Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

Know your Magic?

Ok I thought about making a little thread here to have some fun while there is no fun going on in the NBA. It's not the same fun or in any way a substitude for the NBA season or playoffs... but it's better than this huge annoying lockout and nothing happening, right?

How about a little quiz game? Former and current Magic players or staff members are the main subject, of course. Questions, "Guess the player" photos, just anything you got. It can be specific games or something in Magic history. You can send me your questions, pictures or whatever you think of, just make sure the answer is included and suggested points (difficulty).

It will be a point-collecting game. First poster to reach at least 18 points wins. Why 18? I feel like it's our mental barrier. These past 2-3 years we've got our lead to 18 points and then we lose focus and it's a tie-game again. So, whenever someone gets to 18 points, he or she wins the round and is crowned the King or Queen of Magic Knowitalls and can also get a specialized Magic Knowitall signature... but then it's back to square one. Tie game. Next round, DING!

You can get a 3 pointer, 2 points and 1 point, ranging from number of questions/pictures to difficulty. There will be And 1's every now and then, added as bonus to a 2 or 3 pointer questions. Say there is a 3 point "Guess the players" and an added bonus question, you get 4 points if you can answer that question. If you only have the names, then it's just a 3 pointer.

Post your answers here. As soon as I see the correct answer, that poster wins that game. Correct spelling of names is not crucial, but both first and last names are. For example if the answer would be "Dwight Howard", "Howard" would not be enough. Next game should be up shortly after the previous finished, but at latest a day or two after. If there is no correct answer in 48 hours or no attempt at all to answer the question in 24 hours after the question is posted, I will withdraw it and make a new one.

NOTE: Posters who send in questions/pictures can not get points for answering their own questions. So if you are in a close round with some other poster, say, that poster has 15 points and you got 14, and you think you have a difficult question that the other poster might not know the answer to, send it in. He or she might or might not have the answer but it's a risk, because you're out for one game but you could end up with a 3 pointer next game.

So, for starters I've got three pictures of former Magic players. Their jersey numbers and faces have been removed or blurred. 2 of 3 is not enough, all 3 names needed!

MAGIC KNOWITALLS, ASSEMBLE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlskUxlI7E

ROUND 1:

Game 1: Guess the players - First poster to get all three right hits a 3 pointer

Player 1 = Derek Strong

Magic01a.jpg

Player 2 = Brooks Thompson

Magic02a.jpg

Player 3 = Geert Hammink

Magic03a.jpg

Game 1 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson

--------------------------------------------

Game 2: Who's this Magic guy? - First poster with both name and reason gets 2 points

Question: This player got a rare statline against the Detroit Pistons and made some people shake their heads while doing so. Who was he and what did he do to make people facepalm?

Answer: Anthony Bowie, got a triple double of 20 points, 10 boards and 10 assists but needed 1 board and 1 assist with 4 seconds to go. Pistons missed a shot, Bowie got the rebound, called a timeout, which Brian Hill walked away from. Bowie got the inbound pass and made the assist to David Vaughn. Doug Collins, Pistons coach, pulled his team off the court in disgust for Bowie's lack of class. Bowie wanted to apologize to Collins but he didn't want any of it, Brian Hill said after the game that the whole thing was embarrassing and shameful. Bowie was happy for himself, though.

Game 2 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson

Game 3: What's the story? - 3 points

Question: What do the Orlando Magic and Boston Celtics have in common, historically, regarding the final season in their former arenas? - 3 points

AND 1... but with a slight difference? - 1 point bonus

Answer: Final NBA game in each arena was played by these two teams.

AND 1: Celtics lost their final Garden game when the Magic swept them out of the 1995 Playoffs. Magic won their final O-Rena game by defeating the Celtics in game 5 of the 2010 ECF, only to lose in game 6 in Boston.

Game 3 winner: BMP + AND 1

Game 4: A tale of choices - 2 points

Question: What do these pictures stand for and what do they have to do with this team?

Answer: There were 4,296 names suggested in a contest in the Orlando Sentinel, sponsored by the Orlando Magic. These suggestions were then narrowed down to four. Tropics, Magic, Heat and Juice.

iwannagothere.jpg

hovergirl.png

coolingfan.png

ohtasty.jpg

Game 4 winner: Bauncey Chillups

Game 5: Who is this woman? - 3 points

Question: What is her name and what does she have to do with the Magic?

Answer: Jhane Barnes, designer. She designed the Magic uniform the team wore from 1998 to 2003. The shiny star ones!

woman.jpg

Game 5 winner: BMP

Game 6: A collection of awards - 2 points

Question: Four Magic players have won the same award. Who are they and what award did they win?

AND 1: One of them got two awards the same year. Who and what other award did he get?

