Sign in to follow this  
BMP

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

The last 10 seasons have been consistently B quality.

Which is better than 80% of what's on television. It only seems bad because seasons 1-11 have become so engrained in our cultural consciousness.

Newer Simpsons episodes aren't bad; it just seems that way when you can't help but compare them to episodes like Marge Vs The Monorail, which makes everything look bad.

I feel like a lot of the new episodes are similar to previous episodes. While content wise the newer episodes probably stand up to many of the old episodes, it's hard to stay interested when you know the characters well enough to predict the outcome of episodes. South Park is starting to have this problem. Family guy has had this problem for a while now too.

IGN considered it the funniest show ever

but they also considered the Simpsons 2nd so I don't know if I'd read much from it

I'm going to let this comment slide because you're 15 years old.

However, emot-frogout.gif

I find terms like "pioneer" to be completely useless when talking about things like this. What the Simpsons did for animated comedy is significant, but matters precisely dick when discussing its merits as a comedy.

Oddly enough, the real value in both the Simpsons and George Carlin lies not in pure "funniness", for lack of a better term, but rather in their ability to fuse comedy with social commentary and make it work better than either of those things on their own.

The Simpsons at its best was funnier and smarter than anything else going on either at the time or since. Seasons 5-10 of South Park came extremely close, and there are episodes of King of the Hill I'd put up there too (a vastly underrated show).

I agree with the 1st and 2nd paragraph

I'm going to let this comment slide because you're 15 years old.

However, emot-frogout.gif

Have you ever watched the british show "Coupling"? One of the funniest shows I've had the pleasure to watch

Excellent news. Now if we could just get Firefly...forget it.

And about The Simpsons. The first 10-11 seasons of that show produced the best television in existence. Like the artist formerly known as Jackie Treehorn was saying, the show probably mixed comedy with social commentary better than any show before it or since. The Simpsons was so great that Seth MacFarlane has made a career out of badly stealing from it.

And as far as the quality of it now, I can't say with authority since I've only seen a handful of episodes from the previous 6 or so seasons, but when you're on the air for 20+ years, and your chief creator is also making another show, (Futurama) the quality would naturally go down. That's not to say it's bad by any stretch, it's just not reasonable to expect sustained greatest for such a long time.

edit: I might have to watch both parts of "Who Shot Mr. Burns" now. Great ****.

Seth MacFarlane is VERY talented and I could say Family Guy has helped me dealing with some rough times, love that show.

Hank Azaria (the guy that played Huff and voices Moe & Apu) is my favourite guy from the Simpsons

Seth MacFarlane is VERY talented and I could say Family Guy has helped me dealing with some rough times, love that show.

Hank Azaria (the guy that played Huff and voices Moe & Apu) is my favourite guy from the Simpsons

I only like the first two seasons of Family Guy.

But with its creator, he'd be the first to tell you he has taken quite a bit from The Simpsons. I'm not saying I care, since everyone steals from each other, I was just pointing out where he got his schtick from

Family Guy went from above average to average to excruciating. I've never seen any tv program that relied so heavily on its formula than Family Guy does.

Even late period episodes of House, which I was shocked to discover is STILL ON THE AIR, have more variation in episode format than Family Guy does.

Family Guy went from above average to average to excruciating. I've never seen any tv program that relied so heavily on its formula than Family Guy does.

Even late period episodes of House, which I was shocked to discover is STILL ON THE AIR, have more variation in episode format than Family Guy does.

I cringe at the thought of watching his two other shows.

And I had nothing better to do last night, so I watched the premier of House last night. Hey, at least it's better than Terra Nova.

I cringe at the thought of watching his two other shows.

And I had nothing better to do last night, so I watched the premier of House last night. Hey, at least it's better than Terra Nova.

Jaleel White was in the House premiere.

Jaleel *****ing White. Out of nowhere.

Jaleel White was in the House premiere.

Jaleel *****ing White. Out of nowhere.

hahaha

As it happened, I said out loud "is that *****ing Urkel?"