Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread part VI: Return of the Lockout

It is a sad day to be an NBA fan. It just really hit me that I won't get to watch my Magic this year. :(

Yep.... This is a sad day for the NBA as a whole... Time to lock this bad boy out for good.

Hunter and Fisher didn't even take the deal to the players for a vote. The players would have said yes too.

It's crazy to think that there are several owners who didn't want to even give the players the proposed deal because they don't think the players have given enough up. Michael "if you don't like it then sell your team" Jordan is one of them.

Hunter and Fisher didn't even take the deal to the players for a vote. The players would have said yes too.

It's crazy to think that there are several owners who didn't want to even give the players the proposed deal because they don't think the players have given enough up. Michael "if you don't like it then sell your team" Jordan is one of them.

I think it is crazy the players couldn't even vote. Kevin Martin has been ripping the union (or trade association w/e the ***** it is now) for not allowing a vote all day.

Those owners wanting 47% are absurd too. I think there is 10 teams who didn't approve of the NBA's offer (which IMO was still a somewhat fair deal). There are people on both sides who want more then they can get and unfortunatly are willing to throw away a season to get what they want, screwing us fans over in the process.

Sad thing is, they really weren't that far away from a deal and now it is all blown up and the chances of a season are incredibly low.

you know what's funny is that David Stern in a way caused this to happen. For the last decade he's built the NBA around the superstars and has catered to them exclusively. Now the superstars, with their super-inflated egos, apparently can't take NO for an answer and think they can get everything they want. Not only that, but I believe that these superstars and their high-profile agents (the groups that are best equipped to handle a prolonged work stoppage) have hijacked the union and therefore grossly misrepresented it. The decertification calls have also come exclusively from this combined group. This report almost confirms my suspicions:

David Aldridge reports that a player still had not heard from his team's player representative as of Monday morning.

About the proposal: Of course it's not as good as the previous agreement, but I do think it's a decent compromise. We'll still have the same system for TWO YEARS of a potential 6yr agreement (when both sides can opt out). It raises the minimum team salary amount [starting year 3]. The same max salary rules are there as well as all the exceptions. The players must not like the BRI split because that's really the only thing I see worth fighting for.

Oh, and they'll still be the highest paid athletes in the country, probably the world too.

Oh, and they'll still be the highest paid athletes in the country, probably the world too.

NBA rosters are also about half as large as any other sport, and about a quarter of an NFL roster. Accordingly, there are fewer players to split that money between, hence higher salaries. Not really that outrageous.

NBA rosters are also about half as large as any other sport, and about a quarter of an NFL roster. Accordingly, there are fewer players to split that money between, hence higher salaries. Not really that outrageous.

yea I know.

I was hoping this saga would come to an end today and we'd finally get to talk about the team.

I just want to know what the f*** the union thought was so offensive in the last proposal to say NO. Because I honestly don't see it. They didn't even attempt a counteroffer.

yea I know.

I was hoping this saga would come to an end today and we'd finally get to talk about the team.

I just want to know what the f*** the union thought was so offensive in the last proposal to say NO. Because I honestly don't see it. They didn't even attempt a counteroffer.

I agree, the deal isn't really a bad one. It just isn't as good as the players expect. As far as a counter offer, Stern already said the owners would not go any further than this, it was take it or leave it, the players left it. I personally think the agents and lawyers were the ones pushing this agenda. Billy Hunter also really doesn't care if there is a season or not, I read today he has pretty much kept his job and salary, just a different title. This whole situation just reeks of behind the scenes string pulling. I was angry at the players yesterday but today I feel bad for most of them. They will have to go a year without pay over this silly crap. I hope the judge tells both sides to just figure it out on there own, they weren't that far away.

As far as a counter offer, Stern already said the owners would not go any further than this, it was take it or leave it, the players left it.

I know he said that, but deep down you know it's not true. He already issued two "ultimatums" before this. The union could have left the door open by at least putting something on the table (so they can at least say "hey we put the ball in the league's court"). It's really a foolish move by the union especially this late in the game.

billy hunter LOL, he gets $2.5mil at the end of the day yet he has nothing to hang his hat on. What a waste.

I know he said that, but deep down you know it's not true. He already issued two "ultimatums" before this. The union could have left the door open by at least putting something on the table (so they can at least say "hey we put the ball in the league's court"). It's really a foolish move by the union especially this late in the game.

billy hunter LOL, he gets $2.5mil at the end of the day yet he has nothing to hang his hat on. What a waste.

The last ultimatum was only throw away because they made progress on talks during the time it expired, this is pretty much the same ultimatum but delayed. I don't think the owners were willing to go further than this. A decent amount didn't even want to give up what they did.

I agree on Hunter, guy is trash. Shane Battier questioned why he didn't cut his pay like DeMaurice Smith did during the NFL lockout. Hunter makes money no matter what, he has nothing to gain by hurrying up a deal. Fortunatly, I think this will be the last CBA Hunter will negiotiate on behalf of the players/

• Upvote 1