Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

2012 Election thread

Oh, and Obama also now endorses same sex marriages, but continues to believe it's a state's rights issue.

I'm not sure what political strategy he's using by supporting gay marriage. He is quickly alienating a large bloc of the black vote (the bloc that is overwhelmingly democrat).

CBS has Romney up now.

And Obama is not worried about the black vote because he knows that they're going to vote for him regardless so he can continue to ignore them.

Can someone please please tell me what Obama has done that has been good for this county? Unemployment is still way too high and does not even include the numbers of those who have just quit looking. The amount of debt he has created is putting us on the road to becoming Greece and yet the economy is slowing down again all the while gas prices are way too high. Oh and please don't tell me he got Osama, cause that process was started long before he took office, and it the brave men and women in our military that got him anyway.

There is no good answer. You were spot on.

There has to be something he has done that is good, right? I mean the media plays the guy to be God. I for the life of me, cannot think of anything and it scares the hell out of me he could get 4 more years to destroy use further.

The amount of debt he has created is putting us on the road to becoming Greece

This is not only untrue, it's ridiculous, and demonstrates a gross lack of understanding of how the US debt actually works.

The US government has been in substantially worse debt in the past, and they didn't go bankrupt. Read a book.

Also: If you're going to claim that a mission authorized by Obama's administration after several years of recon and data analysis done by the CIA under the Obama administration to get Bin Laden doesn't count because, I guess, the CIA existed and Osama Bin Laden existed before Obama took office, that's fine. That's idiotic, but you're welcome to think that.

However, to do that and then turn around and say that Obama should take full blame for an economy that was in freefall when he took office, and for an employment picture that is better now than it was when he took office just because it's "still way too high"?

That's hypocritical and asinine. Either Bush gets credit for killing Bin Laden and blame for the ****ty economy/job picture Obama inherited, or Obama gets credit/blame for both.

Also, the government releases monthly unemployment numbers. I don't know why you're complaining about people who've stopped looking not being counted, because they are counted. It's just that the U6 is a different number than the U3, which is what is considered nominal unemployment. That's been the case for decades. If you want to go by that standard, than the U6 for most of Bush's presidency hovered between 8 and 9%, even before the stock market tanked, and people called that "low unemployment" because the U3 was still below 5. And they were right to do that, because that's what unemployment IS in terms of politics, and picking and choosing which of 6 different unemployment numbers you want to use based on how it best reflects the argument you're making is hyper-partisan bull**** that insults the intelligence of everyone involved. It was hyper-partisan bull**** when Liberals complained about it under Bush but ignored it under Clinton. It's bull**** now that Conservatives are doing the same thing.

And I'm not sure you, based off the flame-baity confrontational wording of your post, want people actually talking about the U6 instead of the U3, anyway: the U3 has dropped .6% in the last 12 months. The U6 has dropped 1.4% over the same time period.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Romney really has a chance, which is fine by me as I think Obama will help education/ not hurt it as bad. As a student personal interest vote haha.

Unless Obama figures out a way to help the ecomony, your education could be useless.

Just curious though, why do you think Obama will be better for education or not hurt as bad?

This is not only untrue, it's ridiculous, and demonstrates a gross lack of understanding of how the US debt actually works.

The US government has been in substantially worse debt in the past, and they didn't go bankrupt. Read a book.

Also: If you're going to claim that a mission authorized by Obama's administration after several years of recon and data analysis done by the CIA under the Obama administration to get Bin Laden doesn't count because, I guess, the CIA existed and Osama Bin Laden existed before Obama took office, that's fine. That's idiotic, but you're welcome to think that.

However, to do that and then turn around and say that Obama should take full blame for an economy that was in freefall when he took office, and for an employment picture that is better now than it was when he took office just because it's "still way too high"?

That's hypocritical and asinine. Either Bush gets credit for killing Bin Laden and blame for the ****ty economy/job picture Obama inherited, or Obama gets credit/blame for both.

Also, the government releases monthly unemployment numbers. I don't know why you're complaining about people who've stopped looking not being counted, because they are counted. It's just that the U6 is a different number than the U3, which is what is considered nominal unemployment. That's been the case for decades. If you want to go by that standard, than the U6 for most of Bush's presidency hovered between 8 and 9%, even before the stock market tanked, and people called that "low unemployment" because the U3 was still below 5. And they were right to do that, because that's what unemployment IS in terms of politics, and picking and choosing which of 6 different unemployment numbers you want to use based on how it best reflects the argument you're making is hyper-partisan bull**** that insults the intelligence of everyone involved. It was hyper-partisan bull**** when Liberals complained about it under Bush but ignored it under Clinton. It's bull**** now that Conservatives are doing the same thing.

And I'm not sure you, based off the flame-baity confrontational wording of your post, want people actually talking about the U6 instead of the U3, anyway: the U3 has dropped .6% in the last 12 months. The U6 has dropped 1.4% over the same time period.

So we can just keep borrowing money and all will be fine? I tried that personnally and it just kept getting worse not better. Now debt free and loving life. I know my personal finiances are not the same as our goverments, but I know the debt grows when spending is higher than earnings. Just to amuse me, please let me know how debt actually works. Oh, any books you would suggest?

The processof getting Osama was started long before he took office and he only az'd the raid that finally got him. It was a good thing, which I feel if you are going to give a president credit for, then split it between the two.

I did not know about the U3 and U6 numbers (not afraid to admit it) but I did mispeak in saying the people not looking are not counted. The numbers are lower in part due to more and more people giving up.

Do you feel these unemployment number are acceptable? And these gas prices, liking them?

So we can just keep borrowing money and all will be fine?

I'll deal with the rest of your post when I have more time, but I'm going to deal with this sentence right now.

I've asked for, and been granted, permission from the MODs of this forum to function as the de-facto MOD of this thread.

I want this thread to be an open space for sharing of ideas for anyone, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum.

However, obvious and juvenile flamebaiting like the sentence above has no place in any legitimate discussion of anything. If you want to discuss things freely, you're welcome to, and if you want to ask questions from the opposing side, you're welcome to do that as well. However, obvious flaming and trolling will not be tolerated. You'll get one warning, and then you're done from the thread.

FTLOTG, consider this your one warning for this sentence, and for your last several posts. If you have questions about Obama's policies, the debt, or anything else, ask them. But obvious flamebait won't be tolerated.