Sign in to follow this  
caseyw20022

Would this be legal?

Would this be legal?

by Diligent on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 am

Given the recent comments by Dan HWNSNBU (Apparently Dwights position has always been he wants to explore his options as a free agent and won't resign with anyone, including Brooklyn. Couldn't all of this drama have been avoided had he stated that publicly like Lebron and Deron did? But I digress.) I have been thinking about a scenario that might be a pipe dream for a Magic fan. But I was just wondering if it is legal.

Is it possible if the Magic trade Dwight -- to anyone, be it Houston, Atlanta, LA, etc and he doesn't sign the extension. And in said trade, the Magic free up cap space by unloading other contracts ... And then sign Dwight back to Orlando in the off season when he becomes a free agent? I'm not saying this is highly probable. But would it even be possible?

Would this be legal?

Given the recent comments by Dan HWNSNBU (Apparently Dwights position has always been he wants to explore his options as a free agent and won't resign with anyone, including Brooklyn. Couldn't all of this drama have been avoided had he stated that publicly like Lebron and Deron did? But I digress.) I have been thinking about a scenario that might be a pipe dream for a Magic fan. But I was just wondering if it is legal.

Is it possible if the Magic trade Dwight -- to anyone, be it Houston, Atlanta, LA, etc and he doesn't sign the extension. And in said trade, the Magic free up cap space by unloading other contracts ... And then sign Dwight back to Orlando in the off season when he becomes a free agent? I'm not saying this is highly probable. But would it even be possible?

I am not to sure but I think legal rules do not let a player return to a team he was traded by for 1 year. Then if there was an agreement under the table (this will not happen) it would have to be proved, that would be highly illegal.

Would this be legal?

This is a great question, but it didn't require the creation of a brand new thread. You'd have actually gotten more responses if you'd posted your question in the ongoing Dwight Howard thread:

http://truebluenation.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23349-the-dwight-howard-drama-unfolds/page__pid__706702__st__6612#entry706702