Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Magic @ Nets Game Thread 1/21/14

ESPN.COM preview:

Since the calendar turned to 2014, the Brooklyn Nets finally have been playing up to the lofty expectations that may have burdened them at the start of the season.

They'll look to win for the eighth time in nine games this month while avenging an earlier loss to the visiting Orlando Magic on Tuesday night.

Brooklyn (17-22) dropped six of its final seven December contests to fall 11 games below .500, a far cry from where it expected to sit heading into the new year after acquiring Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry from Boston in the offseason.

Despite center Brook Lopez being sidelined for the reminder of the season, the Nets have found their groove during a recent run that includes wins over Oklahoma City, Golden State and Miami.

Joe Johnson, averaging 24.5 points over the last six, scored 25 to help Brooklyn beat New York 103-80 on Monday.

"We want it to keep going, so we're going to keep working hard," Johnson said. "We know why we've won seven of the last eight, so we're just going to keep working hard, keep playing together."

Deron Williams returned after missing the last five games with a nagging ankle injury, but he told coach Jason Kidd he'd rather come off the bench than disrupt the chemistry of a starting lineup that his featured Johnson, Pierce, Garnett, Alan Anderson and Shaun Livingston.

Williams scored 13 points in a little over 27 minutes. Reserve forward Andray Blatche has totaled 39 points and 26 rebounds over the last two.

"Just because we've been playing so well with that lineup. Why shake things up?" Williams said. "It doesn't matter if I come off (the bench) or start."

The Nets seem to be a much different team than the one that fell 107-86 at Orlando on Nov. 3. Pierce had 16 points as Brooklyn had its four-game series winning streak snapped.

While Brooklyn has been rolling in 2014, the Magic (11-30) lost their first nine of the new year as part of a 10-game skid that finally ended with Sunday's 93-91 win over Boston.

Arron Afflalo had 20 points and a career-high 13 rebounds, while Jameer Nelson added 16 points and 10 assists for Orlando, which went with a seven-man rotation.

"The emphasis was to win," Afflalo said. "I thought we did that because I could feel no personal agendas, could feel nothing but five guys on the court and the two guys who came off the bench really looking for a way to get a victory."

Rookie Victor Oladipo, who scored 19 points in the first meeting with the Nets, was the only starter not in double figures with nine.

"Everybody was eager to win, so we've got to be like that every game," Oladipo said. "When you have a mindset of just continue to play hard, and when your teammates have your back, it's hard not to be involved and focused and locked in."

Glen Davis, who scored 17 points Sunday, sat out the first meeting with Brooklyn with a foot injury.

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=400489489

Our SL:

Nelson

Oladipo

Afflalo

Harris

Davis

*Vucevic is still out with a concussion.

Nets projected SL:

Deron Williams (I believe he will start, though he came off the bench vs. the Knicks)

Joe Johnson

Paul Pierce

Alan Anderson

Kevin Garnett

IB's Key to the Game:

For us to have a chance in this game, we need to defend the perimeter. The Nets are top 10 in 3p% and FTA; They are top 5 in terms of FT per FG. My guess is a lot of guard penetration followed by outside shooting. KG, Pierce, and Anderson don't scare me individually but if they are part of a team concept they can provide bursts of offense. Let's stop the 3s and penetration, and force the Nets to play one on one. Because by all other metrics, the Nets are an average to slightly above average team. They are horrible defensively (worse than us I believe). GOOOOOO MAGIC!

• Upvote 2

Don't believe they'll win this one but I won't be surprised if the Magic win. The Nets are climbing in the standings.

Yeah Nets have been playing well lately, I think we can match up well with them. Afflalo plays on Joe Johnson, Baby knows Garnett's moves (hopefully), Harris could take Peirce. Only thing is the Nelson/Livingston matup, Livingston his a big guard so it will be interesting.