Sign in to follow this  
Beast From The East

Jameer Nelson - Leadership

Great leadership can't increase the talent a team has, it can only help maximise the potential of the team.

It also teaches the young players good professional habits, which is key long term.

Think about leadership setting the tone in the locker room. Think about how that impacts the team, particularly on the court. If I think hard enough, I could probably come up with a good example of a team that had a leader fail them, a leader trying to force his way off the team, and how it impacted that team for an entire (shortened) season.

I am a firm believer that having at least one guy on your team that has leadership potential is important. We seem to have three (though I'm not convinced on Big Baby yet) in Glen, Jameer and JJ and I think that's important on the younger guys, important when developing that talent and instilling good habits.

It is good to have a proven vet(s) setting tone and direction. The tough thing about Jameer is that he's just a slightly above average player and gets injured a decent amount, which has to effect his level of influence.

I like how Kobe defines leadership: "Leadership is responsibility." So regardless of talent, that entails each player fully playing their part for the betterment of the team.

It is good to have a proven vet(s) setting tone and direction. The tough thing about Jameer is that he's just a slightly above average player and gets injured a decent amount, which has to effect his level of influence.

I like how Kobe defines leadership: "Leadership is responsibility." So regardless of talent, that entails each player fully playing their part for the betterment of the team.

Really... Kobe.... Leadership.... did just we use that in the same sentence?

Think about leadership setting the tone in the locker room. Think about how that impacts the team, particularly on the court. If I think hard enough, I could probably come up with a good example of a team that had a leader fail them, a leader trying to force his way off the team, and how it impacted that team for an entire (shortened) season.

I am a firm believer that having at least one guy on your team that has leadership potential is important. We seem to have three (though I'm not convinced on Big Baby yet) in Glen, Jameer and JJ and I think that's important on the younger guys, important when developing that talent and instilling good habits.

Exactly. Hate to say it but the Wizards waisted talent because they didnt have these type of players to show them the way.

Really... Kobe.... Leadership.... did just we use that in the same sentence?

I think Kobe is a leader...you may not agree with the methods he uses or who he emulates leadership from, but that style has helped him win two rings.

I think Kobe is a leader...you may not agree with the methods he uses or who he emulates leadership from, but that style has helped him win two rings.

Being a winner, and being a leader are not the same thing.

I totally view Kobe as a leader. When you are respected by everyone on your team and they will do anything you tell them to, I'd say you qualify.

It's the moment where one player starts doing his own thing and a couple others start following that guy where you begin to lose your leadership stature. Every team has a leader, it's just that not all of them are positive.

Being a winner, and being a leader are not the same thing.

Sometimes the two go hand in hand. Of course, being a leader but losing doesn't really make one fit to lead.

As far as this topic is concerned, Nelson is not a leader for us. At least not in the traditional sense of a leader. IMO, his job is to provide stability at the PG position and act as a liaison between the organization/coaching staff and developing players. We aren't asking Nelson to win us 50+ games because it can't be done with this roster.