Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The NBA and fining players for social commentary

So are you going to define what is and isn't acceptable trash talk? Isn't that why it's called "trash talk" in the first place? Might as well call it "lame talk" if you want to take that position.

Kobe used a word that is commonly used to insult homosexual people. Even if you want to overlook the obvious morality problems by doing so; you need to realize the NBA is a business. Owners can't afford to alienate entire sects of their customer base so that players can scream out whatever the hell pops into their heads while on the court. If you were sitting courtside, would you really want your kid to hear Kobe scream "******"?

i'm not advocating the use of any (harmful) word, and i've said that in previous posts (or at least implied). However, I do believe you are free to use whatever word(s) you want. I don't make the distinction between what can and can't be said, like you did. I'm not a big fan of censorship, doubly so since we are talking about speech that is deliberately insulting.

The NBA has rules about slurs. Kobe broke them.

He's an employee. He has to follow rules.

Trash talk or not, he's a professional. That's his job. You think I wouldn't be punished if I called someone I didn't like a ****** in a business meeting?

i'm not advocating the use of any (harmful) word, and i've said that in previous posts (or at least implied). However, I do believe you are free to use whatever word(s) you want. I don't make the distinction between what can and can't be said, like you did. I'm not a big fan of censorship, doubly so since we are talking about speech that is deliberately insulting.

This isn't about censorship any more than explaining to people why "n**ger" is not such a good word to use is about censorship. It's the same thing. They're both derogatory terms used either to insinuate that certain groups of people sub-human, or to insult people not in those groups by comparing them. No one is trying to censor anything or remove words from use. All we're saying is that just as calling someone a n**ger paints you as a douchebag at the very least, calling someone a ****** does the same thing.

But this has all been beat to death in this thread. It's not surprising that a lot of people still don't understand.

This isn't about censorship any more than explaining to people why "n**ger" is not such a good word to use is about censorship. It's the same thing. They're both derogatory terms used either to insinuate that certain groups of people sub-human, or to insult people not in those groups by comparing them. No one is trying to censor anything or remove words from use. All we're saying is that just as calling someone a n**ger paints you as a douchebag at the very least, calling someone a ****** does the same thing.

But this has all been beat to death in this thread. It's not surprising that a lot of people still don't understand.

I attempted to say the same thing but you definitely worded it better than me. Maybe I could just give you 3 dollars a week and you can compose all of my message board posts.

Kobe used a word that is commonly used to insult homosexual people. Even if you want to overlook the obvious morality problems by doing so; you need to realize the NBA is a business. Owners can't afford to alienate entire sects of their customer base so that players can scream out whatever the hell pops into their heads while on the court. If you were sitting courtside, would you really want your kid to hear Kobe scream "******"?

I've already acknowledged that the NBA can do whatever is in its best interest, I don't need you to tell me to realize that thank you. And i've already said one shouldn't use those words.

TRBT said he doesn't approve of using the word as trash talk. I don't agree with that b/c a) it's trash talk, it's derogatory and mean in the first place and B ) he is suggesting some words are and aren't okay to use (you shouldn't use mean(er) words in trash talk?). Generally speaking, that is censorship. But the NBA has its own rules and can do it whatever it deems necessary.

You know, if Kobe called the ref a "cracker" I bet this wouldn't have gotten as much attention.

I've already acknowledged that the NBA can do whatever is in its best interest, I don't need you to tell me to realize that thank you. And i've already said one shouldn't use those words.

TRBT said he doesn't approve of using the word as trash talk. I don't agree with that b/c a) it's trash talk, it's derogatory and mean in the first place and B ) he is suggesting some words are and aren't okay to use (you shouldn't use mean(er) words in trash talk?). Generally speaking, that is censorship. But the NBA has its own rules and can do it whatever it deems necessary.

You know, if Kobe called the ref a "cracker" I bet this wouldn't have gotten as much attention.

If he did, it most certainly should. It's a racial slur. There should be no place for it in a meaningless game. Anybody that feels like they need to use slurs to trash talk effectively is a grade A douchebag. I'll ask you the same question that you've already ignored a few times: Is it acceptable for a player to yell out ****** as trash talk?

You inadvertently just made the exact point that all of us have been trying to explain to you. Kobe used the word ****** to describe another player (or was it a ref? I can't remember) and he intended for it to be derogatory. He used a word that has been been used to reduce homosexuals to second class citizens for decades as an insult.

I don't know how this can be explained any better.

Another point: If Kobe was talking to the ref than your entire point is moot. You don't "trash talk" a ref. That's just dumb.

Another point: If Kobe was talking to the ref than your entire point is moot. You don't "trash talk" a ref. That's just dumb.

you may think it's dumb, but the players do it all the time. Lebron, Kobe, Wade, KG all get into the ref's face from time to time.

you may think it's dumb, but the players do it all the time. Lebron, Kobe, Wade, KG all get into the ref's face from time to time.

That's the only thing you want to respond to? How about answering my question?

Trash talking, at least as far as I can tell, as always been a thing players to in order to get inside their opponents head. How do you do that with a referee?

That's the problem. It shouldn't be.

That's the only thing you want to respond to? How about answering my question?

Trash talking, at least as far as I can tell, as always been a thing players to in order to get inside their opponents head. How do you do that with a referee?

Why are you asking me about the refs? I don't play in the NBA. I have no idea why the players shout and holler at the refs when they get unfavorable or bad calls. Maybe they are trying to get the refs to call a fair game, idk.

what do you want me to respond? I've said it over and over again I don't think it's a big deal, mainly because it was never directed at a gay person. The context in which he said the word makes me believe that he was insulting the ref in a general purpose way. Since middle school (less than 10 years ago) i've always used the term as a general insult, not as a homophobic reference. I don't even know how to respond to the n word because black people call each other that all the time yet activists like MLK fought to have that word removed from the dictionary.

I think it's a bad word.

Kobe should have never said it.

The NBA has every right to protect its business and brand.

what else is there to say?