Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

I don't get why people are freaking out about Vaughn. I just don't.

And no. People assumed that.

I'm not freaking out over Vaughn, but I don't like that he has only been an assistant coach for 2 years. Firing SVG for him is a massive downgrade, but whoever we hire may just end up being a sacrifical lamb for the franchise as they rebuild.

I dont think we need a relaxed Jameer, we need him to step his game up. I know you were speaking from a mindset perspective, but I wasn't pleased with his demeanor last season at all. He needs to step it up across the board imo. That being said I don't hate the contract given the alternatives out there. He is running out of time to produce all-star worthy numbers again, so he isn't the long term answer still.

I liked what we saw from Jameer once Dwight was out of the picture.

“@GeryWoelfel: League sources say Jacque Vaughn is front-runner, with Lindsey Hunter second for Magic job.” Uh oh.

If the Magic hire Jacque Vaughn as their head coach, then either everyone else told them no, or they are just trying to punish the fans. They won't be trying to build for the future. They'll just be biding their time.

For God's sake, the best things you could say about Vaughn as a player was he didn't turn over the ball and he was an adequate defender. Hennigan needs to get a look at some old game film. The Magic hated him as a PLAYER so much that they only kept him on the roster one season. He played 10-plus years but never averaged better than 6.6 pts and 4.3 assists.

• Downvote 6

If the Magic hire Jacque Vaughn as their head coach, then either everyone else told them no, or they are just trying to punish the fans. They won't be trying to build for the future. They'll just be biding their time.

For God's sake, the best things you could say about Vaughn as a player was he didn't turn over the ball and he was an adequate defender. Hennigan needs to get a look at some old game film. The Magic hated him as a PLAYER so much that they only kept him on the roster one season. He played 10-plus years but never averaged better than 6.6 pts and 4.3 assists.

Are you really judging whether or not he can coach based on how he played?

Vaughn made a better NBA PG than Stan would have. So, by your logic, he will be a better coach, and since Stan was a hell of a coach, Vaughn should be nothing short of amazing.

Am I doing this right?

This might be the worst post of the year. Really??? Ugghh

wtf? i'm not gonna pretend that i know a lot about vaughn as a coach, but i like fact he was a point guard under pop, pop thought enough of him to hire him as an assistant coach. henny knows him from being in san antonio at the same time. maybe you can watch some spurs summer league starting tomorrow and give your critique of his coaching...

wow! at the guys pissed about signing nelson. but i think he didnt understand the money part of it.lol and jacque was a pg(floor general) under pop and like stu said(i think it was stu) pop wanted him on his staff so that speaks volumes as much as kobe/shaq/phil liking shaw. and as far as devos selling the team wow never heard that b4

I'm not saying you had to be an NBA player to be a coach. A lot of the guys who weren't NBA PGs are assistant coaches for a long time before becoming a head coach.

But most of the former point guards who are NBA coaches were good point guards -- i.e., Doc Rivers, Mark Jackson, Skiles. Avery Johnson was at least known as a motivating floor leader. Vinny Del Negro was nothing to scream about either, but he was OK. Not all former NBA PGs were good coaches either. Johnny Davis was an NBA point guard, too, (and he won a championship) but hasn't panned out as a head coach (though he supposedly is a real good assistant).

So, you're honestly going to tell me that you are confident that Jacque Vaughn will be a good NBA head coach? Because it makes so much sense if you are planning to have a team mostly with guys who haven't played in the NBA to have a coach who has limited experience coaching in the NBA (Vaughn 2 years as an assistant and Hunter 1 year). Or are you just disagreeing to disagree with me?

• Downvote 1