Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

Official Gamethread: ORLANDO at Atlanta 8PM

You know what would be nice? Assuming the Magic don't win a title this year (based on my expectations, at least), Otis tries to blow up the team and stack up on expirings

you have JJ, Bass, and Anderson that are good to somewhat good pieces. You have Q and Duhon who are movable and you have Hedo who would be very hard to move.

Arenas & Howard are unmovable for obvious reasons, Jameer's case depends on Dwight. You wouldn't want to trade Jameer if Dwight and him were still extremely close, no reason to have Dwight be mad at the organization.

So now you find a way to trade Hedo, using perhaps JJ as bait.

Some big time expirings for next year are:

Camby at $12.8 mil

Andre Miller (if he's not waived) at $7.8 mil

Jason Terry at $12.6

Caron Butler $10.5

Jason Kidd $8.6

Jamison ~$15

Okur $10.9

to name a few. . . I would actually like to see the Magic attempt to use young guys like Anderson, Bass, and maybe even JJ to get rid of Hedo and maybe Q/Duhon for expirings. If the Magic make a deep run to the ECF and maybe even Finals but lose, I can understand Otis trying to make the team better. . . but if it's a 1st round exit to the awful Hawks or a < 5 game loss to the Bulls, with Dwight hinting to leave, I'd like to see Otis completely clean house with expirings and go all out in 2012 for Dwight + DWill

talk about thread derailing. . .

better than taking troll bait...

Butler expires this year (otherwise agreed), and i'm as hopeful as any fan but I just can't see anyone taking on Turk. That's 25 million for another 3 years. And that's assuming he somehow stays level (he may very well be worse next year).

better than taking troll bait...

Butler expires this year (otherwise agreed), and i'm as hopeful as any fan but I just can't see anyone taking on Turk. That's 25 million for another 3 years. And that's assuming he somehow stays level (he may very well be worse next year).

Oh snap, forgot about Butler.

But the one thing about Hedo is that we could trade him by the deadline. He makes $11 mil that year and the good thing about his contract is that he agreed to take a pay cut when he was traded to Phoenix, and I believe it cut around 5 or 6 million off his last year, so he's only owed around 6-7 million in his final year, making him easier to be moved. I think a team like Dallas could be one to look at Hedo, Q, JJ, and maybe even get back Bass, and we get Portland involved and we could try ending up trading everyone for guys like Andre Miller, Camby, Terry, etc. Just some okay vets.

Best case scenario (at least for me) would be for the Magic to blow up the team completely for scrub expirings and for Dwight to pull a David Robinson. Get "injured" for most of the year or purposely tank games to get a high draft pick in a loaded lottery, heading into 2012 with a lottery pick and the chance to sign Dwight + another star. But I guess that's about as much of a pipe dream as getting prime KG.

Unless Smith is fired this summer, the Magic are doomed. He will just trade scrubs for more old scrubs. We need to get out of this Golden State mode. I really wish we had not made the trades at all.

Unless Smith is fired this summer, the Magic are doomed. He will just trade scrubs for more old scrubs. We need to get out of this Golden State mode. I really wish we had not made the trades at all.

Firing Otis would mean completely giving up the chance of Arenas opting out, as well as gambling on a different GM that could maybe not have a good relationship with Dwight. Hell, what if the new GM decided the Magic were going to lose Dwight regardless of what he did and traded him that same year? At least I'm confident that Otis will not trade Dwight under any circumstances and he provides that one beam of hope with Arenas. Give Otis 'til 2012. If Dwight leaves, he's gone. Dwight stays, well then he stays because he must have pulled off something incredible.

Although I will say this, if the next CBA includes a Franchise Tag and the Magic are able to retain Dwight anyways, firing Otis would be a lot easier. . .

• Upvote 1

Firing Otis would mean completely giving up the chance of Arenas opting out, as well as gambling on a different GM that could maybe not have a good relationship with Dwight. Hell, what if the new GM decided the Magic were going to lose Dwight regardless of what he did and traded him that same year? At least I'm confident that Otis will not trade Dwight under any circumstances and he provides that one beam of hope with Arenas. Give Otis 'til 2012. If Dwight leaves, he's gone. Dwight stays, well then he stays because he must have pulled off something incredible.

Do you think Areans will opt out? Would any other team what him? I am afraid that if we do not make it out of the first round, we will haveanother melo thing. Dwight is the best center in the league and all teams are going to gun for him. I am not sure how long Dwight will be happy having to play extended mintues every game.

Do you think Areans will opt out? Would any other team what him? I am afraid that if we do not make it out of the first round, we will haveanother melo thing. Dwight is the best center in the league and all teams are going to gun for him. I am not sure how long Dwight will be happy having to play extended mintues every game.

I don't think any other team would want him. As far as opting out, I think he would opt out if him and Otis had an under the table agreement where Otis would re-sign him to more money, but on more years, so it doesn't hurt the team's cap space as much as it is now. Hell, maybe even pay him under the table. If Otis is desperate and knows he'll lose his job if he can't keep Dwight, he might offer Arenas plenty of money to do it. . . this really wouldn't be possible with another GM and if Otis and Arenas weren't so close.

I don't think any other team would want him. As far as opting out, I think he would opt out if him and Otis had an under the table agreement where Otis would re-sign him to more money, but on more years, so it doesn't hurt the team's cap space as much as it is now. Hell, maybe even pay him under the table. If Otis is desperate and knows he'll lose his job if he can't keep Dwight, he might offer Arenas plenty of money to do it. . . this really wouldn't be possible with another GM and if Otis and Arenas weren't so close.

You are right. I hope this will happen.

If we absolutely have to trade Dwight, in the case that we can't resign him and we want something in return, can we get Blake Griffin?

Please?

Pretty please?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Dwight, all day every day... but Blake would be a good substitute. And the Clippers GM might go for it.

Biggie was still alive the last time the Hawks won a second round game.