Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

The Nets and Lakers are luxury tax teams. It is impossible for Dwight to get sign and traded there.

Depends on the trade, right? I mean, Brooklyn clearly thinks they can hoist Brook and garbage off on us. In theory, they could match the financial load, I'd imagine. Of course, penguins would skate in hell before the Magic would take Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard, but still...

• Upvote 1

Depends on the trade, right? I mean, Brooklyn clearly thinks they can hoist Brook and garbage off on us. In theory, they could match the financial load, I'd imagine. Of course, penguins would skate in hell before the Magic would take Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard, but still...

I'm talking about next summer.

Starting next summer it is against the CBA for tax teams to do sign and trade deals.

The Nets and Lakers are luxury tax teams. It is impossible for Dwight to get sign and traded there.

Well, first off, I completely forgot about that new provision, since it hasn't actually started yet, but it does kick in after this 2012/2013 season.

However, teams have to be above the apron ($4 Million over the tax limit) to lose their ability to acquire via sign and trade, so the Lakers and the Nets would need to shed some salary to be players.

It would also be possible for a renting team to give up on their dreams of retaining Dwight and trade him at the deadline.

I'm talking about next summer.

But part of a sign-and-trade is the trading part, right? If we signed and traded Dwight to Brooklyn or LA, they'd still have to trade something back. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding it - I'm more of a psychology guy than a rules guy.

But part of a sign-and-trade is the trading part, right? If we signed and traded Dwight to Brooklyn or LA, they'd still have to trade something back. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding it - I'm more of a psychology guy than a rules guy.

As of the 2013-2014 season, any team above the apron ($4 million over the tax threshold) can not acquire a player via sign and trade.

Via Larry Coon:

88. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.

The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).

The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 43).

Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1.

Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.

The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).

The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced, as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 32).

The starting salary in a contract signed for a sign-and-trade may be any amount up to the player's maximum, however if the player meets the 5th Year 30% Max criteria (see question number 17) he cannot receive a salary greater than 25% of the cap. Raises are limited to 4.5%. The player may be considered to have a lower outgoing salary for trade purposes, which can complicate the trade (see question number 86).

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a signing bonus, then either team can pay it. By default the team that signs the player pays the signing bonus (as with any other contract), but since a sign-and-trade is in essence a contract with the receiving team, the teams can agree that the receiving team will pay it. Any portion that is paid by the signing team counts toward the team's annual limit for cash included in a trade (see question number 94), which in effect limits the portion of the signing bonus that can be paid by the signing team.

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade. See question number 92 for more information on how long a team must wait before they can trade a player.

• Upvote 1

Stern calls out HWNSNBU link

I actually get to break news for once. :shard:

"To me, it is the soap opera our fans turn in for - the drama on the court and the drama off the court," Stern said. "When we cease to have a story popping up, we probably won't exist.

"I think what it is, is that that's the way we are. That's the way it has been in baseball and the NFL and hockey and basketball. And frankly, it engages our fans, it engages our reporters, it engages our bloggers. It makes people happy, mad, sad. It's just the life in sports."

I think Stern has been spending too much time with Vince McMahon.

As of the 2013-2014 season, any team above the apron ($4 million over the tax threshold) can not acquire a player via sign and trade.

Via Larry Coon:

88. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.

The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).

The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 43).

Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1.

Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.

The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).

The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced, as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 32).

The starting salary in a contract signed for a sign-and-trade may be any amount up to the player's maximum, however if the player meets the 5th Year 30% Max criteria (see question number 17) he cannot receive a salary greater than 25% of the cap. Raises are limited to 4.5%. The player may be considered to have a lower outgoing salary for trade purposes, which can complicate the trade (see question number 86).

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a signing bonus, then either team can pay it. By default the team that signs the player pays the signing bonus (as with any other contract), but since a sign-and-trade is in essence a contract with the receiving team, the teams can agree that the receiving team will pay it. Any portion that is paid by the signing team counts toward the team's annual limit for cash included in a trade (see question number 94), which in effect limits the portion of the signing bonus that can be paid by the signing team.

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade. See question number 92 for more information on how long a team must wait before they can trade a player.

Good info. So there's pretty much no way that Brooklyn could acquire Dwight. WHY is he so adamant about going there? His agent must understand it's off the table. And LA, too, right?