Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

A Special 10k Post, Tuesday Edition of Case Of The Mondays: Who is DoM hating now?

So what you're saying is that no one is capable of accurately judging a player's performance based on, well, anything, because it is theoretically possible that the player's performance could feasibly undergo a radical*** transformation under different circumstances, and any discussion that doesn't implicitly state that fact is a lie.

Thanks. Now we don't have to discuss basketball anymore, because you've negated any possible discussion that could be had about any topic ever.

Spin what I said all you want, not what I'm trying to point out DOM.

Saying a player (that mind you has demonstrated an ability to make exceptional basketball plays) 'sucks' and everyone else who disagree's is an 'idiot' (both radical points of view, but you are entitled) - based solely on advanced statistics, with no inclusion of any sort of outside analysis of his coaching history, system, teammates, non-number based intel - is hasty. Bust out statistics all you want, but there's more to it with basketball. Had you not taken such an extreme interpretation of your statistics for the sake of theatrics, we probably could have agreed that Monta Ellis still has to prove himself. Again where we disagree is that he 'sucks' and has no chance of ever contributing to an elite team.

And @treehorn, i met your condescending tone with condescending tone, for that I apologize - getting derogatory is unnecessary. (and the whole UF comment should pale in comparison to the ego's being tossed around this discussion.)

You all, moderators included, don't have to worry about me because I'm already having rushing sensations of self-loathing having spent so much of my time today arguing about MONTA ELLIS, wow. I'm finished with this.

Go Magic, I hope we keep Dwight (though it's depressingly like a high school soap opera at this point). I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.

I like the idea that "Monta Ellis sucking is just DoM's opinion!" is supposed to be some kind of revelation.

Of course it's my opinion, just like "he might be better somewhere else" is your opinion. But all the other stuff? That's all fact that support that opinion, and that's the difference here: I provided evidence to support my opinion. You didn't.

Or to put it differently: "Monta Ellis sucks" is the thesis. The fact that Ellis is ghastly inefficient on offense, doesn't defend, has been proven throughout his career to have minimal game impact by any metrics, and that his team is 3 points better per 100 possessions when he's not in the game are examples of the evidence that supports that thesis.

Saying a player (that mind you has demonstrated an ability to make exceptional basketball plays) 'sucks' and everyone else who disagree's is an 'idiot' (both radical points of view, but you are entitled) - based solely on advanced statistics, with no inclusion of any sort of outside analysis of his coaching history, system, teammates, non-number based intel - is hasty

Still not getting it. No wonder you missed the point of your your economics professor was trying to explain to you.

Saying he is inefficient (which should be obvious if you watch Monta play) and backing that up with statistics as DoM has done is a valid and well supported position. Countering with "No he isn't, I watch him play", "He's had a bad coach" , "He might do better in a different scenario" doesn't change the truth of the situation in that he is inefficient.

Last post, promise.

No where did I EVER discount the use of statistics. NO WHERE!

The point I've been making is... he proved that Ellis was inefficient on GS, which I AGREE HE WAS!! Then went so far to say he, 'sucked'. I say, not so fast. He might be inefficient on GS, but get him a good coach, different system and an elite player to play with and those flashes of brilliance he often shows (the guy is an athletic freak) might show through a lot more (likewise, mistakes might decline).

Apologies for any offense, I'm just trying to get my point across.

No where did I EVER discount the use of statistics. NO WHERE!

Actually, what you did, in pretty much every single post, was to infer that all analysis here about Monta was limited to nothing but statistical analysis, and therefore wrong/faulty because we all know stats lie. You constantly infer that DoM's stance is faulty because he never watches Monta play basketball. A point which you have no basis for making and nothing to suggest such a fabrication is even remotely true, yet you continue to spout it off in support of your superior empirical evidence.