Sign in to follow this  
jmmagicfan

Kevin Love Sweepstakes

Why use assets to bid on him?

If we really want him on team (which I am doubtful) why not just wait until he is a FA next summer when we have huge cap space.

We are no where near being ready to compete so taking on the risk of him not signing an extension is a desperation Otis move.

Why use assets to bid on him?

If we really want him on team (which I am doubtful) why not just wait until he is a FA next summer when we have huge cap space.

We are no where near being ready to compete so taking on the risk of him not signing an extension is a desperation Otis move.

If you think he is a player we want on our team, you go for him now. He has already said he will not re-sign with Minny, so they will have to look at trading him this year. He has an option year after this, so any team that trades is going to want him to use that option, so he won't be a FA next summer, but will be a FA in 2016 instead. They will then also have the advantage to resign him to a longer, richer contract than anyone else can offer. So, really the choices are:

1) I don't think he is a player we want on our team; or

2) We should make an attempt to trade for him.

If you believe we should make an attempt for him, then what is the maximum you would be willing to deal for him?

Love's option for the 2015/2016 season is a PLAYER option. One he will decline.

His team has no say over that. He will be an FA next off-season.

Correct, no team has a say over that; but just like Chris Paul did a few years ago, the player can agree to exercise the option as part of the trade agreement; and I don't think anyone is going to trade for him without at least that additional season guarantee. It is part of Love's leverage to try to force a trade to a team he approves of.

Before you say it, there is no guarantee he would approve of a trade to Orlando/use his player option unless he thinks we could compete soon. On the other hand, no state income tax, California-type weather, and a collection of good, young talent might peak his interest enough to take the option and give it a year or two.

Exum

Oladipo

Harris

Love

Vucevic

with Nelson, Harkless, O'Quinn on the bench is intriguing; and maybe one free agent (Deng?) away from making a serious run.

In that case, to answer your earlier question about what I'd give up for Kevin Love:

Well, lets see. I have this pack of gum if Minnesota wants that. In the interest of full disclosure, I've already taken one stick, but that still leaves the rest.

And it's Winterfresh gum, which experts have said makes mouth taste much, much cooler.

Love's option for the 2015/2016 season is a PLAYER option. One he will decline.

His team has no say over that. He will be an FA next off-season.

Question: If a team trades for Love and he opts out of his player option, can that team still offer more money than any other team (eg Lakers offering Dwight $118m over 5 years versus Houston's $88m over 4 years)?

If so, then any team that acquires Love could offer more money than another team if they wanted. Granted it doesn't mean he will re-sign, but if he was offered more money here in Orlando, or say Dallas, then it would make it more lucrative than somewhere like California.

Not saying I'd want us to pay out as much money on Love as the Lakers offered Dwight, but the home team can offer more money on a max deal?

In that case, to answer your earlier question about what I'd give up for Kevin Love:

Well, lets see. I have this pack of gum if Minnesota wants that. In the interest of full disclosure, I've already taken on stick, but that still leaves the rest.

And it's Winterfresh gum, which experts have said makes mouth taste much, much cooler.

Did you mean you've taken on shtick? That makes more sense.

Question: If a team trades for Love and he opts out of his player option, can that team still offer more money than any other team (eg Lakers offering Dwight $118m over 5 years versus Houston's $88m over 4 years)?

If so, then any team that acquires Love could offer more money than another team if they wanted. Granted it doesn't mean he will re-sign, but if he was offered more money here in Orlando, or say Dallas, then it would make it more lucrative than somewhere like California.

Not saying I'd want us to pay out as much money on Love as the Lakers offered Dwight, but the home team can offer more money on a max deal?

Unless there were stealth changes to the CBA during the last go around, yes, in that scenario we could offer larger per-year raises and a fifth year.

Well, lets see. I have this pack of gum if Minnesota wants that. In the interest of full disclosure, I've already taken one stick, but that still leaves the rest.

So you are basically saying he is a player you don't want our team. That's cool. I respect your opinion.

Yes, they could offer him more years/money by trading for him now, but as your example above shows, if he isn't convinced he wants to be there long term, more years/money won't be enough to make him stay. Otherwise, there would be no talk of Minny having to trade him. They are already "on the clock" because he has already said he won't extend/re-sign/opt in to stay there. By making the opt-in a condition of the trade it gives a new team a chance to see how he fits, convince him to extend/re-sign, and still have a year to trade him if it looks like he won't.

Edit: Also, if he won't agree to opt-in as part of the deal that is a red flag that you can't re-sign him so you don't make the trade.

Offering more salary won't keep him from going back to LA if he wants to go.

Not with agents whispering in his ear how much more he can make in marketing deals playing for the Lakers.

Offering more salary won't keep him from going back to LA if he wants to go.

Not with agents whispering in his ear how much more he can make in marketing deals playing for the Lakers.

You are correct, and I would be very concerned about the summer of 2016 since Kobe will likely be gone, Pau should be gone, they will have this year's #7 pick, presumably a reasonable 2016 pick, and enough cap space to potentially sign two big names. They are pretty hand-cuffed until then.