Sign in to follow this  
three3d

Cause to worry ? We have no GM yet !

I too share the concerns of three3d. I think it's preposterous that this organization is seriously thinking about conducting a draft without a HC of GM in place. We all know that the current ownership has allowed some pretty dubious management to run rampant for years now, but I think now it's time for a change.

But I am not just a man of criticisms, I am a man of criticisms and solutions. So I humbly submit the following to the Magic organization as a solution to their current dilemma:

I would like to throw my name into the conversation for potential HC of GM candidates.

That's right. I, Brooks Thompson, former head coach of two-time NJCAA Division I Champion Yavapai Community College, former NBA 1st round draft pick, former contender for 1994-1995 NBA Rookie of the Year (a season during which I scored 20 points against the perennial championship contender Los Angeles Lakers), and current head basketball coach at the University of Texas-San Antonio, am willing to lend my expertise to the Orlando Magic organization in order to grow this organization into a legitimate championship contender, much like the Los Angeles Lakers against whom I scored 20 points as a rookie.

My pedigree speaks for itself, but if anyone needs more convincing, look no further than the fact that I was a part of the 1996-1997 Utah Jazz, who went on to win the Western Conference and put up a respectable fight against Michael Jordan's mighty Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals. I have been involved with championship-caliber organizations throughout my career at every level. I personally cannot think of a better fit for HC of GM than myself, and I say that as a Magic fan, not just as myself.

I bring to the table three strategies, and I'll go ahead and lay them out here because I'm sure this will suffice as an interview once Magic management and ownership reads this (which they do).

1. Move away from Stan Van Dumby's stubborn style of playing the worst players as many minutes as possible. I believe this was a mistake on Stan's part. Instead, I believe that the best way for this team to compete is to play its best players as many minutes as possible. So if I am hired as HC of GM, you can rest assured that Clark, Liggins, Harper, Smith, and whoever I decide to take with the 19th pick will all receive heavy playing time in every game. There is no reason not to play these guys. They're better than the team I took to two consecutive NJCAA Division I championships, and that was a pretty good team. A championship team.

2. Move away from Otis Smith's ridiculous policy of acquiring bad players on non-expiring contracts. As HC of GM, I will trade for so many expiring contracts that the city of Orlando will no longer be familiar with the concept of a multi-year contract. The benefits of this are two-fold: 1. Expiring contracts expire, which means we don't actually have to pay these players any money, and 2. Other teams always want expiring contracts to clear cap space, so we will always be able to execute subsequent trades for superstar-level players. This is a no-brainer, and frankly I'm surprised that no one in the organization has thought to do this yet.

3. Shift the organization's focus away from building new arenas and selling skyboxes and instead focus on winning NBA championships. This is the biggest one. The new arena is nice and all, and I will admit that I love the level of convenience present during games. But an NBA basketball team should be in the business of winning basketball games and basketball championships, not selling tickets and making profits for Amway. I realize this may be a controversial stance to take, but as HC of GM I will shift this focus toward catering to the everyday fan. I will slash ticket prices and amenities, and instead put all of this organization's resources into putting a winning product on the court. This is not going to be easy, as I will be breaking all broadcast contracts and thus fans will not be able to watch games on television, but on the bright side you will be able to buy a lower bowl ticket for $10 and we won't have to pay our players millions of dollars, which will free up a ton of cap room. In the end it's a win-win.

So, in closing, vote for Brooks Thompson as HC of GM and I promise you, average fan, that I will take the Magic to promised lands that until now have been only dreamt.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thats my bad I didn't know.

How could you miss two massive threads right at the top of the forum? I also think you are confusing nothing going on with not knowing what is going on.

I too share the concerns of three3d. I think it's preposterous that this organization is seriously thinking about conducting a draft without a HC of GM in place. We all know that the current ownership has allowed some pretty dubious management to run rampant for years now, but I think now it's time for a change.

But I am not just a man of criticisms, I am a man of criticisms and solutions. So I humbly submit the following to the Magic organization as a solution to their current dilemma:

I would like to throw my name into the conversation for potential HC of GM candidates.

That's right. I, Brooks Thompson, former head coach of two-time NJCAA Division I Champion Yavapai Community College, former NBA 1st round draft pick, former contender for 1994-1995 NBA Rookie of the Year (a season during which I scored 20 points against the perennial championship contender Los Angeles Lakers), and current head basketball coach at the University of Texas-San Antonio, am willing to lend my expertise to the Orlando Magic organization in order to grow this organization into a legitimate championship contender, much like the Los Angeles Lakers against whom I scored 20 points as a rookie.

