Sign in to follow this  
Shock Phantom

Maybe all we need is tweaks

So, I know we all want trades for an allstar/superstar RIGHT NOW, but as the hours without anything go by, it seems less and less likely. But you know what, I think that's ok. I think that Otis' "this team just needs tweaks" comments weren't just straight BS, and tweaks can actually go a long way in making us a contender again. Would getting allstars make it EASIER? Of course, but this roster isn't as garbage as many claim it to be. I have been thinking about tweaks that we can make that would go a long way to both making us competitive again, and keeping Dwight. (note: this is based off the current CBA in regards to exceptions)

1. Healthy Arenas

I know he sucked last year. I know stats will say he was the worst player to ever play ever. However, I think that Arenas will come back vastly improved next year and become a great 2nd/3rd option next season. Why? Last year I saw flashes of brilliance:, he showed off his court vision, his clutchness, and also showed he can be a little crafty getting to the basket. He also is working extremely hard in the offseason, has no structural damage in his knee, and he has a chip on his shoulder. I don't think 20-7-4 is completely far fetched for him to average as a starter next season.

2. Resign J-Rich

I know everyone wants Ellis and Mayo, but J-Rich can still be a solid 3rd option and is extremely clutch. He gives it his all, which seems to be what everyone wants. I would like to offer him a 3 year, 24 million contract. It seems fair as he is declining, plus it is more than any other contender can give him. If we can put him next to a good defender at the three, he is probably our best, most realistic option. Which brings me to the next point.

3. Trade Ryno+ a first and/or Orton for Batum OR sign Prince/Chandler with the MLE

I know Portland is high on Batum, so I don't know how likely this trade is to occur, but Portland needs a backup PF and Ryan has tons of potential, while they also get a pick or Orton, who can play center. Even if that doesn't happen, we need a defender at the three, no questions asked. If we can't trade we need to try to sign one of the above to the MLE. We need defensive upgrades at the 3 and 4.

4. Sign Kenyon Martin with the MLE OR S&T

Depending on whether we trade for a SF or sign one, this will vary. Let's say that we signed Chandler for the full MLE. We could S&T let's say Bass to Denver for Martin. Denver would do it because they get a replacement PF for cheap, we do it because we upgrade defensively. Martin agrees because he gets to play for a contender, would start, and would get 4-5 million. Who will give him much more than that? If we don't use the MLE on a wing then we would just sign him for about the same.

5. Sign a backup C with the BAE or vet min

Josh Powell, Kwame, Nazr, etc. We need a backup C, and there are some cheap, serviceable ones out there.

6. Amnesty Hedo or trade him for Ben Gordon

I don't really care. If we get Gordon, then Jameer and JJ become more expendable.

Our lineup (without Gordon or Hedo):

Arenas/Jameer/Duhon

J-Rich/JJ/Q/Arenas/Liggens

Chandler/Q/Clark/Harper/Liggens

Martin/Anderson/Clark/Harper

Dwight/FA/Orton

Best part? Our bench has a pretty crazy good backcourt, and our bench overall is pretty great. We have Mavs-like depth.

I don't know, it's not as doom and gloom as one might think. And if Arenas sucks just let Jameer start again. Is it instant title favorite? No (although if Arenas comes back strong who knows). But it has a much better mix than last year and we still have trade pieces. Like I said though, and what I say with every post about improving the team in the future: it is likely the CBA could change everything.

Flame away.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If Gil can return to his old form, then that is awesome. But is tough to imagine it after last year. I think the best we can realistically hope for is 16/5 on 41% from the field and like 34% from three. I think we need more than tweaks, but who knows. Otis has continued to blow up our team every year and it isn't getting us anywhere. Unfortunatly we aren't talented enough for just tweaks as I see it.

You are asking a lot to sign Chandler or Price AND Kenyon Martin. Especially since there may not be a MLE.

If Gil can return to his old form, then that is awesome. But is tough to imagine it after last year. I think the best we can realistically hope for is 16/5 on 41% from the field and like 34% from three. I think we need more than tweaks, but who knows. Otis has continued to blow up our team every year and it isn't getting us anywhere. Unfortunatly we aren't talented enough for just tweaks as I see it.

You are asking a lot to sign Chandler or Price AND Kenyon Martin. Especially since there may not be a MLE.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to sign both. One would have to be through trade. As for Gil, I would expect him to average at least 6 assists, as his court vision is superior to Jameer imo, and he has never played with a big man like Dwight.

