Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

What needs to be different?

First, I'll say I am not making this thread out of some outcry of desperation, giving up on the Magic's 3-1 hole that they have to dig themselves out of. I fully believe that the Magic can win the next 3 games in a row and take the series. However...

Obviously this team is not built to go deep into the playoffs and this is NOT the team that Dwight needs to convince him to stay in Orlando.

There won't be any free agent signings unless its an MLE signing cause the cap space is screwed (unless I got my numbers wrong?). So everything would have to be done through trades.

In my opinion, all of this points to one person. Otis. I agree that some of the trades have been ridiculous, but at the time they seemed like it fit the Magic's current problems, however come playoff time, none of the moves helped us get back to the finals. They've actually made it worse. 2009 - Finals, 2010- ECF, 2011 - 1st/2nd round.

I think the Magic really need to take a look at a new GM, but as far as who should the Magic get to replace Otis, I have no idea. Any suggestions on that?

SVG is a good coach and the players seem to respond to him. You don't make a coaching change until after Dwight resigns with the Magic. So, just deal with that.

What type of players do the Magic need? Who do we get rid of? Who would we like to obtain?

At first glance, I'd say the Magic really need to figure out something at the SF position. It is clear to me that Turk isn't the same Turk we had in 09. I blame 3 years of age but also probably 2 years of having his confidence torn up with the Raptors and Suns. I think the Magic need to look to trade him. Another player the Magic need to part ways with is either Ryan Anderson or Brandon Bass. Both of them are better than good PF, but neither of them are starting/finals winning PF and that is what the Magic need right now.

I think you look to trade - Turk, Anderson/Bass, Duhon, Allen, Orton (if its possible)

In return I think you have to acquire an athletic SF, tough PF, and a decent back up C.

Another question, can the Magic be led to the Finals by an undersized PG that is a liability on Defense? I'll defend that statement by saying that I am a HUGE Jameer fan and have loved him being in a Magic jersey since he was drafted, but I just don't know if he is Championship material PG. Would you consider putting Jameer in a trade package that included several other big pieces mentioned above if in return the Magic got players like Iggy, Young, Holiday (just speculation)??

Potential Trade Ideas:

Package with 76ers

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3b8sell

Fantasy trade with Rockets, Timberwolves

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6dc6g8d

Package with Hornets

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3cy3kcn

I know these are all crazy, but its 3am and NBA trade machine is really fun right now...

We need a PF. Bass and Anderson are both excellent bench players, but neither are NBA starters. We could obviously use an upgrade at SF, but I don't think anyone wants Hedo. He's aging, has a bad contract and is putting up a ton of bad game tape in this series.

I think we could win a title with Jason Richardson as our starting SG, but not as our 2nd best player. But, I don't think it's worth keeping him. Even if it is on a reasonable deal because the last thing we need is more long term contracts. We probably have to let him walk. Then do you start Redick at SG, or do you think Arenas could be a starting two guard? As far as Jameer, we can win a title with him. He's not our main problem. If the Lakers can win a bunch of rings with Derek Fisher, we can with Jameer. Hell, the Celtics won the Finals with a crappy Rondo.

I also think we need perimeter defenders. Otis traded away defense out there this winter and it bit us hard. Last year the Hawks backcourt was terrible against us and this year we can't stop Crawford, Johnson or Hinrich.

It's obvious we need huge changes, even if we do come back and win this series. Whoever our GM is going forward is going to have their work cut out for them.

• Upvote 2

We need a PF. Bass and Anderson are both excellent bench players, but neither are NBA starters. We could obviously use an upgrade at SF, but I don't think anyone wants Hedo. He's aging, has a bad contract and is putting up a ton of bad game tape in this series.

I think we could win a title with Jason Richardson as our starting SG, but not as our 2nd best player. But, I don't think it's worth keeping him. Even if it is on a reasonable deal because the last thing we need is more long term contracts. We probably have to let him walk. Then do you start Redick at SG, or do you think Arenas could be a starting two guard? As far as Jameer, we can win a title with him. He's not our main problem. If the Lakers can win a bunch of rings with Derek Fisher, we can with Jameer. Hell, the Celtics won the Finals with a crappy Rondo.

