Miami - 3 All stars (Olympians)

Lakers - 3 All stars (Olympians)

Knicks - 3 All stars (Oympian)

Boston - 3 All stars

OKC - 2 All stars (Olympians)

Clippers - 2 All stars

Dallas - 2 All stars

Chicago - 2 All stars

Brooklyn - 2 All stars (soon to be 3) (Olympian)

(Just to name a few)

Why can these teams attract and retain the best NBA talent - But we can't attract or "retain" any? And when we do draft superstars (Shaq and Dwight) they want to leave the first opportunity they have. Even if it means tearing our organization apart.

Why doesn't anyone want to play for the Magic?

We have:

-The best facility in the league

-A top notch Organization

-No State tax

-Beautiful winter weather

-A Loyal Fan base

We can't even trade the best center in the league for the second best center in the league because Bynum doesn't want to play here either. Even when we were able to get Grant Hill for Wallace and Billups (Detroit went on to win NBA Titles and we went on to admire Grant Hills suits) Tim Duncan who was also a free agent (and who had the same agent as Grant Hill at the time), decided to stay in San Antonio despite his agent wanting him to sign with the Magic. Duncan went on to win NBA Titles.

Why doesn't anyone want to play for us?

Why do you think this is?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Front office.

This. It seems like from day one, we've had terrible management. Lucking out and getting some great players like Shaq, T-Mac and Dwight is probably the only thing that has kept us from being the Minnesota Timberwolves.

This. It seems like from day one, we've had terrible management. Lucking out and getting some great players like Shaq, T-Mac and Dwight is probably the only thing that has kept us from being the Minnesota Timberwolves.

So is our front office really that BAD to play for? WTF? I thought we had a top notch organization?

I have to compliment the original poster on this post (by the way, pick a member account and stick with it! You keep opening up new ones).

Anyway, it is a fair point you make. I do not believe we can place all the blame on the front office. Yes, some bad decisions were made, but the real problem is the system. Despite having a salary cap and rules that are supposed to allow for competitive balance, we have players and agents that want to get to big markets where there are bigger opportunities. Player agents get a larger percentage of non-basketball money from their clients. So long as the shoe companies (and others) are giving bigger contracts to players if they play in major markets, then the system will always work against the smaller markets.

So basically, an NBA team in a smaller market will be allowed to field a team and host big market, star-studded teams (and act thankful for it) and they can even have loyal fan bases that routinely attend the games and provide a sense of excitement to the community and the team. But they can no longer expect to keep multiple superstars they might be lucky enough to draft or trade for.

I really hope that OKC becomes the exception.

The Duncan attempt is a bad example because he was torn about where to play, and ultimately opted to stay with what he knew instead of the unknown. No fault on the organization there, after all, they got both T-Mac and Hill that same off season (both all-stars and Olympic athletes).

Dwight didn't leave the first chance he got, he extended here, unlike Shaq.

OKC drafted their star players and, as of yet, have not retained them any longer than we retained Dwight.

Miami tanked to get where they are and had the added benefit of their three stars conspiring to play together.

Boston, LA, NY and Chicago have huge markets and a storied history in the league that others can not match.

Dallas has a charismatic owner that spends a lot of money, including building top notch facilities for the players.

Small market, and Orlando's "small town" feel is not attractive to players and, combined with factors mentioned above, tends to stack the deck against us.

• Upvote 1

I have to compliment the original poster on this post (by the way, pick a member account and stick with it! You keep opening up new ones).

Anyway, it is a fair point you make. I do not believe we can place all the blame on the front office. Yes, some bad decisions were made, but the real problem is the system. Despite having a salary cap and rules that are supposed to allow for competitive balance, we have players and agents that want to get to big markets where there are bigger opportunities. Player agents get a larger percentage of non-basketball money from their clients. So long as the shoe companies (and others) are giving bigger contracts to players if they play in major markets, then the system will always work against the smaller markets.

So basically, an NBA team in a smaller market will be allowed to field a team and host big market, star-studded teams (and act thankful for it) and they can even have loyal fan bases that routinely attend the games and provide a sense of excitement to the community and the team. But they can no longer expect to keep multiple superstars they might be lucky enough to draft or trade for.

I really hope that OKC becomes the exception.

I'ts been awhile since I've posted and I forgot my password and every attempt to retrieve it has failed.......But at least I picked a simiilar name in NBAMagic :)

There have been smaller markets that have been able to attact and retain their talents. You've mentioned OKC but how about the Spurs? They've won multiple championships. What makes these teams different from the Magic? We always seem to lose the big names......At times it seems like we are a developmental team for the entire NBA

Small market, and Orlando's "small town" feel is not attractive to players and, combined with factors mentioned above, tends to stack the deck against us.

I really don't buy that small market excuse.......This day and age with technology and social media, it doesn't make a difference. Dwight became a global superstar in this so called "Small Market" so I don't buy it....

Besides are you saying that small market teams like the Magic must come to the realization that they will always be the "Washington Generals" of the NBA?

The reason is the endorsement money out performs NBA money.

Only one team has built and retain most of their stars, the Spurs. Everyone else made moves to obtain the stars they have. And this was during the old CBA which was filled with loop holes out the yin yang.

With the new CBA coming into effect, it will curve some of this but not deal directly with the real problem.

Being that players show more loyalty to the highest bidder, in this case the Adidas, Reeboks, Nike, etc. than they do to the team that gave them the chance to shine.

I think all endorsement money should be split 50/50 to the team and player that is being used to sell another companies product, since they are not technically employed by them.

Despite having a salary cap and rules that are supposed to allow for competitive balance, we have players and agents that want to get to big markets where there are bigger opportunities. Player agents get a larger percentage of non-basketball money from their clients. So long as the shoe companies (and others) are giving bigger contracts to players if they play in major markets, then the system will always work against the smaller markets.

You are slowly but surely coming around to my thinking on this. Now you just need to take the next step and realize that because of things like this, the salary cap does nothing but handcuff teams who are already at a disadvantage.

Before you know it, you'll be a full-blown anti-salary cap degenerate and you will have no reason to shun baseball.

You are slowly but surely coming around to my thinking on this. Now you just need to take the next step and realize that because of things like this, the salary cap does nothing but handcuff teams who are already at a disadvantage.

Before you know it, you'll be a full-blown anti-salary cap degenerate and you will have no reason to shun baseball.

If that's the case, please explain the NFL?