointed out, in terms of negative impact. I agree with that part of the article as well as the salary. The salary doesn't matter as much as the unnecessary loss of minutes from our two young prospects. Gordon was not a need, Gordon is overpaid, Gordon isn't known as a locker room guy, Gordon doesn't make the guys around him better, Gordon isn't part of our future. Because of those things, Gordon has no business being on our roster. It doesn't surprise me that this signing is looked down upon EVERYWHERE other than a Magic message board.

Is every single other person and media outlet wrong? Maybe, but chances are they aren't, you are.

Yeah, that's funny. I originally responded to his post, but deleted it and responded to yours because of how absurd your comment was. You got me there.

Our young guys are going to get as many minutes as they need/deserve. We needed another guard. In fact, we needed one that we didn't need to worry about long term on this team. Why? Because if we get into a position where the young guys are playing well and deserve more minutes, we can cut Gordon's minutes (assuming he's getting any) and it has no impact to the future of this team. It makes it easier to juggle things around. Every team is going to have some number of transitional guys that are there to fill a gap.

As for "what everyone else is saying", well, maybe that will help you get to sleep at night. You can smile a warm, smug smile in the mirror and tell yourself that you're right, and "everyone else on the forum is wrong, we just refuse to listen to you because you're the new guy and we're just big meanies like that". It wouldn't be the first time that the NBA blogosphere lambasted a Hennigan move initially.

Here's a gem of an example:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1293229-post-trade-report-card-grading-the-dwight-howard-trade-for-all-4-teams-involved

Or this one that's slightly more optimistic:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-120810/nba-offseason-grading-dwight-howard-deal

Hennigan didn't get a lot of respect initially on the JJ deal either. Only Bucks fans were pissed about that one.

I mentioned about a week ago that I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Brian Roberts, or even a guy like Sessions. Low cost guys to fill out our bench. I just think we're going to give Gordon too much time in order to justify his contract, those guys wouldn't demand that type of playing time. At SG I felt we were good with Oladipo/Fournier/Green.

Ok, those 2 guys are not really going to bring what the Magic believe Gordon will.

That is the thing to understand. It was not too long ago that Ben Gordon was a B level star in this league. Until last year, he was a highly effective shooter who could run the point as well.

Those guys are just filler who don't really bring much potentially to the table.

This is a low risk gamble by the Magic. They had some money to gamble with. That is the thing to understand. If that gamble pays off, our guard depth will be ridiculous. If not, he rides the bench for a year. It has zero affect on our future.

Guys like Sessions and Roberts aren't going to really do anything for us except fill a bench seat - Green is already going to do that for us.

Right, but aren't you in agreement that we didn't bring him here for that? We brought him here for outside shooting, if he ends up being a positive influence, great. But I seriously doubt Rob had "veteran leadership" in mind when he signed Gordon.

Thats not the point. My point is you don't know much about the guy's character and are focusing on one incident over and over. Gordon was brought here to possibly bring some serious punch off the bench. It is a gamble with house money.