Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The NBA and fining players for social commentary

But regardless, tell me why someone should be offended by a word not directed at them or their cultural group besides saying "its a bad word"

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

The entire purpose of one athlete calling another a ****** is to equate him to a homosexual. Or rather, to equate him to a negative stereotype of homosexuals.

And if you don't understand why it would be offensive to actual homosexuals that men who are ostensibly adults would choose to insult each other by saying, in essence, "You're a homosexual!" as their idea of the ultimate putdown, then frankly, Lord Xenu doesn't know what to say. Do you think people from of Middle Eastern descent wouldn't be offended if non-Middle Eastern NBA players referred to each other as "Towel-heads" as an insult? Do you think Asians would enjoy hearing Lebron tell Kobe: "You're such an idiot, man. You're like one of those stupid f***ing gooks."

Using a term that represents a cultural or ethnic group as an insult automatically insults that group. Lord Xenu doesn't know how to make this any more plain.

And it has nothing to do with political correctness either; it's about thinking that maybe, just maybe, the country of America on planet Teegeeack could finally overcome its pathetic, Thetan-bound, unending adolescence and grow the ***** up as a culture, and finally realize that "Not lynching of different peoples" and "being tolerant of different peoples" are not synonymous.

Now you may be the kind of entitled, ignorant sub-creature who views the area between those two concepts as whiny political correctness, but that doesn't make the words victimless, nor does it put Lord Xenu on a PC cloud: It just means that you're an idiot.

*******END TRANSMISSION********

• Upvote 2

Also: the N word wasn't invented just to insult black people.

It evolved from a mispronunciation of the latin word niger, which literally translates to "black", by poor, often illiterate farmers in the south.

So that word didn't start out as a slur either, but that doesn't make it less of one now.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

The entire purpose of one athlete calling another a ****** is to equate him to a homosexual. Or rather, to equate him to a negative stereotype of homosexuals.

And if you don't understand why it would be offensive to actual homosexuals that men who are ostensibly adults would choose to insult each other by saying, in essence, "You're a homosexual!" as their idea of the ultimate putdown, then frankly, Lord Xenu doesn't know what to say. Do you think people from of Middle Eastern descent wouldn't be offended if non-Middle Eastern NBA players referred to each other as "Towel-heads" as an insult? Do you think Asians would enjoy hearing Lebron tell Kobe: "You're such an idiot, man. You're like one of those stupid f***ing gooks."

Using a term that represents a cultural or ethnic group as an insult automatically insults that group. Lord Xenu doesn't know how to make this any more plain.

And it has nothing to do with political correctness either; it's about thinking that maybe, just maybe, the country of America on planet Teegeeack could finally overcome its pathetic, Thetan-bound, unending adolescence and grow the ***** up as a culture, and finally realize that "Not lynching of different peoples" and "being tolerant of different peoples" are not synonymous.

Now you may be the kind of entitled, ignorant sub-creature who views the area between those two concepts as whiny political correctness, but that doesn't make the words victimless, nor does it put Lord Xenu on a PC cloud: It just means that you're an idiot.

*******END TRANSMISSION********

So when I call someone dumb, I am insinuating that they are mute and should be laughed at by that? What about lame? I don't view calling someone a fa**ot as "You're a homosexual" because I know very many liberal people who use said word, and quite frankly I don't think homosexuals hold claim to the word. It also used to be a derogatory term for women some time ago, just because of its recent use I don't think that it automatically implies homosexual. Before it became a word for homosexuals it simply meant coward, wimp, pansy, sissy, are those acceptable words?

Also: the N word wasn't invented just to insult black people.

It evolved from a mispronunciation of the latin word niger, which literally translates to "black", by poor, often illiterate farmers in the south.

So that word didn't start out as a slur either, but that doesn't make it less of one now.

The N word is still different than that of the latin word though and only has 1 definition based on its spelling. The origin has always meant black, whereas fa**ot has many definitions that don't have anything to do with homosexuality.

So when I call someone dumb, I am insinuating that they are mute and should be laughed at by that? What about lame? I don't view calling someone a fa**ot as "You're a homosexual" because I know very many liberal people who use said word, and quite frankly I don't think homosexuals hold claim to the word. It also used to be a derogatory term for women some time ago, just because of its recent use I don't think that it automatically implies homosexual. Before it became a word for homosexuals it simply meant coward, wimp, pansy, sissy, are those acceptable words?

"I know lots of liberal people who are rapists, so rape is ok if I do it."

Also, Lord Xenu doesn't understand how you can equate using terms to mean what they commonly mean now, rather than what they meant originally in previous centuries, to using a term that is clearly a slur now, simply because it was a term for old women 500 years ago. Although that's doubly ridiculous since, by that logic, the term is not only homophobic, but sexist as well, since the worst thing a man can be is gay, and that's because gays are just like old women(in the 16th century). Or are you trying to imply that when Kobe calls someone a ******, he's calling them an old, unmarried woman from the 1560s? Because that defense would be, if nothing else, creative.

And if you're so hell bent on calling someone a coward, why not simply use the non-slur word that already accomplishes that feat by, you know, calling them a coward.

That you are having to work this hard to try to justify using a homophobic slur should have already told you how stupid your position is. That it hasn't is unfortunate.

The N word is still different than that of the latin word though and only has 1 definition based on its spelling. The origin has always meant black, whereas fa**ot has many definitions that don't have anything to do with homosexuality.

It's always meant black, but it hasn't always been a slur. That was the point Xenu was making.

