Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

Congrats to Marcin Gortat

If only the Magic had drafted this guy:

16_okafor.jpg

then we'd actually have a competitive big man

The hammer has averaged 20/12/1.3 in the last 3 games! It's a shame we couldn't figure out a better way to utilize him!

You do know that he averages those only at the center position. I mean if you would have 5 Kobe bryants on the floor not everyone one of them would average 25p a game. He was luxury for us and everyone knows that.

Now I can only hope that we get Orton to practise with Dwight and become same kind of beast that Gortat is.

Scoring...My answer is broader than that, but I'll work backwards from your diatribe because I don't see the solution you do & I think it's a result of confusing shooters with scorers & play makers.

I still see the offense bog down when teams defend Dwight 1 on 1 and defend the perimeter. That's because this team still lacks anybody who can create their own shot and still hasn't diversified the play book to create shot opportunities for shooters. Same issue this teams had, same issue it continues to have. Improved spot up shooters still need somebody to break down the D and get them the ball. Part of Orlando's problem has been scoring, but THE problem this team runs into offensively is creating open shots, not an inability to knock down open shots.

Insert Hedo the play maker as a solution? That would require me to look past the difficulties he's had vs. tough perimeter defenders like Pierce, Iguodala, Ariza, & Deng. Only thing that's improved imo is Dwights ability to exploit single coverage.

I think J-Rich's stats epitomize the system part of this equation. J-Rich played off the ball in Pheonix, played off the ball in GS, plays off the ball in Orlando. No change. Difference, with Orando, he's relagated to standing behind the 3 point line in the half court. For the first time in his career, he's shooting over half his shots from 3, sound familiar? If Orlando can't break the D down by posting Dwight or running pick-n-roll, they are still stuck, and unable to create shots for this bevy of shooters.

There's a flip side to this weakness and it's individual perimeter defense. Claiming defense wasn't an issue against Boston because they didn't score over 96 in the series ignores Boston playoff norms. Boston methodically takes Orlando apart offensively by creating & exploiting mismatches, just as Detroit used to. Orlando's weak perimeter defenders, their lack of perimeter versatility, and the lack of help D from anybody other than Dwight get exploited by such teams. This, was not improved by the trades, this was made worse, across the board. Weaker perimeter D, less versatility, less help.

The other part of this equation, Orlando is exploitable physically. Was against Boston, was against LA, was against Detroit, will still be by the elite teams. That manifests itself at times on offense, defense, and/or on the glass. The trades have not made Orlando tougher or more physical and pertinent to this thread, Gortat gave Orlando an option to become a bigger, more physical team, as well as provide a screen setter if SVG ever diversified the offense & secondary help defender.

3 players who've proven limited vs. playoff caliber competition: Hedo, JJ, & RA

I forgot its impossible to be critical of this team without being a hater & suggesting the team or a specific player isn't perfect is an obvious implication it/they completely sux. But, occassionally, when you actually engage in dialog before jumping to conclusions, apparently there's potential for common ground or at a minimum rational conversation, and you'll discover I'm simply discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the team or player.

Not everything has to be addressed with extremes and the point I think you're missing is that simple diversity of the play book would go a long way in unlocking untapped potential among the player who have been or are on the roster.

It would be ideal to have a premier scorer and/or play maker to compliment Dwight and the perimeter shooters, but they don't grow on tree's, and this team could get by simply with more options. Contrary to popular belief, I do acknowledge the obvious, this team is pretty good as is, but it needs to address the limitations of the two pronged offense. That can be as simple as two years ago using Rashard in the post against Thad Young & Big Baby when Orlando bogged down in the playoffs. It could have been as easy as matching up Shard with Pierce and wearing him out in the post last season. It could be as simple as having AnderBass used in the post more & running JRich & JJ off more screens. Beyond the intended targets of player movement, player movement creates seams and counter plays that can be exploit the defense.

Countless teams have mediocre, marginal, or decent players capable of creating off the bounce, in the post, or shooting off movement that aren't primary scorers.

Prime example, Boston. Off their bench, they've had Eddie House & Nate Robinson. They aren't premier players or primary scorers. But, House was a guy they could run ragged off screens when they needed offense, Robinson is a guy they give the ball to and say go get some. Has Orlando had that type of player? Are those type of players hard to come by? Or you could go the Laker route and have an offense that creates shots for marginal players like Shannon Brown off the bounce. Those type of options have existed on this roster, do exist on the roster, & are easily obtainable outside of this roster.

These two posts were some of if not THE most objective, well thought out, and overall best posts on the board lately. Funny how I'm the only one to +1 them....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interview with the Polish Hammer.

Orlando was a cell or a good school?

There was a lot of players in the NBA who signed big contracts early in their career, were thrown into deep water and drowned. I experienced a lot of things in Orlando - there were games where I played 20-30 minutes deep in the play-offs, I played in the Finals. In the early seasons I have learned a great deal, I had a great coach who taught me the defensive mentality and on-court discipline. That shaped me as a player and helps me now, also, because I didn't play much I have huge hunger to play. I had a few great games in Phoenix but it is still not even close to being enough. I will murder and kill (wow, exact words) until I get bored (laughs). It's not gonna be soon, because I was sitting and watching for almost 4 years. It's payback time now...

My link

Interview with the Polish Hammer.

Orlando was a cell or a good school?

There was a lot of players in the NBA who signed big contracts early in their career, were thrown into deep water and drowned. I experienced a lot of things in Orlando - there were games where I played 20-30 minutes deep in the play-offs, I played in the Finals. In the early seasons I have learned a great deal, I had a great coach who taught me the defensive mentality and on-court discipline. That shaped me as a player and helps me now, also, because I didn't play much I have huge hunger to play. I had a few great games in Phoenix but it is still not even close to being enough. I will murder and kill (wow, exact words) until I get bored (laughs). It's not gonna be soon, because I was sitting and watching for almost 4 years. It's payback time now...

My link

Marcin Gortat will average 15/10 next year. Sig it, Book it.

Well if Marcin wanted starters minutes he got 53 minutes last night (off the bench). 24 points 16 rebs and 2 blocks against the lakers in triple OT. It was a great game to watch. I bet he loves playing with a real point guard. His numbers are better than bynum since all star break. The guy will be an all star at center soon and JRich will be gone as a free agent. Thanks for dumping talent Otis!

• Downvote 4