Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

Dwight Howard had previously been warned about time at free throw line

I was completely livid when I saw this call during today's Celtics-Magic game. Being a pretty big basketball fan for 20+ yrs, I can't recall ever seeing the 10 sec. free throw call penalty being inforced in any game. I still think it's completely bogus that after not calling this all season, they waited until a low scoring premier game like this to pull this crap out.

That said, maybe Dwight can use this to his advantage to improve his free throw shooting. I've always felt that yes, he does take too long at the line and looks more out of rhythm the longer he takes. If in practice he works on getting the free throw shot off in 5-6 seconds, perhaps he'll be more fluid and an increase in percentage will result. He's said repeatedly that he thinks too much when he's at the line. Speeding his shots up couldn't hurt, since he's shooting the worst percentage in his career so far this year (56.1%).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5955838

"I can see if I was shooting 98 percent from the line," Howard said of being targeted by the league for his free-throw tardiness. "But I'm not. It's not stopping the game flow. It's a free throw. So the clock is stopped, period. I'm going to continue to do it."

"What that does is force me to shoot it the wrong way," Howard said. "I might speed up a little bit, but I'm going to take my time. I have to remain patient and not get frustrated."

Looks like it's settled then. . .

"I can see if I was shooting 98 percent from the line," Howard said of being targeted by the league for his free-throw tardiness. "But I'm not. It's not stopping the game flow. It's a free throw. So the clock is stopped, period. I'm going to continue to do it."

Wow, good read and thanks for posting it, I have been a fan for a very long time as well, but was not aware of that rule or the warnings! This is an education and I tthink it actually helped Dwights ft's in the end! Good find, good post!!

Says who?

anyone with a brain that functions.

Officials: Hey Dwight, we're going to slap you with a violation each time you exceed the 10 second mark with your FT routine which means you're going to lose the chance to obtain free points at the stripe, ok?

Dwight: I do what I want

naw, I'm way off base, that's probably a genius mindset to have.

Before today, I didn't even know a 10 second free throw violation was possible. I knew about the 8 second violation, 5 second violation, 24 second violation, but not 10 second.