Not having the MLE would throw a wrench in everything for sure, but it would affect other teams just as much as us.

Am I the only one who thinks J-Rich isn't worth ANYTHING over the MLE at this point in his career? I'd prefer to let him walk or try a sign and trade (if that is allowed in the new CBA).

Everything else I either like or do agree with, somewhat anyways.

Trade Hedo, Redick, and Qrich for a resigned Stuckey, Rip, and Big Ben then take Jameer and Rhyno and flip them to Sacramento for a resigned Thornton and Jason Thompson. Sign Prince or AK47.

I don't know exactly why Pistons would do it aside from maybe Redick, Stuckey will get his minutes cut with their new rook running the point, Rip is about ready to shoot his way out of Detroit, they will probably lose Prince so they get Turk in return and get Qrich for a defensive sub. Losing Big Ben might be big for them since they would be thin at the 5.

Sacramento has said they want some good big guys, Rhyno is a young stud who could grow with their core. Marcus is going to get his minutes decreased with the addition of Jimmer in an already crowded backcourt, then I remember reading rumors they were trying to add Aaron Brooks so Jameer could fill that spot since he is better than Brooks anyways. They do lose Thompson which they probably don't want to do but Rhyno would be a decent replacement.

I think it makes our team a better team overall, some might disagree which is fine I just thought I would throw out my ideas. :D

I dont know how the salaries would match up either, but it's not like this is factual anyways.

Stuckey/Arenas/Duhon

Thornton/Rip/Liggins/Arenas

Prince or AK/Harper/Liggins

Thompson/Bass/Harper

Howard/Big Ben/Orton/Thompson

Am I the only one who thinks J-Rich isn't worth ANYTHING over the MLE at this point in his career? I'd prefer to let him walk or try a sign and trade (if that is allowed in the new CBA).

Everything else I either like or do agree with, somewhat anyways.

Ben Gordon, Hedo Turkoglu, Stephen Jackson, Joe Johnson, Manu, Biedrins, Jefferson, Maggette, Gooden, Pierce, Parker, Salmons, Calderon, Rip, Charlie V, Deng

these are just a few players that get paid WELL over the MLE (the average salary from that list is probably closer to $15 million than $5).

Now, is JRich closer to Rip, Deng, Jefferson, Maggette, Salmons or to guys like Mike Miller, Q, Bass, Childress, Dudley, etc?

It's hard to find starters in this league that can score 20 points on any given night (or are very good defenders/rebounders/play makers), have just turned 30, and get paid less than the full MLE.

Ben Gordon, Hedo Turkoglu, Stephen Jackson, Joe Johnson, Manu, Biedrins, Jefferson, Maggette, Gooden, Pierce, Parker, Salmons, Calderon, Rip, Charlie V, Deng

these are just a few players that get paid WELL over the MLE (the average salary from that list is probably closer to $15 million than $5).

Now, is JRich closer to Rip, Deng, Jefferson, Maggette, Salmons or to guys like Mike Miller, Q, Bass, Childress, Dudley, etc?

It's hard to find starters in this league that can score 20 points on any given night (or are very good defenders/rebounders/play makers), have just turned 30, and get paid less than the full MLE.

I realize that the market dictates much more than what a player is actually worth. I'm using a much more "face-value" approach. Having said that, I don't think J-Rich is capable of putting up 20 on any given night at this point...the occasional 20-25 point bomb, that's it.

I realize that the market dictates much more than what a player is actually worth. I'm using a much more "face-value" approach. Having said that, I don't think J-Rich is capable of putting up 20 on any given night at this point...the occasional 20-25 point bomb, that's it.

JRich was averaging 20 the same year he was traded. . . you don't go from averaging 20 to "occasionally" doing it in a few months barring a major injury. His role in ORL was lessened a ton and he got less shots. Give him 15 shots a game and he'll hover near the 18-23 pt area.

And there's no real face value. . . he's worth what other players are worth. You can't deny Carmelo Anthony the max contract because he's nowhere as good as Dwight/LeBron. . . unless the new CBA somehow fixes this huge inflation, JRich will still get paid above the MLE and rightfully so.

As far as the OP goes, Arenas going from having one of the most pathetic years in basketball history in terms of shooting to averaging 20/7/4 isn't a tweak, it's a huge *****ing change.