Sign in to follow this  
Berto

Official Game Thread: Heat vs Magic

2nd in the league? That's Dwight. Is there chemistry issues to work on sure but all you gotta do is look at the roster. No one outside of Dwight in their careers are known to play defense. None are known to be slashers. We are simply Dwight and a bunch of jump shooters. The only guy who was successful at slashing was Arenas because of that quick first step. Its not there right now and no one knows if it ever will be.

lol, that's not just Dwight. Dwight doesn't average 51.8 points in the paint (by the way, I looked at the numbers for the entire month of January and the Magic are 1st in the league in points in the paint by 4.2 points a game).

and again, you don't seem to understand system. Why do you think Boston is so successful? The only guy that can really drive on that team is Rondo, the rest are jump shooters. And no, Pierce jumping into the defender does not count as a drive. They're so successful because not only do they play great defense (by the way, outside of KG and a bit of Rondo, none of those guys were ever known for their defense), but because they work within their system to get open shots and open lanes by getting guys on their feet and spacing well on the floor, but they also work hard defensively within their system. None of those guys (with the exception of maybe KG) can really guard their opponents one and one, but they do a terrific job of rotating and making sure there aren't any holes.

Now, I mention Boston as an example of a team with a bunch of jump shooters and with no good defenders (outside of KG and now Perkins, although they didn't seem to need Perkins at all). I don't think the Magic can execute in the half court as well as Boston can, but it doesn't mean it's impossible nor does it mean it's unlikely. This would be unlikely if this team had played together for a long time like Boston has, but still wasn't able to do well. . . but it doesn't even make sense to write off a team that has played little over 20 games together and hasn't actually shown any effort or executed consistently.

If a few games after the All-Star break things don't change, then maybe the Magic will need to completely change their game plan, but it's way too early to do that just like it's too early to think it'll continue to happen

lol, that's not just Dwight. Dwight doesn't average 51.8 points in the paint (by the way, I looked at the numbers for the entire month of January and the Magic are 1st in the league in points in the paint by 4.2 points a game).

and again, you don't seem to understand system. Why do you think Boston is so successful? The only guy that can really drive on that team is Rondo, the rest are jump shooters. And no, Pierce jumping into the defender does not count as a drive. They're so successful because not only do they play great defense (by the way, outside of KG and a bit of Rondo, none of those guys were ever known for their defense), but because they work within their system to get open shots and open lanes by getting guys on their feet and spacing well on the floor, but they also work hard defensively within their system. None of those guys (with the exception of maybe KG) can really guard their opponents one and one, but they do a terrific job of rotating and making sure there aren't any holes.

Now, I mention Boston as an example of a team with a bunch of jump shooters and with no good defenders (outside of KG and now Perkins, although they didn't seem to need Perkins at all). I don't think the Magic can execute in the half court as well as Boston can, but it doesn't mean it's impossible nor does it mean it's unlikely. This would be unlikely if this team had played together for a long time like Boston has, but still wasn't able to do well. . . but it doesn't even make sense to write off a team that has played little over 20 games together and hasn't actually shown any effort or executed consistently.

If a few games after the All-Star break things don't change, then maybe the Magic will need to completely change their game plan, but it's way too early to do that just like it's too early to think it'll continue to happen

I'm pretty sure Pierce drives and kicks too. Ray Allen can put the ball on the floor as well.

I'd say Rondo is one of the best defensive point guards you can have. Perkins is good one on one even if you aren't talking about just Howard.

I don't think Orlando will ever, ever execute as well as Boston does in half court simply because they've never shown to since... forever.

I'm pretty sure Pierce drives and kicks too. Ray Allen can put the ball on the floor as well.

I'd say Rondo is one of the best defensive point guards you can have. Perkins is good one on one even if you aren't talking about just Howard.

Pierce and Allen drive and kick about as consistently as Hedo and JRich do. Perkins has barely even played any games so he's a non-factor here. Rondo? Guy that plays the passing lanes every possession (which isn't really good defense).

I don't think Orlando will ever, ever execute as well as Boston does in half court simply because they've never shown to since... forever.

They won't, but it doesn't mean they can't be as good. Boston will probably never, ever be as explosive as Orlando from the 3pt line and running the breaks, or rebound as well, but that doesn't mean they're worse. Every team has its weaknesses. . .

Your description of Boston is wrong. Pierce in his prime was very crafty and diverse at getting to the basket. Still is even though he's lost a few steps athletically. He wasn't Bruce Bown on D but his IQ mixed with the will to win made him decent. Same goes for Allen. Allen is already athletic with an high IQ but with the will to win makes hin an decent defender.

The difference is not so much the will to win isn't there. Its the IQ and the skill that

Boston has and Orlando lacks.

Am I'm gonna write them off? No. You can't in the NBA. There's injuries. Trades. As of right now though I believe all the chemistry in the world won't result into this team winning a ring this year or next as its currently constructed.

While Pierce and Allen were both capable of being good defenders in their prime, they never gave the effort with their losing teams. By the time they were all together in Boston, they lost most of their athleticism to ever really be effective.

I do agree about the IQ comment, but I think that hurts the team more offensively than it does defensively. Even if the team doesn't have four guys that can play defense well, it's only a matter of playing within the system because Dwight is so damn good he'll make up for the lack of talent from the other guys. Orlando can (and has shown to be) a better defensive team than Boston, all because of Dwight. However, this definitely isn't going to happen when guys miss rotations nearly every single possession and when they do play well defensively, they'll stop giving effort because there's only 5 seconds left on the clock, leading to holes in the defense and a wide open shot. Again, effort and consistency. . .

Trust me on this. IQ does play a role on the defense side of the ball. Some say its all effort. It is majority but not entirely. The rest is IQ.

That's why Boston at their age is good. That's why the Spurs are good this year. Just good ol fashion smart ballers.

I'ver never been so pissed with a final shot than Ryan Anderson hoisting yet another 3 while JJ is sitting calmly in the corner waiting for the ball.

Ryan Anderson had an aboslutely TERRIBLE game. Earl Clark gets the nod starting at the 4 over Ryan, until Ryan PROVES he can actually MAKE shots when he is in the starting lineup because apparently he only makes them when he is a bench player.

Jameer didn't play agressive until the last 5 minutes.

Hedo was non-existent.

J Rich chucked too much, I like it when he drives.

Nobody passed dwight the ball at all in the second half.

Stan Van Gundy drew up a play for Ryan Anderson? When has he EVER hit a clutch shot!!!!!!!??????? Why isn't JRICH getting the play call or jameer????? People that have proven they can hit big shots????? The whole team is at fault for this loss including SVG.

We need to make a trade for a big man. Dwight playing 50 minutes every game is going to hurt is in the playoffs. Otis, make a damn trade already.

• Upvote 1

Hedo wasn't non existent. He had a solid game...13 points on 5-8 shooting and 1-1 from three. He played 30 minutes, but he also is still dealing with a sore back and got his leg twisted early on. I seriously thought we were losing Hedo for a serious amount of time there.

What is ultimately came down to was Dwight missing 10 free throws, us missing good looks from three, and LeBron having one of the best outside shooting performances of his career. Like I said earlier....disapointing, but hardly the end of the world.

• Upvote 1