Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Despite all the complaining and silly expectations

Gee those prices sound pretty reasonable. The problem is, those are LAST YEAR'S PRICES. The beer that was $5.75 last year is $7.50 this year. I haven't had a soft drink this year, but it's over $4 (4.50 I think) -- one of the smaller changes. Hot dog is $6.

Really? Because the big date at the top of the page reads November 2010.

Gee those prices sound pretty reasonable. The problem is, those are LAST YEAR'S PRICES. The beer that was $5.75 last year is $7.50 this year. I haven't had a soft drink this year, but it's over $4 (4.50 I think) -- one of the smaller changes. Hot dog is $6.

You sure? The % increase of the ticket price is the largest in the league (which makes sense) and the % increase of the Fan Cost Index, which includes refreshments, is also the largest.

You sure? The % increase of the ticket price is the largest in the league (which makes sense) and the % increase of the Fan Cost Index, which includes refreshments, is also the largest.

Good point, but for sure this is screwed up. One has to question the fan cost index data when it says you pay $5 for a program.

What I do know is that I bought the $5.75 draft beer every regular season game last year, and that beer is $7.50 now. And I just happen to have a "souvenier" glass from last year, just measured it's capacity, and it was the 16 oz beer (the size given in the table). There is a small beer, although I have never seen anyone with one, and that may now be $5.75, but it definitely isn't the 16 oz size. A hot dog that was $4 last year is $6 now. There is a small soda, and that may be $3.50, but it is not 16 oz. It's probably 8 oz.

In other words, this "data" is a work of fiction.

Good point, but for sure this is screwed up. One has to question the fan cost index data when it says you pay $5 for a program.

What I do know is that I bought the $5.75 draft beer every regular season game last year, and that beer is $7.50 now. And I just happen to have a "souvenier" glass from last year, just measured it's capacity, and it was the 16 oz beer (the size given in the table). There is a small beer, although I have never seen anyone with one, and that may now be $5.75, but it definitely isn't the 16 oz size. A hot dog that was $4 last year is $6 now. There is a small soda, and that may be $3.50, but it is not 16 oz. It's probably 8 oz.

In other words, this "data" is a work of fiction.

From the OS:

A small draft beer was 12 ounces and sold for $3.75 last year, or about 31 cents per ounce. Now a small beer is 16 ounces and costs $5.25, about 33 cents per ounce.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/amway-center/os-arena-concession-prices-20101119,0,512554.story

So this guy is saying the 16 oz beer used to be large and now is small and has gone down in price. That seems as strange as the comments about the turkey sandwich. The turkey sandwich at the Carvery at the old area was huge and very good for turkey. It came with a giant pickle, and there were a variety of sauces to put on it. I remember it as $7, but I might be wrong. The Carvery also had the single best item at the arena, the $12 filet mignon sandwich. I would get it two or three times a year as a special treat. I think it's $17.50 this year, but I can't tell. The Carvery has moved to the Club level and is not available to us peons. I've tried to read the menu from the escalator, but it's hard to see.

I have looked at this year's turkey sandwich. It doesn't look as good or as large. A spoonful each of cranberry sauce and coleslaw doesn't add value IMO.

A filet mignon sandwich sounds phenominal.

It really was. It has to be phenomenal for a tightwad like me to pay $12 for a sandwich. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

It really was. It has to be phenomenal for a tightwad like me to pay $12 for a sandwich. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

That's probably less than what you would pay at a restaurant...for just the meat. Consider the bread complimentary.