Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

Wow, I really like this thread. Thanks to the Op for sharing the info and I truely feel more confident the Magic will be able to find a way to keep Dwight here. Maybe he just overreacted with his trade request ...just like couples overreact when they get in fights. but in the end, they remain together and find a way to work it out. Doesn't always work out all the time, but this at least gives the Magic fans hope. If the Magic keep playing like they have the last 2 games, this should be a great year!

Here is a little inside story I just got.

For those who don't know, I sit low enough to hear and see all of the players interactions. Well, last night I didn't go to the game but my friend who we share seats with did. He is friends with some people, who know some people. Anyway, he and Jack (he is high up, and I'll name protect him in case he didn't want his name out) were in the Club at the Arena, when Dwight's bodyguard came walking in. They know eachother from here and there and started to talk a little bit. Obviously the Dwight staying/going came up and the Bodyguard said flat out "don't believe everything you hear, Dwight wants to stay, he really does." So they countered with well, why doesn't he just say so and whats the deal, etc? Again the bodyguard said he wanted to stay but there were some things that have started to get Dwight mad. He spelled it all out:

Over the summer, prior to Dwight asking for the trade, he flew up to Grand Rapids to meet with DeVos about how he felt. He also had a few minor (I see them as immature but subtle) demands. 1- he wanted Deron Williams and/or Stephen Jackson/Monta Ellis (everyone knows this). 2- he wanted his personal trainer to be allowed to travel with the team and himself. This is something that DeVos, for whatever reason denied him of. Then Dwight said he wanted to change some small tedious stuff, like when he got flown to the All Star Game last year, the Magic flew him on their sponsor airline; Air Tran or Jet Blue, instead of on a Jet like the rest of the All Stars got. He said he wanted to be treated like all of the other "Stars" in the league pretty much.

So, my friend and *Jack, (much like all of you now) said minus Williams/Jackson/Ellis, that sounded dumb and easily attainable. The bodyguard stated again that if the Magic got another any all-star style player and some things changed that Dwight would stay. *Jack is personal friends with DeVos, who was at the game last night, and asked if he could share this little story. The Bodyguard said "you can tell anybody you would like." So, *Jack went straight to DeVos himself at the game and started telling him what he had just heard. DeVos nodded the entire time and said that was an accurate story.

So there you have it, straight from both sides.

After reading this did anyone catch themselves reiterating part of the "Things Orlando Magic Fans Say" video? I turned to my roommate and thought about telling him Dwight was going to stay in Orlando, only to realize that parts of that video were extremely accurate.

Otis was his mentor in GS. That prob was the reason.

EXACTLY! It was Otis' idea and convincing of RDV that happened. Dude on here was saying RDV is behind alot of the moves. he is 80+ he just wants to win and has opened his checkbook for management to make it happen.

The Cuban thing mystifies me.

Everyone hated that guy as recently as two years ago, because he's a grinning asshat who almost single handedly raised the average NBA salary by around 2.5 million dollars by throwing the MLE around every year.

That's my point.... fans are such "fans" of the moment. Old Rich DeVos has no blame in this, GM and such does!. The comforting fact moving forward is that our owner isn't cheap and Orlando Fl is an attractive place to play

DeVos is an idiot or possibly so senile that he just doesn't get it. The number one vote getter for the All Star game has to ask to be flown in style to the All Star game? This is the same guy who paid Arenas 20 million dollars to stink up the court? I have a whole new take on this now. It seems that DeVos is taking offense at our star players' requests because he is a typical billionaire owner who doesn't want one of his employees tell him how to run his business. I saw this happen in Chicago when I lived there. Reinsdorf didn't like the fact that Phil Jackson was getting all the credit for the Bulls championships and he refused to extend his contract. Jordan told him that if you don't bring Phil back, I'm not coming back. The rest is history. That organization was in shambles for years because of the ego of the owner. If that happens here, it's gonna be ugly for a long time. Amway is nothing but a legal pyramid scheme, and if DeVos doesn't do this town right, he should be run out of town. Sorry, but I just had to vent a bit, and proclaim that I am no longer pissed at Dwight. He is the heart and soul of this team, and if DeVos has to kiss his ass on I-4 to keep him, then he better do it.

• Upvote 4

He needs to work on his inside game more this off-season. He seems to lack a good post game.

Well, he is only 23 years old, so he's got plenty of time on his side to work at improving his game. That being said, you can't expect a lot of post game from the guy that you want standing beyond the 3 point line for the money shots.