Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread part VI: Return of the Lockout

But then we wouldn't have gotten Tony Battie. And he was the most important piece the Magic have ever had.

That is one of those moves that blows my mind. Sure it was done by Puck-head but Cleveland had just lost Boozer, desparatly needed a PF and we had 2 of them....so what do we do? We give away both of them for a back up center. We had ALL of the leverage here, if they asked for both of those guys we should have just said no and walked, I'm fairly certain we could have found another back up center. I think I just killed 10 brain cells thinking about that one.

I think Emory mentioned it in that thread but what if Stan was the coach while Darko was here instead of Capt. Clipboard? For one I don't think he would have forced him into the post completely ignoring the fact that the guy could shoot. Stan gets a lot out of his players, I think he could have made it work or he would have choked him to death...either way it would have been a win.

I've wondered about that a lot. I kind of feel sorry for the guy - first he gets stuffed on the bench with the Pistons, who all claim he's great in practice, but never let him get any burn in a real game. Then he goes to Orlando with Commandant Hill who seems to be able to crush anyone's psyche.

I wouldn't mind getting Tracy and Darko back. Actually, if we only signed those two this off-season, I'd be fine with it. I have a feeling the next season is pretty much going to be shot as it is; 50 games or so.

Save it all for '12, resign Dwight, sign Williams or CP3, set to "boil."

That is one of those moves that blows my mind. Sure it was done by Puck-head but Cleveland had just lost Boozer, desparatly needed a PF and we had 2 of them....so what do we do? We give away both of them for a back up center. We had ALL of the leverage here, if they asked for both of those guys we should have just said no and walked, I'm fairly certain we could have found another back up center. I think I just killed 10 brain cells thinking about that one.

Weisbrod was the worst GM hiring the Magic have ever had. Every move he did was terrible. Maybe he thought he had to have a center in case Dwight wasn't ready? No idea what the thought process was behind it. And I don't really want to.

To all the Otis haters, look at Weisbrod. It could be worse.

EDIT: Ok not EVERY move. He drafted well (Dwight and Jameer) but he didn't trade well.

Rape is better than murder. Should we accept rape?

Rape took us to our first NBA Finals in 13 years. His moves have been bad lately, but there was a time everyone liked Otis.

Rape took us to our first NBA Finals in 13 years. His moves have been bad lately, but there was a time everyone liked Otis.

And even the JRich and Arenas moves looked good at the time. Or would have. I mean, all any of us were doing at the beginning of the season was groaning about 'Shard's salary and Vince's play. JRich had played well against the Lakers and looked like he'd bring slashing and toughness to the 2 spot. Hedo was a known commodity and was really one of the few players that could step onto the Magic mid-season and be able to fit in seemlessly.

Didn't work, but I can at least see what Otis was trying to do. Arenas, if he straightens out his head and fully heals up, could still be a good pickup.

We have some MASSIVE holes in our roster though, no question there.

And even the JRich and Arenas moves looked good at the time.

No they didn't.

Richardson was the one thing about those deals that wasn't cringe worthy, and even that was cancelled out by Hedo coming back.

The Arenas trade never looked good, and there were no redeeming qualities about it no matter what some people talked themselves into believing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And even the JRich and Arenas moves looked good at the time. Or would have. I mean, all any of us were doing at the beginning of the season was groaning about 'Shard's salary and Vince's play. JRich had played well against the Lakers and looked like he'd bring slashing and toughness to the 2 spot. Hedo was a known commodity and was really one of the few players that could step onto the Magic mid-season and be able to fit in seemlessly.

Didn't work, but I can at least see what Otis was trying to do. Arenas, if he straightens out his head and fully heals up, could still be a good pickup.

We have some MASSIVE holes in our roster though, no question there.

Exactly. When that deal happened and we won what? 9 straight? It looked good. The roster just wasn't good down the stretch and the holes, as you said, were exposed. And with the the possibility of an amnesty clause in the new CBA, whenever that may be agreed upon, one of those contracts (Arenas or Turk) will be erased.

No they didn't.

Richardson was the one thing about those deals that wasn't cringe worthy, and even that was cancelled out by Hedo coming back.

The Arenas trade never looked good, and there were no redeeming qualities about it no matter what some people talked themselves into believing.

I seem to remember a lot of people on these boards thinking dumping 'Shard and picking up Hedo in his place wasn't such a bad thing. Not a GREAT thing, but not how it turned out either.

I just wish we would have signed 'Shard to a reasonable deal in the first place....

I remember most people liked the deals... no one we traded was playing well (probably the worst in their careers) and we got back a proven playoff performer, a guy that fits perfectly in our system, a good prospect, and a guy that has the potential to become a second option we've needed.

I'm sorry, but if Arenas can improve next year and we get a couple defenders, this team is pretty good.

I remember most people liked the deals... no one we traded was playing well (probably the worst in their careers) and we got back a proven playoff performer, a guy that fits perfectly in our system, a good prospect, and a guy that has the potential to become a second option we've needed.

I'm sorry, but if Arenas can improve next year and we get a couple defenders, this team is pretty good.

That's kind of where I'm at. We're one wing defender and a legit backup for Dwight away from having a great team. Still not sure if we'd bump off Miami in a seven game series, but we'd have a pretty respectable team that could get lucky.

And if we can land Williams/CP3 in the next FA period, we've got a stew going. But if we lose Dwight, it's "blow up the team"-time. Erg.