Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

Grade Otis Smith Sentinel Article

From my IPhone

Story Link: www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-orlando-magic-otis-smith-20110525,0,6797407.story

So basically this article breaks down Otis's moves and graded him a D.

I would have to say that needs to be more like a "Z" ...... I mean seriously its going to take a stroke from a pen ( CBA ) to give us any hope of making moves.

Our team as it sits is a first round team exit. The middle is soft beyond Howard... Our shooting falters under pressure... Defense isnt good enough to shut down the Hawks.... The Hawks....

I think a D is appropriate based on our goals. It's not an F. An F would be inaction and letting the team fail without trying to improve it. It's not a C. A C is closer to what happend in 09-10 when we got to the ECF (which only so many teams can claim in the last few years) but lost. D seems right.

• Upvote 1

I think a D is appropriate based on our goals. It's not an F. An F would be inaction and letting the team fail without trying to improve it. It's not a C. A C is closer to what happend in 09-10 when we got to the ECF (which only so many teams can claim in the last few years) but lost. D seems right.

Agreed, although getting to the ECF is closer to a C+ or B to me. . .

Agreed, although getting to the ECF is closer to a C+ or B to me. . .

Thats fair, but we really crapped the bed in that series. Wasn't really competitive. If everyone played to their potential we would have won.

You wouldn't grade him higher if he hadn't made the midseason trades?

I think one should evaluate Otis' moves minus Dwight being on the roster since he did nothing more than extend a rookie deal for dwight. That being said the expense fails to equal the performance. I could give him a D for trying but this is the big league not pee wee. You have the most important cog to a great team in the league and unlimited money and the net result is first round exit garbage. Give him a D for showing up and collecting a check if you want but Im a hard grader he gets an "F". Every move he made this year was badly judged and the results showed that. Do any of you really think he has the moxie or intelligence to assemble a championship squad....seriously. He got by on dwights shoulders at this point and that train may be coming to an end. If you want to win the the championship you need a driven gm with smarts. Truthfully if Otis were canned do you really see anyone picking him up as their gm? He is like the Chris Jent or Richie Adubato of gms.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think one should evaluate Otis' moves minus Dwight being on the roster since he did nothing more than extend a rookie deal for dwight. That being said the expense fails to equal the performance. I could give him a D for trying but this is the big league not pee wee. You have the most important cog to a great team in the league and unlimited money and the net result is first round exit garbage. Give him a D for showing up and collecting a check if you want but Im a hard grader he gets an "F". Every move he made this year was badly judged and the results showed that. Do any of you really think he has the moxie or intelligence to assemble a championship squad....seriously. He got by on dwights shoulders at this point and that train may be coming to an end. If you want to win the the championship you need a driven gm with smarts. Truthfully if Otis were canned do you really see anyone picking him up as their gm? He is like the Chris Jent or Richie Adubato of gms.

I sure didn't see this one coming. You're usually so overwhelmingly positive on such topics.

• Upvote 1

Why not? What does he deserve? wtf

That was an interesting response.

Anyway, a D is more than fair. Our moves this season were steps sideways with financial repercussions attached to them.

But definitely a B last year. He made the right moves in signing Vince and not resigning Turkoflu. It's not his fault Vince totally crapped out.

For screwing us financially and trading all of our assets (which could have helped in netting us another max contract superstar), I give him an F. He basically ruined this franchise unless he can work out a deal with Gil or the CBA saves him, but i'm not holding my breath.

You wouldn't grade him higher if he hadn't made the midseason trades?

If he hadn't made the trades, said "I LIKE THIS TEAM" and we lost in the first round, I would give him an F.

• Upvote 1