Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Stein: Magic interested in T. Murphy if bought out by G.S.

Troy Murphy would fit our system perfectly on the offensive side but not on defense. The issue we are having is that when Dwight goes out of the game, layup drills begin and Troy Murphy does not fix this problem. I would rather have a defensive center to spell Howard for 10 - 15 minutes per.

Troy Murphy would fit our system perfectly on the offensive side but not on defense. The issue we are having is that when Dwight goes out of the game, layup drills begin and Troy Murphy does not fix this problem. I would rather have a defensive center to spell Howard for 10 - 15 minutes per.

I think everybody on this board agrees with you. The problem seems to be finding a good and affordable center who plays defense. Last night, Dwight didn't play in the 4th quarter and it didn't matter because our offense killed them. That may be our only choice.

I think everybody on this board agrees with you. The problem seems to be finding a good and affordable center who plays defense. Last night, Dwight didn't play in the 4th quarter and it didn't matter because our offense killed them. That may be our only choice.

My only fear is that our offense will be set back a little in the playoffs due to the half court style of play. Teams that rely heavily on offense, like us when Dwight is out, don't do well in the playoffs. Our firepower off the bench is fantasic as it is right now with JJ and Anderson (hopefully Gil gets his game together by then), but we could definitely touch up a bit on the D end.

Hopefully Otis finds the diamond in the rough and lands the defensive big. To me, it's scary thought going against Boston with that roster

One thing Murphy does do is rebound well. So with him in you could go up-tempo and try to recycle possession, even though he does let some people by him.

My only fear is that our offense will be set back a little in the playoffs due to the half court style of play. Teams that rely heavily on offense, like us when Dwight is out, don't do well in the playoffs. Our firepower off the bench is fantasic as it is right now with JJ and Anderson (hopefully Gil gets his game together by then), but we could definitely touch up a bit on the D end.

Hopefully Otis finds the diamond in the rough and lands the defensive big. To me, it's scary thought going against Boston with that roster

I agree! I am worried about the Celtics (and if we make it all the way, the lakers (spurs or mavs))

Its fine now, when Dwight is matching up with midgets. But once we play the Celtics who have plenty of large centers we have a problem. Troy Murphy is not the answer for that. The problem is that there is nothing out there that fits our need... I wish we signed Dampier.... GULP!

• Upvote 1

I agree! I am worried about the Celtics (and if we make it all the way, the lakers (spurs or mavs))

Its fine now, when Dwight is matching up with midgets. But once we play the Celtics who have plenty of large centers we have a problem. Troy Murphy is not the answer for that. The problem is that there is nothing out there that fits our need... I wish we signed Dampier.... GULP!

+1

I find it very hard to believe we'll make it to the Finals without a solid backup C. If next year's the year, hopefully we resign J Rich and spend the MLE on a backup C. Just read that Nene may use his ETO and become a FA. That would be amazing

Some are worried about Murphy's Defense but imo if we get him then Stan will mold him into a solid 5-12 mpg Defensive player. I mean it's Stan's system after all.

Why do people continue to talk about being worried about the Celtics bigs? None of them can score, if Dwight goes into foul trouble then the team would have to play more uptempo. Defensively, as long as KG isn't killing our PFs like he killed Jamison against the Cavs last year, I don't see any problems (in terms of "lack of bigs").

For the Magic to beat the Celtics, it'll take a collective effort on the defensive end and on rotations, as well as execution on offense, not a "big" to matchup with the Celtics' offensively-challenged centers.

• Upvote 1

Why do people continue to talk about being worried about the Celtics bigs? None of them can score, if Dwight goes into foul trouble then the team would have to play more uptempo. Defensively, as long as KG isn't killing our PFs like he killed Jamison against the Cavs last year, I don't see any problems (in terms of "lack of bigs").

For the Magic to beat the Celtics, it'll take a collective effort on the defensive end and on rotations, as well as execution on offense, not a "big" to matchup with the Celtics' offensively-challenged centers.

But it's very difficult to play uptempo in a half court offense. If we can get out and running to wear them down, I'd be thrilled and confident. However, with our current roster we become one dimensional with out Dwight which scares me. If we go with what we have, we will desperately need to dictate the pace

Amen. Everyone likes to talk about all the bigs the Celtics have, but the reason we lost to them in the ECF is because of how badly guys like Shard, VC, and Barnes were outplayed.

The Celtic bigs aren't the problem offensively. They are a problem defensively.

Compared to the Magic, they simply have more rim protection. We can talk about perfect rotations all day, but nothing changes the fact that simply drawing Howard from the basket (or getting him in foul trouble via Shaq) is going to be the Magic's Achilles heel and the Celtics are probably the best team in doing that.

If the Magic can't get more rim protection outside of one guy, of course KG or any other power forward who can finish a layup is going to kill them. They're freaking 7 feet. Perfect rotations aren't always going to stop that.

I really do not think Bass and Anderson are going to defend their way to a championship. In a 7 game series, the Celtics are simply going to get easier looks and play better defense with more rim protection.

And then you have the Lakers.. maybe they can do it once, btu they can't do it twice.