Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

The Official Soccer Thread

VC Did you hear this from Nani?

http://sports.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201206/89286.php

I honestly can see Ronaldo wanting to take the last penalty to try to be a hero. He's so full of himself that I wouldn't be surprised.

Well, I doesn't surprise me. Usually you have your stronger kickers taking the 1st and 5th, Spain did it, having Alonso and Fabregas respectively (who had also nailed the 5th Penalty against Italy in 2008)

Drogba took the 5th penalty this year to beat Bayern

Ronaldo had also sent England home with his penalty in 2006

This time it didn't work, but I can't be mad.

Portugal could have won this tournament, we just needed some luck.

Well done today by Spain

Luck? I don't know why people say winning the penalty kicks it's about luck. To me, it isn't. It takes some skill to shot them as well as cold blood. You also need a good goalie that can stop 1 or 2.

Winning the lottery it's about luck. Winning a coin flip it's all about luck.

Portugal did play better than I expected though. Spain was just too much and the finals would have been better against Germany than Italy

Spain is usually sooooooooo boring to watch but they stepped it up for the final. I wish they'd play like that all the time. Felt bad for Italy though. One man down...but you can't deny the fact that spain played better.

I was so sure Germany would make it to the final but they got out hustled by Italy. I thought Portugal out hustled Spain but didn't do all that great in having possession in OT. I didn't get why Ronaldo didn't go in the beginning for the penalty kick. Outcome MIGHT have been diff...

All in all, I'm happy. Have been a Spain supporter before last world cup series :D

Luck? I don't know why people say winning the penalty kicks it's about luck. To me, it isn't. It takes some skill to shot them as well as cold blood. You also need a good goalie that can stop 1 or 2.

Winning the lottery it's about luck. Winning a coin flip it's all about luck.

Portugal did play better than I expected though. Spain was just too much and the finals would have been better against Germany than Italy

The difference between a shot that hits the post and goes out and one that hits the post and goes in isn't much, and the cold blood thing is funny too, Sergio Ramos shot a rocket to the stands against Bayern and then hit a "cold blooded" penalty against Portugal

Of course it takes skill, but luck is part of the equation sometimes

The difference between a shot that hits the post and goes out and one that hits the post and goes in isn't much, and the cold blood thing is funny too, Sergio Ramos shot a rocket to the stands against Bayern and then hit a "cold blooded" penalty against Portugal

Of course it takes skill, but luck is part of the equation sometimes

It's more about luck and guess work for the goalie. In high school I took penalty kicks for my team when I was in because I practiced them regularly, even though I was not one of our primary goal scorers. Goalies are really at the takers mercy in PK's these days, especially with the ridiculous rules placed on them. I still look at Hope Solo's save against Brazil as the gold standard of *****ed up PK rules (almost) ruining a match.

FC Porto signed Jackson Martinez

I was reading that a few days ago. 25 years old with a lot of potential.

When he played for Medellin (Colombia) he was the best forward and he was really good week after week. In Mexico, I heard he was pretty good too. I don't watch that league, but he's team was usually up there in the standings.

You are getting a player that runs a lot and goes back to mid field to pick up the ball. He's not selfish and will probably have good chemistry with Rodriguez.

I heard Chelsea is after Hulk. I would be nice to see all 3 (Hulk, Rodriguez and Martinez) score and play like the Falcao days

Stunned there is no olympic talk here at all. Gotta love the US/Canada match yesterday. Not to sound like a total rah rah American here but I do believe the right call was made on both the goalie kick and the subsequent handball. From what it sounds like Canada's goalie was already warned once about holding it to long and the second time she held onto that ball for well over 10 seconds. And that handball was the letter of the law. Canada still had a chance to win it but Solo made a fantastic save and the US made canada pay for there physical play, by the end of the game canada had nothing left.

Also must say on the mens side: GO JAPAN!!!!