Sign in to follow this  
BigBoy

Areas of Player Improvement

I'm not sure if this has been done or not already but I wanted to be able to talk about something other than a coach for a change. (Welcome Stan, we are VERY glad to have you)

What areas of improvement do you think would make the player better, and help the team?

My thoughts:

1. Dwight

- Free Throws

- Develop a shot from just outside the paint. I would like to see a consistent fade away like Ewing and Olajuwan's.

- Passing out of the double teams. He got better at the end of the year but still needs improvements. Too many turnovers trying to decide what to do.

2. Darko

- Mental toughness (can this be taught?) I think he tends to disappear at times and just goes through the motions. Keep your head in the game big man.

- Aggressiveness - I think at times he defers too much and passes when he should be aggressive and take it to the basket. (At the end of the season he was doing this better as well. He had some thundering dunks in traffic instead of trying to lay it in.

* I will say I think the best thing that would help Darko would be a well defined role of what he should do.

3. Trevor

- Jump Shot. I like his game, but he needs to be consistent on his jumpshot or everyone will just continue to play off him and wait for him to drive.

4. Jameer & Carlos

- I don't know where to begin. I think these guys, like Darko, will do better in a different system and a clearly defined role (and a little freedom). PG is a tough position and I think Jameer can do it, but he does have alot to learn still. Don't give up Jameer. (I don't think giving up is even in his vocabulary - You have to respect that about the guy, even if you don't like him)

5. J.J.

- Defense. Look, despite what people said J.J. was not THAT bad a defender! He may be a little undersized but he is smart and he is active. He should improve here, if for anything else to save our big man from getting cheap fouls trying to help him on defense.

* I know this isn't an improvement but I wanted to add it. JJ is an EXCELLENT passer and sees the floor well. He obviously keeps teams honest with his range, but his passing is good as well. Also, please Stan! can someone teach this team how to SET SCREENS OFF THE BALL?? Isn't that a fundamental???? (Sorry, one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate when guys don't set screens for cutters, especially shooters.)

There are many more players I know, but those are the ones I thought could be the most discussed. So.... discuss!

P.S. I'm not being negative about our players, I think they are great, but everyone should try to improve themselves. Especially in sports.

I'm not sure if this has been done or not already but I wanted to be able to talk about something other than a coach for a change. (Welcome Stan, we are VERY glad to have you)

What areas of improvement do you think would make the player better, and help the team?

My thoughts:

1. Dwight

- Free Throws

- Develop a shot from just outside the paint. I would like to see a consistent fade away like Ewing and Olajuwan's.

- Passing out of the double teams. He got better at the end of the year but still needs improvements. Too many turnovers trying to decide what to do.

2. Darko

- Mental toughness (can this be taught?) I think he tends to disappear at times and just goes through the motions. Keep your head in the game big man.

- Aggressiveness - I think at times he defers too much and passes when he should be aggressive and take it to the basket. (At the end of the season he was doing this better as well. He had some thundering dunks in traffic instead of trying to lay it in.

* I will say I think the best thing that would help Darko would be a well defined role of what he should do.

3. Trevor

- Jump Shot. I like his game, but he needs to be consistent on his jumpshot or everyone will just continue to play off him and wait for him to drive.

4. Jameer & Carlos

- I don't know where to begin. I think these guys, like Darko, will do better in a different system and a clearly defined role (and a little freedom). PG is a tough position and I think Jameer can do it, but he does have alot to learn still. Don't give up Jameer. (I don't think giving up is even in his vocabulary - You have to respect that about the guy, even if you don't like him)

5. J.J.

- Defense. Look, despite what people said J.J. was not THAT bad a defender! He may be a little undersized but he is smart and he is active. He should improve here, if for anything else to save our big man from getting cheap fouls trying to help him on defense.

* I know this isn't an improvement but I wanted to add it. JJ is an EXCELLENT passer and sees the floor well. He obviously keeps teams honest with his range, but his passing is good as well. Also, please Stan! can someone teach this team how to SET SCREENS OFF THE BALL?? Isn't that a fundamental???? (Sorry, one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate when guys don't set screens for cutters, especially shooters.)

There are many more players I know, but those are the ones I thought could be the most discussed. So.... discuss!

P.S. I'm not being negative about our players, I think they are great, but everyone should try to improve themselves. Especially in sports.

Gonna get straight to the list:

Dwight:

Like you said FTs and passing. And about shooting, I think he has to work on his hook shot, because it's not as reliable as it should be. Darko is much better in this element from what I have seen.

Darko:

Gotta agree, aggressiveness and motivation are two things that Darko has to work on.

Trevor:

Definitely jump shot, overall he is progressing very nicely already.

Our Pgs:

Hard to say, we will see how they will work now that we will actually have some offensive game plans.

JJ:

Again hard to say because we havent seen him too much, but I dont think he disappointed with his defense when he played. He should just keep working on his game overall and prove himself on the court.

The NBA needs to make an exception in Pat Garrity's case. Everyone must play in slow motion when he is in the game, and he is allowed 8 fouls before he has to sit down. So now he will be allowed to play for at least 10 minutes a game on Brian Hill's team.

I think if Otis believes Ariza to step up to the superstar level he will have to work on his jump shot. He could become the next T-Mac but atleast Ariza will get out of the first round. Dwight needs to work on his free throws. 70-75% is acheivable and for a big man is half decent. Better than Shaq anyway. Jameer will come along. Just needs to work on his passing.

I like everything that's been said, but if I could add:

1. Dwight

- Defense. If he really wanted, he could dominate the game from a defensive standpoint. He should strive to average 3 BPG next season.

- He still needs to work on his positioning in the post, and his footwork.

2. Darko

- He needs to improve his stamina and conditioning if he's going to get more minutes next season.

- Rebounding. He could be a beast on the glass if he wanted.

3. Ariza

- His ball handling isn't that great for a G/F.

- He definitely needs to bulk up quite a bit.

4. Redick

- Range. His shot definitely isn't as consistent as it could be, mostly because he isn't quite used to NBA range. Next year he should be shooting .400+ 3P%.