Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

The 3 Point Dunk **Meh**

Would you call this a (3 point) dunk?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. and Was that Superman "dunk" a dunk?

Firstly, let me tell you that this came up during a heated discussion between myself and some folks during our game against the Clippers.

I ask the mods kindly to not lock or delete this thread as the discussion is serious and we need to find an answer. I think my veteran status at this forum should allow me to have this thread going for a while

My point was that the famous superman "dunk" wasn't really a dunk, but a lay-up or lay-down if you will. The other guys said it was so I came up with this brilliant argument:

If Dwight had jumped behind the 3 point line and thrown the ball with tremendous force downwards (their definition of a dunk) would you guys call it a 3 point dunk? My point is that to dunk you need to touch the rim.

I present you guys with an illustration to clarify my point

10ydyms.png

So, would you call it a dunk?

• Downvote 6

A dunk is throwing the ball down into the basket. Technically speaking, that would be a three point dunk. I would agree that the Superman dunk was overrated and it would have looked better had grabbed the rim, but it was still a dunk by definition.

Your opinion is irrelevant. A dunk is throwing the ball down through the hoop, hand doesn't have to touch the rim. Why does this need to be addressed further?

And to your question, yes, that would be a dunk. It's also almost nearly impossible for any human being to be able to jump high enough from the 3pt line to be able to throw the ball down through the hoop, so it's pointless to even argue.

A dunk is throwing the ball down into the basket. Technically speaking, that would be a three point dunk. I would agree that the Superman dunk was overrated and it would have looked better had grabbed the rim, but it was still a dunk by definition.

Where do you draw the line between throwing and laying the ball in?

Where do you draw the line between throwing and laying the ball in?

There's a difference between throwing something downward and throwing something upward... That's pretty much it. It's pretty black and white.