My pedigree speaks for itself, but if anyone needs more convincing, look no further than the fact that I was a part of the 1996-1997 Utah Jazz, who went on to win the Western Conference and put up a respectable fight against Michael Jordan's mighty Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals. I have been involved with championship-caliber organizations throughout my career at every level. I personally cannot think of a better fit for HC of GM than myself, and I say that as a Magic fan, not just as myself.

I bring to the table three strategies, and I'll go ahead and lay them out here because I'm sure this will suffice as an interview once Magic management and ownership reads this (which they do).

1. Move away from Stan Van Dumby's stubborn style of playing the worst players as many minutes as possible. I believe this was a mistake on Stan's part. Instead, I believe that the best way for this team to compete is to play its best players as many minutes as possible. So if I am hired as HC of GM, you can rest assured that Clark, Liggins, Harper, Smith, and whoever I decide to take with the 19th pick will all receive heavy playing time in every game. There is no reason not to play these guys. They're better than the team I took to two consecutive NJCAA Division I championships, and that was a pretty good team. A championship team.

2. Move away from Otis Smith's ridiculous policy of acquiring bad players on non-expiring contracts. As HC of GM, I will trade for so many expiring contracts that the city of Orlando will no longer be familiar with the concept of a multi-year contract. The benefits of this are two-fold: 1. Expiring contracts expire, which means we don't actually have to pay these players any money, and 2. Other teams always want expiring contracts to clear cap space, so we will always be able to execute subsequent trades for superstar-level players. This is a no-brainer, and frankly I'm surprised that no one in the organization has thought to do this yet.

3. Shift the organization's focus away from building new arenas and selling skyboxes and instead focus on winning NBA championships. This is the biggest one. The new arena is nice and all, and I will admit that I love the level of convenience present during games. But an NBA basketball team should be in the business of winning basketball games and basketball championships, not selling tickets and making profits for Amway. I realize this may be a controversial stance to take, but as HC of GM I will shift this focus toward catering to the everyday fan. I will slash ticket prices and amenities, and instead put all of this organization's resources into putting a winning product on the court. This is not going to be easy, as I will be breaking all broadcast contracts and thus fans will not be able to watch games on television, but on the bright side you will be able to buy a lower bowl ticket for $10 and we won't have to pay our players millions of dollars, which will free up a ton of cap room. In the end it's a win-win.

So, in closing, vote for Brooks Thompson as HC of GM and I promise you, average fan, that I will take the Magic to promised lands that until now have been only dreamt.

You, sir, have my vote. And as we all know, if we can get a vocal majority on this forum, then the Magic are contractually obligated to hire who we want to hire.

YES WE CAN!

Meh, i'll think about it

Post of the Year

As of right now we would be going into the draft without HC of GM. I don't think at this point anbody could come in and have a feel for what we need, or how said player we draft can fit in with the team. I didn't start this topic to have all this EXTRA crap be said. Just posing a question as a Magic fan, and as a fan that is not in favor of the way things are looking for my favirot team.

Having a GM that has a feel for this team is irrelevant. The team is gonna get blown up anyways, contracts expiring next summer and players are going to be traded. Whether Dwight is here or not this team will not look the same come 2013. Stop *****ing, cause If we would of had a GM by now and still ended up being horrible in two years, you would be the first to cry and say we should of took more time on the GM and head coch search in 2012, our management rushed under pressure as always. Relax dude.

CEO Martins and owners are not fair. We deserve an immediate HC of GM. They should know what they are doing to us, the members of this board.

What kind of a people do they think we are? Is it possible they do not realize that we shall never cease to perservere against them until they have been taught a lesson which they and the world will never forget?

Apologies to WC.

How could you miss two massive threads right at the top of the forum? I also think you are confusing nothing going on with not knowing what is going on.

I started a more specific topic, talking about how this is worrisome heading into what I think is a very important NBA draft. This draft is very deep, and I'm SICK of the Magic striking out when it comes to drafting players. Outside JJ and Dwight I find it hard to say we have picked any player worth playing the last 8 years. I take that back, I'll add C-Lee in there but we traded him. I don't want my team to look as bad as we are, this is FOOLISHLY stupid to not have a GM in place.