Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

This post is going to touch all of the key threads, but overall, it affects the Magic most so I'm going to put it here.

Good news for you bottom out fans. There are reports the Rockets are going to amnesty Scola (wait for tie to Magic) and that if they do, basically their goal is to absorb all the contracts the Magic might want to move in a trade for Dwight (wait for tie to Magic as a whole). That means J. Rich, Q. Rich, C. Duhon, and Turk along with Dwight. And they might have to send back Patrick Patterson (he's the highest-paid guy left except for Kevin Martin) and their draft picks from this season to make it work within 25 percent required of matching salaries under trade rules.

That means -- if the Magic signed all their draft picks and the ones they get from Houston -- that they would have only about $30 million in salaries. They also would have only 4 players who had ever started in an NBA game (86 total games other than Jameer), 5 rookies, and 3 second-year players. The Magic also would get about a $39 million trade exception.

(Edit: I forgot that Asik signed that offer sheet. No way that Chicago matches that. So, we'd probably have to take back Martin -- UGH!!. That would mean $40 million in salary this year instead.)

That scenario raises another possibility. That they hire the cheapest coach possible. And that DeVos sells the team in the next year. I mean, if Hennigan is trying to strip the roster of that much payroll, then that generally is the reason teams do it -- to sell the team. Maybe even Hennigan only has been brought in to bust up the team, like Weisbrod was, and isn't here for the long term.

This post is going to touch all of the key threads, but overall, it affects the Magic most so I'm going to put it here.

Good news for you bottom out fans. There are reports the Rockets are going to amnesty Scola (wait for tie to Magic) and that if they do, basically their goal is to absorb all the contracts the Magic might want to move in a trade for Dwight (wait for tie to Magic as a whole). That means J. Rich, Q. Rich, C. Duhon, and Turk along with Dwight. And they might have to send back Patrick Patterson (he's the highest-paid guy left except for Kevin Martin) and their draft picks from this season to make it work within 25 percent required of matching salaries under trade rules.

That means -- if the Magic signed all their draft picks and the ones they get from Houston -- that they would have only about $30 million in salaries. They also would have only 4 players who had ever started in an NBA game (86 total games other than Jameer), 5 rookies, and 3 second-year players. The Magic also would get about a $39 million trade exception.

That scenario raises another possibility. That they hire the cheapest coach possible. And that DeVos sells the team in the next year. I mean, if Hennigan is trying to strip the roster of that much payroll, then that generally is the reason teams do it -- to sell the team. Maybe even Hennigan only has been brought in to bust up the team, like Weisbrod was, and isn't here for the long term.

Who is the fifth rookie? And the 3rd 2nd yr player?

Who is the fifth rookie? And the 3rd 2nd yr player?

The 3 Houston drafted, plus the 2 the Magic drafted. The 3rd 2nd-year player would be Patterson if Houston sent him back in the deal. Or Morris if they sent him instead, but Patterson made the most money of their young guys so I figured he would be the guy to come back.

The 3 Houston drafted, plus the 2 the Magic drafted. The 3rd 2nd-year player would be Patterson if Houston sent him back in the deal. Or Morris if they sent him instead, but Patterson made the most money of their young guys so I figured he would be the guy to come back.

Patterson would be a 3rd year player. And, im just wondering would you rather have jones or white?

Patterson would be a 3rd year player. And, im just wondering would you rather have jones or white?

Really? He's been real memorable in his first two seasons. But it doesn't matter now. We would have to take back Kevin Martin instead and have $40 million in salaries this year. Between Martin and Redick, who would have to play small forward? I forgot that Houston signed Asik to that offer sheet. No way Chicago matches.

I'm saying the Magic would get all three draft picks. White makes me nervous. Dude is a nice player but he's afraid to get on an airplane. That's not going to work in the NBA. Could screw up his brain for games.

So, now Ping says the coaching search is down to 2 -- Jacque Vaughn and Brian Shaw. So, if Vaughn gets the job, we know they are just trying to spend as little money as possible and not trying to win.

Of course, they'll probably hire one of the former Pistons.

Is anyone keeping track of Ping's scorecard? I think the only thing he's been right on is Dwight wanting SVG fired. And JVG pretty much broke that for him on a national TV game so I don't give Ping credit for that.

Wojnarowski:

The Candidacy of San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn has gathered momentum in Orlando's coaching search, league sources tell Y! sports

Between Brian Shaw and Jacque Vaughn, Vaughn is probably the more cereberal of the two. In terms of coaching experience, Shaw (8 yrs, 7 with Lakers) has considerably more than Vaughn (2 yrs with Spurs).

Why would we know that? I don't understand your reasoning here.

Otis screwed up the Magic salary cap with crappy contracts like Jrich and Dudu.

• Upvote 1