Dan Savage

First Move For Rob Hennigan?

He had to overpay for Rashard because he didn't draft Granger and instead wasted the pick on Fran. After signing Rashard we lost all cap flexibility and we've been retreading washed up players ever since. It's amazing how throughly Otis screwed this team, it's borderline impressive...I mean sucking so bad, costing the ownership millions of extra dollars, and somehow keeping his job as long as he did.

Don't forget trading Rashard's contract for an even worse contract in Gilbert's, then amnestying him the next year, costing the organization $60 million for a guy not on our team anymore.

Don't forget trading Rashard's contract for an even worse contract in Gilbert's, then amnestying him the next year, costing the organization $60 million for a guy not on our team anymore.

[/quote

It was 60 million bucks plus....where the little old meaningless "plus" represents more money than 99% of the us population will make this year. What a deal.

I am not saying Durant will leave. But he has not been an UNRESTRICTED free agent yet.

It could be a coincidence, but I will say that he has taken a lot of the same steps that other guys who have left their teams have taken:

2. He fired his agent during the season.
  3. He hired one of those guys in the same agency that handles Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul (and maybe Melo).
  4. There has been chatter about whether he gets the ball enough and that another guy on the team shoots too much.
  5. He lost in the NBA Finals, appeared to kind of lose steam in the last game of the series, and was seen very disappointed (in fact crying) after the final game.

I'm surprised no one jumped on you about this. Signed with Kobe's agent and also signed a 5 year deal last season I believe, he just goes about his business quietly.

I didn't know Otis Smith had an account here.

I don't recall suggesting Orlando overpay any washed-up players or build a team consisting of only three-point shooters and Dwight. How does this post make me in any way comparable to Otis Smith?

What I really would like to know is: if not something like this, then what? If Orlando wants to keep Dwight, they will have to get competitive. To do that, they need players, and not the ones on the team now. They need all-stars. What about trying to get a good (if a bit overzealous) SG and an all-star caliber 3/4, both of whom Dwight likes, is foolish? Are there other better players available? Are we suggesting Orlando should build a team around Dwight and RA and a bunch of MLE-level players, built by the time D12 is 30? Do we think Dwight re-signs, then waits for the 2014 offseason, then brings guys in? What I'm suggesting is simply that Orlando should do whatever it takes to build the best team they can by the start of the 2013 season.

If you don't like Ellis, who else gives Orlando an aggressive scoring option who can handle the ball? I'd take that too, if the money's similar. Josh Smith makes so much sense for Orlando, but what assets do they have to trade for him? They will need to clear cap space and hope to sign him. This is all I've really suggested here. Did I make it too complicated by explaining reasons behind each move?

And to those who commented that this could only happen in video games, I will suggest that you look at the ways the recent NBA champions were put together, minus the Mavericks maybe. The Gasol trade would have gotten a similar response, as would the Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett trades. And anyone suggesting four year ago that Miami trade all their players and assets away in hopes that DWade, LJames, and CBosh all take less than they could get anywhere else would have gotten laughed off this forum. What's the last team other than San Antonio to win a championship building through the draft? Activity is rewarded. Sitting around hoping things come to you is not.

• Upvote 1

First things first, hire a young, sharp, first time head coach like Brian Shaw. You don't want a "former" NBA coach, because there is a reason they are a "former" coach they didn't get it done and were and got fired! No Re-treads. Get a fresh attitude and someone that can relate to the young players on and off the court.

Second, send DH 12 packing, but do it on the teams terms, not his. Send him where the team gets the best deal regardless of what he wants. He is a free agent after next season anyway so he will go where he wants then. Do it soon or it will continue to eat away at the team. Besides anyone thinking about taking the coaching job doesn't want to start with that mess. Package up Jerk-a-loo with him and show Chris Duhon the door.

This is a new beginning in Orlando make it happen. You have some of the best fans in the NBA, keep em...........

• Upvote 1