But Lord Xenu encourages you to perform an experiment: walk into South Baltimore, find the nearest group of black men in their mid 20s, and yell that they're a bunch of n*****s, and see if you can explain that it's ok and not offensive because the word just meant black and wasn't meant to be offensive when the word was first used 180 years ago, and see how far into your second sentence you can get before you're inhaling pieces of your teeth.

• Upvote 2

Sometimes I have hope for humanity. I see people volunteering their time and resources to help others with no expectation of praise or reward and it makes me happy.

Other times I witness examples of people who try and excuse bad or hurtful behavior instead of admit that they're wrong and change. It makes me sad.

Also, Lord Xenu doesn't understand how you can equate using terms to mean what they commonly mean now, rather than what they meant originally in previous centuries, to using a term that is clearly a slur now, simply because it was a term for old women 500 years ago. Although that's doubly ridiculous since, by that logic, the term is not only homophobic, but sexist as well, since the worst thing a man can be is gay, and that's because gays are just like old women(in the 16th century). Or are you trying to imply that when Kobe calls someone a ******, he's calling them an old, unmarried woman from the 1560s? Because that defense would be, if nothing else, creative.

And if you're so hell bent on calling someone a coward, why not simply use the non-slur word that already accomplishes that feat by, you know, calling them a coward.

That you are having to work this hard to try to justify using a homophobic slur should have already told you how stupid your position is. That it hasn't is unfortunate.

It's always meant black, but it hasn't always been a slur. That was the point Xenu was making.

But Lord Xenu encourages you to perform an experiment: walk into South Baltimore, find the nearest group of black men in their mid 20s, and yell that they're a bunch of n*****s, and see if you can explain that it's ok and not offensive because the word just meant black and wasn't meant to be offensive when the word was first used 180 years ago, and see how far into your second sentence you can get before you're inhaling pieces of your teeth.

He better hope he doesn't run into Chris or Snoop.

How is it not? I don't understand.

You can't see a difference between a gay man in assless chaps in a homosexual parade and a man mentioning that he has a boyfriend? You are the one that used the word "spouting" as if a openly homosexual male can't serve in the military without turning into a real life version of Big Gay Al. Like I said before, MOST heterosexual people in the military are no kidding guilty of "spouting off" about their sexual preferences. If the military is able to function with them talking about their sexual preferences then a woman saying that she prefers women to men should also be acceptable.

I don't see how stating your sexual preference defines "who you are" but regardless I'm not going to argue that its not discrimination. It is, but not for the same reason as the Navy's policy. No one for this policy (that I know of at least) uses the reason that homosexuals are a lesser person or that they themselves have a hatred of them, rather they use the reasoning of people in the ranks not being comfortable with it themselves. I personally, do not care who serves, its the widespread impact on the forces I care about. In life or death situations, Id rather not worry of squads chemistry over petty things such as sexuality.

It doesn't matter what your justification for the discrimination is, it's still discrimination! Discrimination is wrong, plain and simple. There isn't another job in this country in which an employer can deny a job to someone based off of sexual orientation. The whole, "it may make my other employees feel uncomfotable." defense would get you laughed right out of court. The current policy is unconstitutional, period.

And I'm glad that you will not worry about it, and in my opinion you should not. But can you really expect everyone in the military to be okay with the situation? Why should we separate men and women at all if not for the sexual preference?

I expect nothing less of them. It's my job to hold my subordinates to the standards set by the government/military leadership. If I hear one of my troops using the term ******; I will deal with them in the same manner that I would if they used n*****. I expect them to be professional. I'm not necessarily "ok" with a lot of situations that is presented to me in the military. That's completely irrelevant because my job is to do what I'm told not what I want.

Are you trying to imply that he was calling them a homosexual in any manner, or equating them? 'Cause that just bananas.

I think it is you who is trying hard to make it a homophobic slur than anyone else, but to each his own I guess.

Sometimes I have hope for humanity. I see people volunteering their time and resources to help others with no expectation of praise or reward and it makes me happy.

Other times I witness examples of people who try and excuse bad or hurtful behavior instead of admit that they're wrong and change. It makes me sad.

I don't see why it is bad and hurtful behavior if the intent was clearly not to denigrate homosexuals, intent should be all that matters, right?

Are you trying to imply that he was calling them a homosexual in any manner, or equating them? 'Cause that just bananas.

I think it is you who is trying hard to make it a homophobic slur than anyone else, but to each his own I guess.

You never answered Xenu's earlier question: Do you think South Asians would have been wrong to find it offensive if he'd used the word "Gook" instead of ******? Or Middle-Easterners if he'd called him a towel-head?

I don't see why it is bad and hurtful behavior if the intent was clearly not to denigrate homosexuals, intent should be all that matters, right?

"I wasn't trying to kill those preschoolers when I drove drunk, your honor. I was just trying to get home from the bar. And intent should be all that matters, right?

"I wasn't trying to kill those preschoolers when I drove drunk, your honor. I was just trying to get home from the bar. And intent should be all that matters, right?

Even a less extreme example, "I didn't mean to forget your birthday, I was extremely busy this week." would at least warrant guilt, an apology, and a promise to never let it happen again.

If it makes someone feel badly, you shouldn't do that. It's that simple.

"I didn't mean to sleep with your sister. It was dark, I was drunk, and you look alike. I mean, come on! You're sisters! I thought she was you! I was trying to sleep with you, and intent is all that matters, right?"

This is fun.

"It's not fair, boss. I didn't intend for you to read those emails where I called you the love child of Hitler and Cruella Deville. And if I didn't INTEND for you to read them, I don't think you can really punish me, because intent is what's important."