Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

The Official Soccer Thread

Great player, definitely. Massively overrated, too. Not at the Messi´s stature. And certainly more than a failure in his national team than Messi.

He's slightly overrated I admit, but he is one of the best players performing today. He was considered the best player in the world in 2008 and is now ranked at number 2. These are rankings submitted by coaches and international team captains (for the FIFA World Player of the year).

Nobody is really up to Messi's stature at the moment. The guy is having a breakthrough in his career.

Today was a soccer filled day for me.

As a student of Japanese language and culture, if there was only one team I'd rather see win besides the US it would be Japan, especially after what happened in the country recently. It's just that it came AGAINST the US. If they had beaten say France or someone else I would have been happy for em.

After that I headed to the Orlando City match up against the Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League, the first time they have played a squad of the EPL. Despite losing 3-1, OC really held up well against most of Bolton's first team, and this was after playing the night before in a hour delayed match. OC held an almost dead even in Time of possession and had one goal called back on a very iffy offsides penalty. This isnt the first time OC has done well against upper league teams. They hold a 1-1-1 record against MLS squads in friendlies as well. A good size crowd of nearly 7000 showed up so it was awesome.

Oh and I have to say, I still consider Hop Solo a freaking goddess, but I have to say that she is deffinitely number 2 on that team. Alex Morgan is well...

alex-morgan-2.jpg

Damn.

And on a side note, does anyone here know of a place to play just some pick up soccer with some friends in Seminole county? I need to get back into the sport and I wanna find a place to play.

Great player, definitely. Massively overrated, too. Not at the Messi´s stature. And certainly more than a failure in his national team than Messi.

He's not Messi that's for sure, but C. Ronaldo is a heck of a player and he just played an awesome season scoring 39 goals and beating a previous record set by Hugo Sanchez and someone else. I don't really like this dude, but he's a tremendous player!

Both players are a big time failure for their national teams.

Ronaldo scored 41 in La Liga alone

Anyone who says he's not top 2 in the world is blind.

And I understand that you're south american and all but you said, take 4 players and you have the best players in the world in Copa America? I totally disagree, there are more top players playing in Euros

Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Pique, Ronaldo, Robben, Sneijder, Rooney are all better than any player in the brazillian squad, and Argentina is loaded with stars but more on the offensive end, their defense is quite sub-par.

• Upvote 1

I was a million times more upset about the U.S. losing than the Magic losing to the Hawks. Yeah. It's like that.

and....

Alex-Morgan2.jpg

More this...less Lebron...less lockout talks....less everything...just more of this.

• Upvote 1

The level of Copa America is awesome.

Take away 4 guys: Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas and Rooney, and the rest of the World´s Best Players are here:

Messi, Forlan, Aguero, Neymar, Pato, Maicon, Mascherano, Lucio, Lugano, Robinho, Suarez, Sanchez, Vargas, Falcao, Tevez, Guarin, Lavezzi, Ganso.

Completely disagree. You clearly don't watch much European football to be making statements like that and you name some extremely overated Agentinian players (an extremely overated team much like my England, two teams that have done nothing for years.) Hell I don't even think Rooney should be mentioned and I'm English, his form has dipped dramatically over the last 12 months.

Firstly, Ronaldo is easily the best player behind Messi and that's coming from someone who can't stand him. He's won all 3 English trophies, the champions league the Spanish cup and broke scoring records in England and Spain which are regarded as the two best domestic leagues worldwide (in England he played in midfield and outscored all forwards.) On top of that he's taken his national team to the semi finals of a world cup and to the finals of the Euro cup (something Messi has got nowhere near with Argentina)

Some of the players you name are not world class (granted they are all very very good.) Messi, Forlan, Maicon, Lucio and Tevez sure, the rest have flattered to deceive or are still young and have not proven themselves in big markets or on the world stage . How Sanchez is even on this list is beyond me. The guy plays for an average team, has won nothing and has scored a whopping 20 goals in 95 games for Udinese and 39 goals in 192 club games in total, not a great tally for an attacker. I have no doubt he will go on to be a class act in the future but right now his name shouldn't be anwhere near the best players in the world.

You then coveniently 'forget' the likes of Eto'o, Villa, Ozil, Drogba, Sneidjer, Robben, Goetze, Essien, Gerrard, Schweinsteiger, Ljajic, Vidic, Van Persie.

This is probably the most accurate current top 100 I've seen in a long time, very fair appraisal 100 best footballers 2011 and has a lot of Euro players lower down the list and a few very good Africans.

• Upvote 2

Completely disagree. You clearly don't watch much European football to be making statements like that and you name some extremely overated Agentinian players (an extremely overated team much like my England, two teams that have done nothing for years.) Hell I don't even think Rooney should be mentioned and I'm English, his form has dipped dramatically over the last 12 months.

Firstly, Ronaldo is easily the best player behind Messi and that's coming from someone who can't stand him. He's won all 3 English trophies, the champions league the Spanish cup and broke scoring records in England and Spain which are regarded as the two best domestic leagues worldwide (in England he played in midfield and outscored all forwards.) On top of that he's taken his national team to the semi finals of a world cup and to the finals of the Euro cup (something Messi has got nowhere near with Argentina)

Some of the players you name are not world class (granted they are all very very good.) Messi, Forlan, Maicon, Lucio and Tevez sure, the rest have flattered to deceive or are still young and have not proven themselves in big markets or on the world stage . How Sanchez is even on this list is beyond me. The guy plays for an average team, has won nothing and has scored a whopping 20 goals in 95 games for Udinese and 39 goals in 192 club games in total, not a great tally for an attacker. I have no doubt he will go on to be a class act in the future but right now his name shouldn't be anwhere near the best players in the world.

You then coveniently 'forget' the likes of Eto'o, Villa, Ozil, Drogba, Sneidjer, Robben, Goetze, Essien, Gerrard, Schweinsteiger, Ljajic, Vidic, Van Persie.

This is probably the most accurate current top 100 I've seen in a long time, very fair appraisal 100 best footballers 2011 and has a lot of Euro players lower down the list and a few very good Africans.

Cristiano_Ronaldo-_1421545i.jpg

This Copa America has been so mediocre at best. Paraguay will be playing the final on Sunday and they haven't even won a singe game in the regulatory time. They have tied all 5 games and their style, while it's taken them to the finals is pretty boring.

Brazil did not play well. Their best game was probably against Paraguay and they lost, but that team has a lot room to improve.

Argentina has great players, but cannot play as a team. Their best game was against a sub 23 Costa Rica and couldn't even beat the the second worst team in the copa (Bolivia)

Chile played well at times with their overrated player in Sanchez, but could not beat Venezuela.

Colombia, good players, but their coaching staff is afraid of playing forward. They will want to play like if it was 1990.

Venezuela has really surprised me. They're no longer afraid of playing and almost beat Paraguay yesterday. They should have been in the finals.

Uruguay deserves to win the Copa. The way they played Argentina with 10 man was just amazing. They play with a lot of cojones!

Uruguay deserves to win the Copa. The way they played Argentina with 10 man was just amazing. They play with a lot of cojones!

Agreed. Really hoping they win. That team has a lot of heart.