Sign in to follow this  
A Better DJ & Photographer

NBA sues players union

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214983/NBA_Files_Suit_Against_NBPA

Accusing the players of failing to bargain "in good faith" and of "impermissible pressure tactics" in labor talks, the NBA has filed an unfair labor practice charge and a federal lawsuit against the NBA Players Association.

The claims were filed Tuesday.

The unfair labor practice charge was filed with the National Labor Relations Board. It accuses the players of making "unlawful" threats to break up their union and pursue an antitrust lawsuit against the NBA, a strategy used this year by NFL players to fight their lockout.

The lawsuit was filed in federal district court in New York. It asks the court to declare the NBA lockout does not break antitrust laws. The NBA also says it wants to void existing player contracts if the NBPA sheds its union status.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214983/NBA_Files_Suit_Against_NBPA#ixzz1TuZOYO5B

Doesn't Stern realize that if contracts are voided the NBA has no recourse to get players back from playing in Europe, China, etc?

We need a new league... without Stern, lousy refs making calls so bad it makes the game look fixed, and owners that don't want to honor contracts they were not forced to sign.

Doesn't Stern realize that if contracts are voided the NBA has no recourse to get players back from playing in Europe, China, etc?

He's not trying to get their contracts voided. He's threatening to do that if the players do something he views to be illegal(which is the actual reason he's suing).

He's trying to get the players' union cited for improper labor practices and force them into mandatory arbitration, which would cut their bargaining power to virtually nothing, and likely end the lockout shortly after in the process.

He's saying they want to void existing contracts ONLY if the NBAPA decertifies, which means he only wants to void contracts signed under union rules should there cease to be a union. That makes him no different from any other employer on Earth.

When did it become so fashionable to bash Stern that we can just make ludicrous conclusions and blame those ridiculous(and untrue) conclusions on him?

When did it become so fashionable to bash Stern that we can just make ludicrous conclusions and blame those ridiculous(and untrue) conclusions on him?

When he started destroying the game that (before you try to bring it up in your comeback) yes, he helped make mainstream. That's all for nothing if he corrupts it.

Also, to take a page out of your and BMP's book, how do you know they're not true? What evidence do you have? I have Tim Donaghy going to jail for fixing games, I have the Kings/Lakers series, I have the Patrick Ewing draft, I have almost every game LeBron James has ever played in, ect.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When he started destroying the game that (before you try to bring it up in your comeback) yes, he helped make mainstream. That's all for nothing if he corrupts it.

Also, to take a page out of your and BMP's book, how do you know they're not true? What evidence do you have? I have Tim Donaghy going to jail for fixing games, I have the Kings/Lakers series, I have the Patrick Ewing draft, I have almost every game LeBron James has ever played in, ect.

The burden of proof lies with the accuser. I don't have to prove he's innocent. YOU have to prove he's guilty.

The FBI stated that they believed Donaghy acted alone.

The Kings/Lakers series has been analyzed to death, and most analysts concluded that the Lakers benefited from a whistle-happy ref crew by being aggressive, and that the refs' problem was incompetence, not conspiracy.

Regarding the Ewing draft, do I need to explain to you how a lottery works? Do you think the '93 lottery was rigged as well? Our odds were FAR worse to win that draft than the Knicks' odds of winning the 85' draft.

As for Lebron, stars have benefited from more calls than regular players since the mid-70s.

And even if every single ridiculous thing you just listed WAS the result of a conspiracy(which is a ludicrous assumption), that wouldn't automatically mean Stern was behind it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The burden of proof lies with the accuser. I don't have to prove he's innocent. YOU have to prove he's guilty.

The Kings/Lakers series has been analyzed to death, and most analysts concluded that the Lakers benefited from a whistle-happy ref crew by being aggressive, and that the refs' problem was incompetence, not conspiracy.

Regarding the Ewing draft, do I need to explain to you how a lottery works? Do you think the '93 lottery was rigged as well? Our odds were FAR worse to win that draft than the Knicks' odds of winning the 85' draft.

As for Lebron, stars have benefited from more calls than regular players since the mid-70s.

And even if every single ridiculous thing you just listed WAS the result of a conspiracy(which is a ludicrous assumption), that wouldn't automatically mean Stern was behind it.

Please don't tell Dwight that! He might start thinking all those hits to the head with no calls or no flagrant foul calls are part of preferential star treatment.

Also, to take a page out of your and BMP's book, how do you know they're not true? What evidence do you have?

uhhh what

Please don't tell Dwight that! He might start thinking all those hits to the head with no calls or no flagrant foul calls are part of preferential star treatment.

For every one time Dwight is called for a 3 second violation, he commits about 17 others.

Just because not all superstars benefit from superstar treatment in the exact same way doesn't mean they're not all benefiting from it.

Fair enough.

Anyone who has watched post-Donaghy NBA can tell that's a load of crap.

Most analysts also refuse to believe that a fix could happen to their game. Hell, look at any sport when a terrible call happens, ESPN always says, 'It appears they MIGHT have gotten the call wrong.' I'm not saying every bad call is a fix, just pointing out that anything with refs is a touchy subject because of what the worst result could be (fix) and they don't want to believe that.

Has nothing to do with odds, do some more research on that draft.

Cavs/Magic Eastern Conference Finals. That was so much more than a star just getting some calls.

True, but it doesn't help his case that he has never addressed the referee situation. Whether it's a fix or the refs are just bad that's something a commissioner needs to address. Even Roger Goodell would do something, most likely fire all the black refs though, bad example. He's never tried to fix that area of the game, and what makes it fishy is nobody is allowed to talk about it.

There could be some games fixed to meet the spread, but fact of the matter is that the NBA is one of the hardest games to call. Stern's already opening up to getting a 4th ref to work the monitor all game but at the same time he doesn't want games to be 5 hours long because of refs going through replays every second. . .