Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

I didn't ignore any point, I'm simply correcting your math. Your numbers weren't accurate, so I corrected them.

I don't agree that he was simply "reverting to what is normal for him", because given his age and lack of playing time, we don't know what IS normal for him. That's yet to be determined. Even if you disregard April of last season, both his 2012 campaign, and the end of 2013 are above his career averages in terms of 3pt shooting percentage. The guy is clearly getting better and that's really all I'm trying to point out.

If we disregard his time in Milwaukee, the partial season, and the injured season, we're left with his time at Tennessee where he shot 30%

Are you trying to say his most recent stats don't show an upward trend? You keep focusing on the negative aspects without acknowledging that his most recent play exceeds both his college numbers AND his career averages. I don't think it's crazy to believe that's the sign of a young player improving.

No, I'm trying to say there's an excuse for last year (injury), the year before (trade) and the year before that (minutes). If we throw those out the only thing left is college.

You point out a stretch of 22 games where he made 11 threes. That's not enough data to make any conclusion.

Right, if I state my opinions you consider it "arguing".

It's not, it's stating my opinions. It's a discussion, you can't have a discussion with yourself. I have a guy come in and say nobody takes me seriously and then when facts are presented he vanishes, and I'm not allowed to respond to that?

That's the very definition of the word.

I haven't reached any conclusion, I'm just pointing out an upward trend.

And it was 14 threes, not 11.

I have him making 7 in march and 4 in April.

Oh, I meant February and March. I only included April originally because it showed that the trend continued, he started off shooting the three very well again. The season ended, so we didn't get the chance to see if it would continue the full month, though.

I admit it's not a huge sample size, but it's the latest sample size we have, and I was responding to a guy who said "there are no recent facts that support your case". That simply wasn't true, so I posted the info.

Hopefully 1 of oladipo/harkless/Harris develops into a legitimate threat. There are reasons to be optimistic about all of them but also negatives (usually sample size and shooting volume).

So then everyone is arguing? Why do you keep singling my posts out then?

For the comedic level of absurdity when you say things like

I'm not trying to argue with anyone.

or blanket statements like:

Veteran leadership is veteran leadership, Frye can provide it, and so can Price or Maxiell. Arguing who provides more of it is absolutely ludicrous.

followed up by:

I never said all veterans bring the same level of leadership. If you're going to accuse me of "not reading entire posts", you should probably hold yourself to the same standards. I said there are a lot of guys that can bring leadership, and many of them you can get for a fraction of the cost with no long term commitment. That's very different than saying any veteran player will bring the same amount of leadership. That's nonsense and I never said it.

Then blame people for "twisting your words". I just want you to know that I appreciate you, Eskobar. One poster to another.

• Upvote 3

I'm not always going to take the time to explain every idea down to the last detail, I didn't think I needed to. I guess maybe I give a few people on here a little too much credit. I've learned my lesson.

Man it's never on you, ever. That's fascinating.

Anyway, I have presented facts and articles backing up my opinion. I also worded my posts so they can not be misinterpreted. Since you were unable to really debate anything I said except call me lazy for relying on your written word and not jumping into your mind to extract your actual message, I feel my job is done here.

It's done on my end. I have not seen any responses to the facts I presented.

Excited for the season to start so we can see these guys in action.

I can't believe this argument is still going on lol.

Hey man, it's not an argument. It's a discussion.

Curious what you think about the Simmons article junkie posted. Where they claim Frye won't be nearly as effective here and the system and players in Phoenix are why he played well.

Just saw that. I understand what they are saying as these guys take a high level view of 30 teams, and no one is going to say this draft makes sense if they look at it from a traditional perspective. The thing to remember about the Magic - they value advanced analytics more than most teams and are futurists in terms of talent evaluation. They were one of the first teams to install the SportVU cameras that give them far more player information then we will ever have. In essence, it is safe to say that the Magic know that gordon and payton need work on their shooting. They knew that far before they drafted them.

Also I am interested in a few things - what they think about the free agent market in general in terms of how much money Hayward is getting for example. They say we are a fantasy team that can't shoot, but then say they hate the signings (inexpensive for this market). We got guys who can shoot the ball very well. That does not make sense to me,

Their main concern with Frye is that our guys will struggle to shoot like Gordon and Dragic, which is legit, but much too narrow of a viewpoint (hence my high level comment earlier). The Magic are not going to be a perimeter team that camps out 4 guys behind the 3 point line like Atlanta for example. They are going to be a motion offense that opens up the lane for high % drive and kicks. That is why Frye is a good signing. You have to cover him which means the lane is free of one big lane clogger. This was not the case at all last year.

So while the Pick and roll is not going to be about Payton popping 3s, I believe you will see victor running it a lot with Frye and making his 3s if the defense gives them to him. Victor will be staring at more open 3s this year as a result, and his % should increase. Lets not forget that Fournier is a guy who has proven he can get real hot from behind the arc, and he will benefit from these open looks as well.

The Magic have incredible speed and that makes drives into the lane very hard to defend if it is not clogged. The only way to defend them is to foul, and while the Magics FT % is not great, the fouls are going to be drawn against the other team's bigs. Getting an opposing big in foul trouble early will be something you will see the Magic do a lot this year.

Anyway, thats some of my thoughts.

I don't disagree with any of that. The point they made about Frye not being able to shoot 3's himself, because he'll be guarded more closely than he was used to in Phoenix, is more worrisome if he can't overcome the additional attention.

If they guard him closely then we win. It pulls a big out of the lane so Dipo and Payton can attack the rim.

Every game last year I saw Dipo beat one or two defenders off the dribble only to have a big waiting for him. The idea is that big won't be there now or will be too late to help.