Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

What more do you want from J. Nelson ? (commentary)

So apparently asking Jameer to play harder on defense and move his feet is too much to ask for (ie first three quarters against CP3).

So apparently asking Jameer to push the pace at least as hard as Gilbert Arenas on two shaky knees, not to mention J-Will, is too much to ask for.

Finally, apparently asking Jameer to get into the paint and make something happen at least half as often as he did the last time he was this healthy, before he tore his labrum, is too much to ask for.

I didn't want him traded, not even convinced he needs to be benched, but just wanted him to step up and put his chip back on his shoulder, even if he's not facing Derrick Rose.

But now I have the memo.

Anyway, the biggest problem by far with this team is first quarters. That's now *6* bad first quarters in a row. So there either needs to be a change in the Starting Unit (Anderson over Bass until Bass gets healthy, I say), or this team needs a serious kick in the arse... and that's from Dwight on down. You heard me.

• Upvote 6

For a minute I had a flashback to the old Nelson / Arroyo battles that were so intolerable a few years ago on this board. Same arguments, but all of them are in English this time and Arenas hasn 't established a fan base yet. .

Jameer is a dribble first point guard, who will never be the assist guy many of us want. I have often been astonished at how he can dribble throught the crowded paint and create. Of course, if he messes up it is collossal, and borders on pathetic to those watching. But when he gets it right it is pretty amazing. But I would rather see Howard passing out of the paint, instead of Jameer.

I think the pace of halfcourt play is usually too slow when Jameer is in his dribble first mode. Especially when he is dribbling around and no one is moving or setting screens to get anyone else open. Often it ends up with an ill-advised pass or shot. And when Jammer's shot is not falling he can't compensate by turning into an assist guy or shut-down defender.

I still have a bit of a grudge against Jameer for coming back as the starter for the Finals. We did fine without him getting there, and who knows how we would have done in the Finals if Rafer had started with Jameer as a backup. It seemed a little selfish of him back then, and I sense some of that in what is happening now.

All that said, Jameer is the best we have, and sometimes we will have to live with what he produces. But he better watch his back, because in Arenas we have a real contender for the position.

Rafer did start in the finals. Jameer backed him up. Rafer really only played 3-4 mpg less in the finals than he did throughout the regular season and playoffs.

So apparently asking Jameer to play harder on defense and move his feet is too much to ask for (ie first three quarters against CP3).

So apparently asking Jameer to push the pace at least as hard as Gilbert Arenas on two shaky knees, not to mention J-Will, is too much to ask for.

Finally, apparently asking Jameer to get into the paint and make something happen at least half as often as he did the last time he was this healthy, before he tore his labrum, is too much to ask for.

I didn't want him traded, not even convinced he needs to be benched, but just wanted him to step up and put his chip back on his shoulder, even if he's not facing Derrick Rose.

+1

But now I have the memo.

Anyway, the biggest problem by far with this team is first quarters. That's now *6* bad first quarters in a row. So there either needs to be a change in the Starting Unit (Anderson over Bass until Bass gets healthy, I say), or this team needs a serious kick in the arse... and that's from Dwight on down. You heard me.

1st Qtr struggles appear obvious to me. Dwight carries this team defensively and he looks like he's attempting to pace himself & avoid foul trouble defensively early (still seems to find it on the offensive end). Hedo coasts early in games, presumably saving himself for the Hedo time. Altering the lineup around these two might produce short term variances, but the bottom line is the team will go as they go long term, and right now they are pacing themselves early. With Dwight logging huge minutes and Hedo falling back into a comfort zone, I don't see this changing a lot.

Better play.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but many of us aren't upset that he isn't Rose, Rondo, Nash, etc. We're upset that he hasn't been Jameer Nelson. At least, he hasn't played as well as Jameer Nelson sometimes plays, and it's disconcerting that it happened against great point guards.

It seems like he has faded when confronted with good competition lately. Some people rise to the challenge, some are crushed by it, and this week he was crushed.

He had horrible games when we would have won, had he had a good game (not great, just good). Obviously opinions as to why things went so badly for him vary, but whatever is it, he needs to fix it.

Otherwise we'll be having this same discussion in May.

• Upvote 1

From a Magic Blogger named Brett Roberts of Rant Sports :

Start Agent Zero or Mighty Mouse?

At this point we’ve seen a bit of what Gilbert Arenas is capable of. Would he play better if inserted into the starting lineup?

Jameer Nelson has an ability to create his own shot, but with Hedo coming back his role as a playmaker has become secondary. Might a switch the the second unit benefit the diminutive Magic point guard? I think it could. Besides the obvious lift it would give to the second unit, it is more about who closes games than who starts them, and if he was best to finish the game, that could still be done.

Gilbert Arenas is a great scorer, but I don’t think he needs to be the primary playmaker; that’s why we have Hedo. Splitting up the duties of primary playmaker between Hedo and Jameer is redundant, but Arenas could benefit from Hedo Turkoglu creating shots for him. With his explosiveness probably a thing of the past, Arenas would benefit from spotting up or even running a 1-3 pick and pop with Hedo on occasion. It would be an interesting interplay between two players that both have a great mid range game. Turkoglu and Arenas are also both capable of rolling out for a corner three. If the other drew both defenders, they would each get opportunities to hit the most efficient shot in basketball, that corner three.

Gilbert Arenas is not necessarily better than Jameer. That’s not why I am suggesting this. It’s just about maximizing each player’s potential and I think this would benefit both players significantly. If it didn’t work out, so what? A couple of rough regular season games would be better than wondering the rest of the season what the switch could have done, and it would mean that Stan Van Gundy might not consider doing such a switch when it counts most – in the NBA Playoffs.

I have always suggested this throughout the Nelson years here.....and it seems even more appropriate now that Hedo is back (as the author suggests)

Thoughts ?

http://www.magicsideline.com/2011/01/start-agent-zero-or-mighty-mouse/

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but many of us aren't upset that he isn't Rose, Rondo, Nash, etc. We're upset that he hasn't been Jameer Nelson.

+100. We dont need to bench him. We just need him to stop sucking.

From a Magic Blogger named Brett Roberts of Rant Sports :

I have always suggested this throughout the Nelson years here.....and it seems even more appropriate now that Hedo is back (as the author suggests)

Thoughts ?

http://www.magicsideline.com/2011/01/start-agent-zero-or-mighty-mouse/

Agreed. Time to give Arenas a shot ... He controls the flow better and we need a boost to start the games. We've been winning, but winning playing catch-up basketball. Don't get me wrong. This new Magic is awesome to watch, even with the two recent losses (which we would have won if NOT for poor poor poor officiating!!!!) but at least this team ain't giving up on ya!

With you, Junkie. Would love to see Arenas start ...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agreed. Time to give Arenas a shot ... He controls the flow better and we need a boost to start the games.

With you, Junkie. Would love to see Arenas start ...

That's not what the blog says. It's calling to move Nelson to the bench, and use Hedo as the primary ball handler, with Arenas playing off the ball, and letting the play making abilities be shared between Hedo to start and Jameer off the bench, our two best play makers.

until gil plays with more purpose and intensity i am not ready for him to start. i also do not like jj and nelson together. he will not pass him the ball. so until gil stars to be a smarter player he is better off with jj.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tough loss vs. Boston.

What do we need from Jameer? Start the game with intensity. Let's start with that!

Not sure if you watched the game, but the team actually started off the quarter having Hedo make plays more than Jameer. Not sure if it was Stan's way to change things up but it didn't work. As Kitno mentioned, it has a lot more to do with how Dwight has been a bit more tentative to start games and also Bass/Hedo being awful defensively.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2