Sign in to follow this  
The Ryan Anderbads

Has SVG failed the Magic? OR Management? OR players?

ok, you can defend SVG and I respect your opinions. My opinion is that he is not good enough coach to win a championship. Maybe he will change, at least I hope for it...

if he's not, then there aren't many coaches that are good enough to win a championship

ok, you can defend SVG and I respect your opinions. My opinion is that he is not good enough coach to win a championship. Maybe he will change, at least I hope for it...

IMO, you can't put all the heat on him. I look at the pieces that were given to him as well, along with some under achieveing players we have. Arenas is looking like a huge let down from a gameplay standpoint (hopefully that'll change) and we could be put in salary cap hell. I like the Phoenix trade because it gives us further options, as to keeping or trading J Rich for example. The Washington trade is arguable and the jury is still out.

Overall, there's no one person you can blame for everything

I am not blaming only SVG. Of course trade with Washington was absolutely terrible. We got a player with more years and money on his deal and did not get a draft pick for that or one of Wizards young bigs.

I am not blaming only SVG. Of course trade with Washington was absolutely terrible. We got a player with more years and money on his deal and did not get a draft pick for that or one of Wizards young bigs.

Like I said, the jury is still out on this trade. If the rumors are true about Gil not being healthy, then we haven't seen him at his best. Also, after watching Lewis tonight, I really don't see how we downgraded in anyway other than size and contracts. Let's face it Lewis is done. A vast majority of his shots seem to be short, most likely due to wear and tear on the legs and knees. Gil has knee problems of his own, but he's also a bit younger so he may still have a couple years of brilliant play if he does get healthy.

the key is extra 30 millions Arenas has on his deal and extra year on the contract. some people are saying he renegotiated his deal or will do that, but it is not official.

another Otis mistakes-drafting Fran Vasquez, giving max deal to Lewis when no one in the league could do that, trading Ariza for Cook/Evans...

LeBron couldn't shoot that season! His big rip was his inabiity to shoot outside of the paint consistently. Hell, if I'm SVG and LeBron wants to shoot a contested 3 that season when he shoots a poor % from 3, all the power to him. LeBron is x10 the shooter now than what he was then so don't let his 51 point game the other night distort the real LeBron of a couple years ago.

The same situation happened in the Philly series when Iggy hit that dagger 3. Iggy is also a sub par 3PT shooter at best but he also drained it when it mattered so I have to give him credit.

Regardless of how low his shooting percentage from 3 was, he was arguably the 2nd best player in the NBA then AND made several unbelievable game-winning shots that year. As a Magic fan, you really want the ball in that guys hands to win a game or do you want a no name role player with all the pressure of making a game-winning 3 pointer to take that shot.

Stan Van Gundy has not failed the magic. He has made some mistakes, but who hasn't. Overall, SVG has been a great coach who has taken Orlando to the NBA Finals and to the Eastern Conference Finals the last two years respectively. He got beat by a Lakers team two years ago that had one of the best players in NBA history playing with probably the best overall PF in the game then and now. And despite what people outside of Orlando think, that series could have easily gone Orlando's way. If Lee hits that layup Orlando goes into game 3 tied with home court advantage. And trying to blame game 4 on Nelson for not jumping up in the air to guard a guy taking a 30 running shot is just stupid (and by extension, blaming SVG is equally as stupid; he had nelson in the game because he was a veteran who Stan trusted not to leave his man to double team Kobe, which he didn't). Any NBA player stupid enough to leave his feet defending a running jump shooter at the end of a game should be shot. You learn that the first day of practice in middle school. Against the Celtics last year Boston simply had more talent. Go ahead, yell and scream and call me an idiot, but they had Orlando beat at every position except Center. There's not much Stan can do with Vince Carter to make him not a complete choke-artist. And unless Stan doubled for Sean Connery in 'The Medicine Man', he couldn't cure Lewis' viral disease. So what should he have done? Put in Bass who hadn't played significant minutes all year and who hadn't really played at all in the playoffs against Kevin Garnett. The guy still didn't really know the defense (Still doesn't, really). Eventually, out of desperation, he did insert Bass, and yes the guy played better than expected, but that was a shock at the time. There was no reason to do it until desperation time.

Otis Smith and the team management has not failed the team. This management group drafted Dwight, drafted Nelson, signed Hedo and Lewis and Pietrus (who were three HUGE parts of the championship run). They didn't throw huge money at Hedo, instead they took a chance on Carter (a move nearly every analyst in the NBA loved). And before anyone complains that they then traded for Hedo later, remember that the last year of the contract he signed in Toronto was voided, so the money isn't as bad as it would have been to keep him in Orlando, and they got rid of another contract albatross named Gortat in that trade. The only big mistake I see so far is the Lewis for Arenas trade, and that hasn't really been decided yet.

The players on the team now are not to blame for the previous losses in the Finals and Con. Finals. The players who underperformed against Boston last year are gone. The Lakers series was a (mostly) hard-fought series that Orlando lost in poor fashion at home, but for the most part they just didn't have the juice to beat L.A. that year. This year is still in progress, and though I haven't been enthused by their effort defensively, I think they still have a team whose pieces can still get it done, depending on how well they get the defense playing by year's end.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Regardless of how low his shooting percentage from 3 was, he was arguably the 2nd best player in the NBA then AND made several unbelievable game-winning shots that year. As a Magic fan, you really want the ball in that guys hands to win a game or do you want a no name role player with all the pressure of making a game-winning 3 pointer to take that shot.

Defend a guy who is an average shooter at best and poor 3PT shooter OR arguably the team's best 3PT shooter, both in the clutch.

Pick your poison

Defend a guy who is an average shooter at best and poor 3PT shooter OR arguably the team's best 3PT shooter, both in the clutch.

Pick your poison

How in the hell is Pavlovic a "clutch" 3 point shooter?!

And to think, earlier you said Derek Fisher wasn't "clutch". You seem to be confusing the two.

How in the hell is Pavlovic a "clutch" 3 point shooter?!

And to think, earlier you said Derek Fisher wasn't "clutch". You seem to be confusing the two.

I'm saying both are in clutch situations, not that both are players clutch, you tool.