Answer: Scott Skiles, Darrell Armstrong, Tracy McGrady and Hedo Turkoglu all won Most Improved Player.

AND 1: Darrel Armstrong also won Sixth Man of the Year.

Game 6 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson + AND 1

Game 7: Who am I? - 3 points

Trivia: I was born in the city of coins and flashy lights. I'm not a hunchback but I did fight with the Irish. When I got into this league, I was drafted by a team with horns, but they traded me and the rights to some European dude who became quite good. Funny thing is, I was born in a city of coins and gold, yet later on I was traded for a penny. My NBA career was around a decade long, most of which was with the Magic. In a special group of people I wrote stuff down and did some paperwork, and took care of the money side of things. It was fitting that I did the money stuff, considering where I was from and what I was traded for.. and my shots were money too.

I am: Pat Garrity

Game 7 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson

Game 8: Now that's a record! - 3 points

Question: In early November of 2005, a magic record was set to be broken. What was the record and who was set to make it?

Answer: On November 2nd, 2005, Criss Angel attempted to break Houdini's record of escaping from a straitjacket, hanging upside-down on center court during the halftime show of the Magic vs. Pacers game.

Game 8 winner: None - Withdrawn

Game 9: How embarrassing - 1 point

Question: What is the Magic record for consecutive losses and what was our final record that season?

Answer: 19 straight losses and the final record was 21-61. This happened in 2003-2004.

Game 9 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson

Game 10: Guess the players - 2 points

Player 1 = Dominique Wilkins

Magic04.jpg

Player 2 = Doug Christie

Magic05.jpg

Game 10 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson

Game 11: Coaching matters - 2 points

Question: Who is the all time winningest coach in Magic history (both in total W's and %) and who has the lowest winning percentage of the coaches in team history?

AND 1: What coach has the highest winning percentage in the playoffs and who has the worst?

Answer: Winningest coach in Magic history in total W's is Brian Hill with 267 wins. Stan Van Gundy has the highest percentage with 67% of his games ending with the almighty W. Lowest winning percentage goes to Chris Jent, but he served as the Magic head coach for only 18 games, winning 5 of those, giving him the win% of 27.8%.

AND 1: Stan Van Gundy has the highest win percentage in the playoffs as a Magic coach with 55.6% and the Hall of Famer and legend Chuck Daly the lowest, with 25%.

Game 11 winner: BMP + AND 1

Game 12: Division confusion - 1 point

Question: Which divisions have the Magic been in during it's 22 year history?

Answer: Central division, Atlantic division and even one season in the western conference, the Midwest division. Their current division is Southeast.

Game 12 winner: BMP steals a game!

Game 13: Who am I? - 3 points

Trivia: I was born somewhere between 1981 and 1983 in a town that sounds kind of like a cooking method, you know, where you stick a long fork in your food and dip it in a pot. In college, my buddies and I used to fly because we were golden eagles, of course. One of my eagle buddies is quite Flashy nowadays. I became a magician when they picked me in the second round and I spent two years there. After that I was blazin' and pacin' past my opponents before I decided enough was enough and took my talents to Lega A.

Answer: I am Travis Diener

Game 13 winner: Drunk on Mystery

Game 14: A group of first and second teamers - 2 points

Question: Who are the Magic players who have been named to the first and second All-Rookie teams and which players then reached All-NBA First and All-NBA Second teams as members of the Magic?

Answer:

All-Rookie First team = Dennis Scott, Shaquille O'Neal, Anfernee Hardaway, Matt Harpring, Mike Miller, Drew Gooden, Dwight Howard

All-Rookie Second team = Stanley Roberts, Michael Doleac, Chucky Atkins, Jameer Nelson

All-NBA First team = Dwight Howard, Anfernee Hardaway

All-NBA Second team = Shaquille O'Neal

Game 14 winner: PrematureShooter

Game 15: Count the bucket - 3 points

Question: On January 2nd, 2000, the Miami Heat hosted the Orlando Magic in the first ever NBA game in the brand new American Airlines Arena. Who scored the first bucket in Miami's new house?

AND 1: What was the other significance of that basket?

Answer: John Amaechi

AND 1: It was also the first point of the new millennium.

Game 15 winner: TheREALBrooksThompson + AND 1

Magic Knowitalls Standings

TheREALBrooksThompson - 18 points

BMP - 11 points

Drunk on Mystery - 3 points

Bauncey Chillups - 2 points

PrematureShooter - 2 points

Ok Ill got for it.

1.) Derek Strong

2.) Brooks Thompson

3.) Steve Kerr ?? ( This one is giving me a hard time )

Nope :)

1- Vince Carter

2- JJ Redick

3- Ryan Anderson

:creaturedance:

This is why we need a post "MAX" after 2552 post that comes out. Please take this into consideration Mod's.

• Downvote 1