I also think we need perimeter defenders. Otis traded away defense out there this winter and it bit us hard. Last year the Hawks backcourt was terrible against us and this year we can't stop Crawford, Johnson or Hinrich.

It's obvious we need huge changes, even if we do come back and win this series. Whoever our GM is going forward is going to have their work cut out for them.

I agree. I think we can win with Jameer and JRich and our biggest holes are PF and SF. We need a defensive PF who can score and grab rebounds and a athletic SF who can drive to the whole.

My dream scenario would be to somehow acquire Iggy and Love. But I do agree its time to part ways with Otis, but the first priority other than winning this series obviously, is to make Dwight happy and have him resign with the Magic. After that happens, then I think thats when the Major changes will happen.

I agree. I think we can win with Jameer and JRich and our biggest holes are PF and SF. We need a defensive PF who can score and grab rebounds and a athletic SF who can drive to the whole.

My dream scenario would be to somehow acquire Iggy and Love. But I do agree its time to part ways with Otis, but the first priority other than winning this series obviously, is to make Dwight happy and have him resign with the Magic. After that happens, then I think thats when the Major changes will happen.

A Dwight/Love/Iggy/J-Rich/Jameer lineup makes you want to drool a little. Love would need to get a little better defensively, but that would be nice. Obviously won't happen though.

I think major changes need to happen now. He's not going to want to stay and play with aging Hedo and Jameer, Arenas on bad knees and two bench players sharing the load at PF. This team needs to retool whether Dwight stays or goes. Unfortunatly, Otis has put this team in a horrible position to make changes and I'm just not sure what we could do.

I agree. Which is why I posted the idea of trading Jameer in the first place because of an aging Hedo, I feel like Jameer would have to be packaged in that deal in order for any pieces to move. I also feel like whatever we do needs to be a multi-team deal so we can try and get maximum talent while other teams are satisfied too because I don't think we have all the trading pieces we need in order to acquire the pieces we want.

lol what the hell are you guys doing this late? I'm pretending to work :D

anyway i'd try to clear up as much cap space, dump hedo/JJ/Duhon/maybe jameer too for as many expiring contracts as possible. Then in 2012, restructure Arenas deal if possible, resign dwight, and add a big FA (D-will/CP3). Resign anderson, Bass is gone by then. Try to get Battier for the MLE (this offseason). Get Orton PT so by then we can exercise his option.

I don't want to play the swap contract for contract game anymore. just clean house and start over.

• Upvote 1

As you guys have said, something needs to change. And I agree that the PF/SF positions are problem positions for us.

What do you think of this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3ll79ol

I'm not a huge fan of this, other than the fact that we get Iggy, it seems to either be moving laterally or even hurt us.

You trade Jameer for Nate Robinson? Essentially the same type of PG, an undersize PG that can score. I like Robinson and have suggested getting him on here before, but as a back up to Jameer not replacing him. If you're doing that in an attempt to give us a solid back up and give Gil the reigns as the starter. I'm not really ready to do that either. I don't trust Gil's knees enough to let him be our starter just yet.

Then you trade Anderson and Bass and get Ibaka, which is clearly an upgrade at the PF position. However we lose both potential backups at the PF spot, leaving us with Allen/Clark. Maybe if we could just lose either Bass or Anderson, that would be better. Also, I'd hate to lose JJ. He's worked his butt off to get to where he's at right now and I think he brings that type of hustle that the Magic need. I really think the SG position is the strongest position for the Magic right now. JRich, JJ, Q - great rotation.

Actually I am afraid you have to try to sign JRich, he may be our only tradable asset. Let him find out his value and sign him. DO NOT GIVE HIM THE EXTRA YEARS. The only way you do not sign JRich is if you determine you are going to cut salary for next year.

You are right the GM has his work cut out for him. Changes are needed. This team is not athletic enough outside of Dwight.

know what gets me? We could have resigned Barnes for 1/4 the price maybe even less then what we're paying for Hedo and would recieve 10x more production.

Otis said it was too much to spend on him because his lack of offensive game and yet what does Hedo do?

That alone makes me want to beat Otis with a broomstick.