Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

Fan Voice: "Hennigan - A New Beginning"

The Fan Voice: "Hennigan - A New Beginning”

By Live or Die Magic | July 17th, 2012

My initial impressions of Rob Hennigan are all positive. It is hard to have anything but positive impressions about someone who clearly is enjoying his job as much as Hennigan is enjoying his first month or so as the general manager of the Orlando Magic.

Few GMs, regardless of their age or experience, get the opportunity to conduct a draft, conduct a coaching search, and field offers for a generational player, all within their first few weeks on the job. In fact, I imagine that after this season is through, the remainder of his tenure as the Magic GM will seem rather mundane in comparison.

Like most Magic fans, I had not heard of Rob Hennigan until his name started to appear in connection with the GM search. In hind sight, it seems obvious why Hennigan appealed to Magic CEO Alex Martins. Hennigan’s front office experience is with two organizations that share a specific trait with Orlando: they are based in small-market cities. The NBA landscape is favoring major markets more and more. Small-market teams need to be optimally run in order to compete. San Antonio and Oklahoma City are two franchises that are at the top of the NBA pyramid, despite being small markets. Sure, they also are fortunate enough to employ NBA All-Star players, but how they acquired those players is key. This is where another singular trait that both San Antonio and Oklahoma City share comes into play: the ability to develop roster talent through the draft. So, the hope is that Hennigan is small-market groomed and draft-centric and that he puts these talents to use for a franchise in need of a new beginning.

So far, Hennigan’s moves have been against the general expectations of the fan base. He has not felt the need to rush his decision on a new head coach. The most prominent names in the search – Mike Malone and Brian Shaw – have been removed from consideration. Candidates currently still under consideration, such as San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn, have seemingly come out of nowhere, much like Hennigan himself. I get the feeling that once a coaching hire is made, it is because Hennigan has assured himself that the new coach has a philosophy that can mesh with his own.

It is possible to be just as impressed by decisions not made as by those that are. Two of Hennigan’s biggest moves so far were decisions to not perform a transaction just because it seemed the thing to do. Many fans were dismayed by Hennigan’s choice to not match the contract offer the New Orleans Hornets gave Ryan Anderson. On the surface, it seemed the team was losing a key asset they didn’t have to lose. But Hennigan explained his decision, and how it fit into his overall process. The Magic needed maximum roster flexibility, and signing Anderson to that deal would have taken away most, if not all of it.

The other “non-decision,” and the way in which Hennigan has impressed me the most is his handling of the Dwight Howard trade talks, and specifically, his interactions with the New Jersey Nets. Most Magic fans were having nightmares about the prospect of having Brook Lopez on our roster with a $60 million contract. Hennigan could not have been cooler in the manner in which he stared down Billy King and the Nets (and who knows who else!) and basically decided that if he has to trade Howard, it will be in a deal that benefits the Orlando Magic. The Nets deal did not fit that criteria. It was during this time that Hennigan gave one of the best responses I’ve ever heard from a front office executive. In the late-afternoon of July 11th, the last day Brook Lopez could be traded, Hennigan was asked if a trade was imminent. His response: “Dinner is imminent.”

This response sums up the grace and good nature with which he is handling the job so far. I can only imagine the stress that comes with this job on a typical day. But he has so many crucial decisions in front of him, and yet on the surface, he is calm and in control. I was able to observe Hennigan during Summer League last week. At all times he was friendly to those around him, yet business like in his approach. He sat with his front office team – all handpicked by him – and watched the games unless a phone call or other matter took him from his seat. In the press conference with the media, he was eloquent in his responses. Sure, he had to utilize “GM speak,” like all front office executives do; but he was respectful when explaining why he couldn’t reveal certain business matters. Basically, it wasn’t hard to tell that he seems ready for his new role and that he is having the time of his life performing it.

Of course, he still has to show results. Like any GM or coach in the NBA, he will ultimately be judged on how well his team performs on the court. With the prospect of a rebuilding effort in front of him, Hennigan is likely to have more leeway in this regard than most GMs enjoy. I have to assume that Hennigan will extend this same leeway to his new head coach, considering he may be coaching a team of younger, unproven players. It is up to us as Magic fans to also grant Hennigan some leeway and be patient as he tries to put this franchise on good footing. Remember, we root for the name on the front of the jersey, and I get the impression that Hennigan does too.

This message was not subject of approval by the NBA or the Orlando Magic. The views expressed in this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Orlando Magic or the NBA, but solely the writer.

• Upvote 12

It's tough to be thrown into the fire from day one, but he has handled it well. This whole deal with Dwight is just horrible, and I'm sure there is pressure internally (as well as externally) to make something happen and just move on, so it's very good to see that he seems to be working this situation and taking his time rather than just cutting losses and moving on as quickly as possible.

I'm very interested to see how he shapes this team, and applaud the organization from hiring someone that came up in two solid organizations instead of another Otis.

You missed an awesome opportunity here.

"Hennigan - A New Beginnigan"

No, it should be:

"Hennigan: a Chance to Begin Again".

Amateur.

• Upvote 1

No, it should be:

"Hennigan: a Chance to Begin Again".

Amateur.

Lol, I would have come up with that but I have a life and I don't spend all day thinking about this stuff and writing on a message board all day.

I have to go make out with a girl now, brb.

• Upvote 1

Lol, I would have come up with that but I have a life and I don't spend all day thinking about this stuff and writing on a message board all day.

I have to go make out with a girl now, brb.

Oh man and you were so close to not giving your age away.... "I have to go make out with a girl now, brb."....saw this years ago in chat rooms/message boards etc....dead give away your still in high school....good shot tho...

• Upvote 1

Great post, pretty much what any reasonable magic fan would try and articulate, but this was finely put onto print my friend.