Sign in to follow this  
Bo Bandy

Andrew Nicholson

Whats going on here? At first I was a bit uneasy about our first round pick. But after seeing him play I've been really impressed. The kid is the most efficient scorer we have. He's got amazing footwork down low and an above average jump shot. He's athleticism is a bit lacking (and his lack of rebounding is a testament to that) but it seems like he could become a significant threat in the post... then can stretch out the defense with his mid range jumpers.

I understand the coaching staff wanting to ease him into the NBA and I think they were doing a good job with that. But now he seems to be in the decline. He didn't play at all in the Lakers game and received minimal minutes in the Jazz and Warriors game. He can easily play the 4 or 5 (not sure if I'd like him at the 3). Why isn't he the first one off the bench?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Could be a lot of things really....could be match ups.....could be coach's decision....Either way i think he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do at this point he's showing flashes of his talent.....He was the 19th pick i think where he is right now is fine he just has to keep developing and learning the game....His skills are there to me he will probably be a VERY good pick and roll/pop player because of his jumpshot, but the beauty of his game is he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and finish at the rim with his post moves.

In Fact to be honest i think Al Jefferson tonight could be what Nicholson ends up playing like...nice Mid-range jumper but great in the post with drop steps and counter moves and the ability to score with either hand....difference is i think Nicholson could be a better shot blocker than Jefferson though.....Nicholson has a bright future but he has to put in that work to get better....refine and sharpen his post moves and jumpshot....work on his ball-handling so he doesn't get ripped when he puts the ball on the floor and get bigger and stronger. If he can become an Al jefferson/David West type then we're set at the PF position

I have to agree with you Bo, there has to be 7-10 minutes a night for this guy. However, don't forget JJ's rookie year, there were plenty of DNP's for him that year. The only difference is, Nicholson is a big, must get him on the floor.

If he can become an Al jefferson/David West type then we're set at the PF position

Those are the two players I'd most compare him to and I believe if he works hard enough he can become that type of guy. I continue to see flashes of good play from Drew, and Harkless as well. I think if both of those guys max their potential we could have an Al Jefferson type player in the front court and an Andre Iguodala type player on the wing... Obviously though players don't always develop the way you think they will so only time will tell.

A big factor in this is awareness. Watching these game, it is clear to see that our rookies seem to get lost in the moment during close games. We've given up big runs to opposing teams because of this, and it happens more frequently with a rookie in, and Moore in the lineup as well.

I'm all for the young guns getting PT and experience, but it seems we lose the ability to gain a lead with them on the floor. I think they get plenty of burn toward the latter half of the season, if we have a losing record of course.

A big factor in this is awareness. Watching these game, it is clear to see that our rookies seem to get lost in the moment during close games. We've given up big runs to opposing teams because of this, and it happens more frequently with a rookie in, and Moore in the lineup as well.

I'm all for the young guns getting PT and experience, but it seems we lose the ability to gain a lead with them on the floor. I think they get plenty of burn toward the latter half of the season, if we have a losing record of course.

I'd like to see them get some more playing time as well... at least Nicholson anyway. But overall, I think we have a good group of rookies. Hopefully we don't throw the season away before hand so they aren't playing in meaningless games. Nicholson obviously has some potential. Why not try utilizing him early before we fall too far behind?