Sign in to follow this  
Chase

The Casey Anthony Trial

Didn't want to start a new thread for Clemens, so putting my take here. Our judicial system isn't having their best month.

First, you have someone in Casey Anthony who is obviously guilty, but gets off on due to lack of evidence. Then you have Roger Clemens, who is also obviously guilty, who gets off because TOO MUCH evidence is presented. Awesome job judge!

The prosecution presented evidence during the trial that had already been ruled inadmissable. It was a gross mistake made that even a student studying to get their license shouldn't make. Furthermore, while there is a remote possibility that the judge may rule that trying Clemens a second time is double jeopardy, most likely they will just start the trial over with a new jury. Honestly though, I don't even know why it's a big deal. The man took steroids in an era when everyone was juicing. Big freaking deal. It certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph as a murder case.

Honestly Trey, I sometimes wonder what the hell is going on in that head of yours.

The prosecution presented evidence during the trial that had already been ruled inadmissable. It was a gross mistake made that even a student studying to get their license shouldn't make. Furthermore, while there is a remote possibility that the judge may rule that trying Clemens a second time is double jeopardy, most likely they will just start the trial over with a new jury. Honestly though, I don't even know why it's a big deal. The man took steroids in an era when everyone was juicing. Big freaking deal. It certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph as a murder case.

Honestly Trey, I sometimes wonder what the hell is going on in that head of yours.

I didn't mean to put it in the same breath as a murder trial, I just put it here while we were on the subject of judicial epic fails, here's another one.

And I have ninjas in my head sir.

Clemens lied under oath. He's being tried for perjury not steroids.

What happened this time?

The whole Troy Davis thing. Talk about not having evidence. No murder weapon, no DNA, false reports from "witnesses". If you let Casey Anthony, who everyone knew was guilty but got lucky thanks to a technicality walk, you gotta push this guy's execution back. I'm not saying release him, that wouldn't have happened anyways. I'm also not saying he didn't do it, but I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Put it this way, we've let people walk with a ton more evidence against them than he does (Casey Anthony).

As for the death penalty in general, I'm for it, but I look at it like a challenge in football. There has to be without a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilty. If there is any doubt, life sentence.

The whole Troy Davis thing. Talk about not having evidence. No murder weapon, no DNA, false reports from "witnesses". If you let Casey Anthony, who everyone knew was guilty but got lucky thanks to a technicality walk, you gotta push this guy's execution back. I'm not saying release him, that wouldn't have happened anyways. I'm also not saying he didn't do it, but I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Put it this way, we've let people walk with a ton more evidence against them than he does (Casey Anthony).

As for the death penalty in general, I'm for it, but I look at it like a challenge in football. There has to be without a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilty. If there is any doubt, life sentence.

I'd say it's a mischaracterization to say Casey Anthony got off on a technicality when she was found not guilty for the same reason you're having difficulty with the Troy Davis case. She just had the benefit of being white and having a high profile case, which highlights a glaring problem with the death penalty.

Your last sentence is intriguing though. Why go for a life sentence if you're not sure you have the right person? Isn't the purpose of a trial to make sure that we're punishing the right person? I don't understand how you can recognize the dangers of condemning someone to die for something we aren't sure they actually did but in the same breath advocate locking them up for life. The thing to do in that situation is not convict them, as in the Casey Anthony case.

I'd say it's a mischaracterization to say Casey Anthony got off on a technicality when she was found not guilty for the same reason you're having difficulty with the Troy Davis case. She just had the benefit of being white and having a high profile case, which highlights a glaring problem with the death penalty.

Your last sentence is intriguing though. Why go for a life sentence if you're not sure you have the right person? Isn't the purpose of a trial to make sure that we're punishing the right person? I don't understand how you can recognize the dangers of condemning someone to die for something we aren't sure they actually did but in the same breath advocate locking them up for life. The thing to do in that situation is not convict them, as in the Casey Anthony case.

But you don't understand the intricacy of the Casey Anthony case and the subtlety of Trey's understanding. Although there was no evidence of a murder, no evidence that she was present and no evidence she did it, everybody KNEW.

THEY JUST KNEW.

How can they not convict her?????????