Sign in to follow this  
BMP

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

News @NewYorkerFest: Arrested Development coming back for one more TV season before movie. #ArrestedDevelopment #tnyfest

1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#...599846745931777

"Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz announced today that the show will be coming back to television -- five years after it was cancelled.

Hurwitz said the show will do a "limited" season which will show us what the characters have been up to since the show last aired ... which will then lead right into the planned movie.

There is no official deal in place yet for where or when the show will air.

Have a frozen banana and celebrate!

http://www.tmz.com/2...d/#.Toji97I9KN4

tumblr_lqf1bjRlho1qmc7xjo1_400.gif

IGN considered it the funniest show ever

but they also considered the Simpsons 2nd so I don't know if I'd read much from it

The last 10-12 seasons and the movie.

The last 10 seasons have been consistently B quality.

Which is better than 80% of what's on television. It only seems bad because seasons 1-11 have become so engrained in our cultural consciousness.

Newer Simpsons episodes aren't bad; it just seems that way when you can't help but compare them to episodes like Marge Vs The Monorail, which makes everything look bad.

What's wrong with the Simpsons?

A little overrated, I'd say. They were pioneers, though, but people tend to overrate pioneers.

I always give the same (controversial) example, George Carlin was a pioneer but IMO Louis CK and Dave Chappelle are funnier stand-up comedians than he used to be.

A little overrated, I'd say. They were pioneers, though, but people tend to overrate pioneers.

I always give the same (controversial) example, George Carlin was a pioneer but IMO Louis CK and Dave Chappelle are funnier stand-up comedians than he used to be.

I find terms like "pioneer" to be completely useless when talking about things like this. What the Simpsons did for animated comedy is significant, but matters precisely dick when discussing its merits as a comedy.

Oddly enough, the real value in both the Simpsons and George Carlin lies not in pure "funniness", for lack of a better term, but rather in their ability to fuse comedy with social commentary and make it work better than either of those things on their own.

The Simpsons at its best was funnier and smarter than anything else going on either at the time or since. Seasons 5-10 of South Park came extremely close, and there are episodes of King of the Hill I'd put up there too (a vastly underrated show).