Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Stan Van Gundy Chalk Talk

Hey guys,

Recently had the chance to sit in on a Stan Van Gundy chalk talk session.

It was over an hour long, but in there he broke down the various elements of coaching in the NBA, from his road to the league, how he prepares the team on game days, to how he structures practice and more.

I clipped the videos out into 10 different segments all based on topic.

You can find them all here:

http://www.nba.com/magic/savage_stan_van_gundy_chalk_talk_110711.html

Personally, I found the session extremely insightful and heard some stories that even I haven't heard before.

• Upvote 3

I don't know, I think we're kind of getting Otis-y on Stan.

We "like" this coach.

Used to be a huge fan, still love him like a brother :D, but at the end of the day we couldn't stop Jamal Crawford.

That's not exactly A stuff.

Talking about ball is one thing, and with flip-flops on is another!, but not ultimately relevant.

Anyway, we'll see.

ps. **** the lock-out and the sorts.

ps2. Hey y'all :cheers:

Used to be a huge fan, still love him like a brother :D, but at the end of the day we couldn't stop Jamal Crawford.

We needed a Matt Barnes that game or a Trevor Ariza.

We "like" this coach.

Talking about ball is one thing, and with flip-flops on is another!, but not ultimately relevant.

Anyway, we'll see.

We "Like" this coach because of his many alterations on plays for the fly!

It is not every coach that can save for a critique of his players always!

Only the twin of another basketball producer can think in the same way from what Stan does!

IMHO, the best thing Magic did was to secure what might have opted to play on farms instead! But for those corn he wanted to bring a champion! Oh, what might have been.

We "like" this coach.

Anyway, we'll see.

Both Crawford and Johnson made a living hitting long contested shots the entire series. It was idiotic how many difficult shots they made. I'm not going to use that as an example of why Stan isn't that great of a coach, particularly since it isn't the coach's job to spend time on the court defending them.

Man, if the shots were contested, doesn't that mean that the 'players' did a good job 'defending' them?

Yet still, it's the playoffs; the coach can't chill about it.

I'm not going to ask Jameer to BLOCK Crawford.

But I'm going to ask Stan to come up with something and STOP that bum at SOME POINT within the series.

In all honesty.

Anyway, this story still hurts (frakkin free tickets to Meer for the second round and all...).

Man, if the shots were contested, doesn't that mean that the 'players' did a good job 'defending' them?

Yet still, it's the playoffs; the coach can't chill about it.

I'm not going to ask Jameer to BLOCK Crawford.

But I'm going to ask Stan to come up with something and STOP that bum at SOME POINT within the series.

In all honesty.

Anyway, this story still hurts (frakkin free tickets to Meer for the second round and all...).

I have no issues with the defense against Crawford or Johnson in that series. Good offense beats good defense most of the time. There's nothing our players can do if Crawford consistently hits contested long range jumpers.