Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hi-Top

D12: "Guys Got to Guard the Perimeter"

I hope you know that this goes against anything you said previously.

Um, no it doesn't because I believe that those 19 games aren't a sufficient enough time to use certain stats. Which is exactly why myself and anyone else who realistically wants to assess the caliber of this team has to do so from an "eyeballing" sort of spectrum.

• Downvote 2

Wow this is a strange thread. Is this a discussion of whether or not Orlando is a bad defensive team now? I'm going on the assumption that this is what is being debated.

So I would say that with Hedo and Bass starting they probably aren't quite as good as they were before, but that is without using any stats at all. The numbers may not show that, and if so whatever. My point is that their defensive numbers were great last year and they LOST to the Celtics. The year before their defensive numbers were good, but not great, yet they got to the Finals. Yes I know, Garnett wasn't there. THERE YOU GO. Trying to say Orlando is a bad defensive team is foolish. The numbers certainly don't show that; before or after the trade. Trying to discuss the merits of a defense 20 games into their time together is foolish. The numbers are inconclusive. Trying to debate whether a team can compete with elite teams defensively come playoff time when its not even the All-Star break yet is foolish. The numbers don't matter at this point.

Honestly, at this point Tracy MacGrady could suddenly remember how to play basketball and start tearing it up and the Pistons could win the whole thing. Is that likely? Hell, no, but at this point anything is possible.

I know I seem kind of like a troll bashing a whole topic like this, but seriously, what is the point of this thread? If we are talking about numbers, they don't mean anything at this point. If we are 'eye-balling' the D and making observations, those observations will be obsolete by the end of the season. If we are discussing this and just stating opinions and having simple conversation, cool. But reading through that isn't the case. Don't get me wrong, not everyone posting here is guilty of dogmatism on this subject. Those that aren't should just ignore the zealots and discuss the Defense, and how it can be improved or whatever. When we let a few opinionated people chase us into their arena they win. Can't we all just get along?!

• Downvote 1

My point is that their defensive numbers were great last year and they LOST to the Celtics. The year before their defensive numbers were good, but not great, yet they got to the Finals.

Uh...

2 years ago we had the #1 defense in the NBA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow this is a strange thread. Is this a discussion of whether or not Orlando is a bad defensive team now? I'm going on the assumption that this is what is being debated.

So I would say that with Hedo and Bass starting they probably aren't quite as good as they were before, but that is without using any stats at all. The numbers may not show that, and if so whatever. My point is that their defensive numbers were great last year and they LOST to the Celtics. The year before their defensive numbers were good, but not great, yet they got to the Finals. Yes I know, Garnett wasn't there. THERE YOU GO. Trying to say Orlando is a bad defensive team is foolish. The numbers certainly don't show that; before or after the trade. Trying to discuss the merits of a defense 20 games into their time together is foolish. The numbers are inconclusive. Trying to debate whether a team can compete with elite teams defensively come playoff time when its not even the All-Star break yet is foolish. The numbers don't matter at this point.

Honestly, at this point Tracy MacGrady could suddenly remember how to play basketball and start tearing it up and the Pistons could win the whole thing. Is that likely? Hell, no, but at this point anything is possible.

I know I seem kind of like a troll bashing a whole topic like this, but seriously, what is the point of this thread? If we are talking about numbers, they don't mean anything at this point. If we are 'eye-balling' the D and making observations, those observations will be obsolete by the end of the season. If we are discussing this and just stating opinions and having simple conversation, cool. But reading through that isn't the case. Don't get me wrong, not everyone posting here is guilty of dogmatism on this subject. Those that aren't should just ignore the zealots and discuss the Defense, and how it can be improved or whatever. When we let a few opinionated people chase us into their arena they win. Can't we all just get along?!

My BS detector is going nuts at the moment!