Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

ESPN: LeBron James shares hateful tweets

I agree. This is and a few other words should never be said by anyone. If it was possible, this word would be wiped from the memory of everyone. You get no respect from me if you say it.

Nothing wrong with words, the real problem is that you have bigots who use it to hurt other people. You could get rid of the word altogether but it wouldn't make those people any less racist and it would just give them a new word to use.

You can change words all you want but you would still not change these people's intentions...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't see what the problem is yet. He retweets what he saw, news people jump on it, and we're upset at LeBron? Why?

Maybe he is looking for sympathy.. but.. it's his twitter. That would only work if he specifically asked for this to be reported.

I think we're taking this Lebron hate too far.

I don't see what the problem is yet. He retweets what he saw, news people jump on it, and we're upset at LeBron? Why?

Maybe he is looking for sympathy.. but.. it's his twitter. That would only work if he specifically asked for this to be reported.

I think we're taking this Lebron hate too far.

The problem is, why even acknowledge the message to begin with? Does he think he is the first black athlete to be on the receiving end of that particular racial slur? Does he think that people care that a professional athlete making an ungodly amount of money has to suffer the hate filled comments of a small minority of people for any reason what so ever? Is he so egotistical that he thinks he should be above the issues and indignities that face everyone else in their day to day life?

It's not like he is calling attention to this as a problem that all black athletes are confronted with, taking up the mantel to champion the cause, it's purely selfish, which, if you haven't noticed seems to be Pee Wee's secret word for this episode.

• Upvote 1

The problem is, why even acknowledge the message to begin with? Does he think he is the first black athlete to be on the receiving end of that particular racial slur? Does he think that people care that a professional athlete making an ungodly amount of money has to suffer the hate filled comments of a small minority of people for any reason what so ever? Is he so egotistical that he thinks he should be above the issues and indignities that face everyone else in their day to day life?

It's not like he is calling attention to this as a problem that all black athletes are confronted with, taking up the mantel to champion the cause, it's purely selfish, which, if you haven't noticed seems to be Pee Wee's secret word for this episode.

boosh

To answer your first question, why not? There are many possibilities that could be going on in his head. Maybe it's a reference to the racist question. Maybe it's just something to throw out there. I'd definitely agree that he's being whiny and egotistical if he did this in an interview or something like that, but on a twitter page I find that pretty normal.

It's the other questions I can't seem to get in my mind by simply looking at a tweet. What if Howard retweeted things like "You have no post game!" Would we be this upset with him? Would we think of it as him being selfish and egotistical thinking he's the only person that exists? Probably not since we'd give him more leeway to do things like this.

I'm just not sure how one could gather all of that. Of course we may not care, but I'm sure his fans would. The tweet wasn't sent to the world or in a fashion where he seems like he's emoing. It just sounds like a general awareness to his fans. It sounds like a normal thing a lot of famous people do on their twitters: retweet what they find stupid.

edit: I just noticed he also spoke as 'we' and not 'I' so he wasn't being selfish at least.

To answer your first question, why not? There are many possibilities that could be going on in his head. Maybe it's a reference to the racist question. Maybe it's just something to throw out there. I'd definitely agree that he's being whiny and egotistical if he did this in an interview or something like that, but on a twitter page I find that pretty normal.

It's the other questions I can't seem to get in my mind by simply looking at a tweet. What if Howard retweeted things like "You have no post game!" Would we be this upset with him? Would we think of it as him being selfish and egotistical thinking he's the only person that exists? Probably not since we'd give him more leeway to do things like this.

I'm just not sure how one could gather all of that. Of course we may not care, but I'm sure his fans would. The tweet wasn't sent to the world or in a fashion where he seems like he's emoing. It just sounds like a general awareness to his fans. It sounds like a normal thing a lot of famous people do on their twitters: retweet what they find stupid.

edit: I just noticed he also spoke as 'we' and not 'I' so he wasn't being selfish at least.

Why not? How about, if it's not done in a context that I mentioned earlier, where you specifically say that you are bringing this to light to champion a cause, then it's nothing but immature, self serving pettiness. It would be like you reposting derogatory things random, anonymous people said about you on a message board forum, knowing full well that national news outlets would write about it and draw attention to you and the words that the anonymous posters wrote about you.

Now, if it was something he was sharing privately with friends, and it was leaked, that's another story, but he put it out there on Twitter, in the public eye. If Dwight did the same thing, my message would be the same. Big deal. Everyone deals with that on some level in their daily life, what makes you so special that you think you deserve extra attention because someone called you something you found offensive?

"I just want you guys to see it also," James said after the Heat's practice Wednesday afternoon. "To see what type of words that are said toward me and towards us as professional athletes. Everybody thinks it is a bed of roses and it's not."

Really? You have to deal with a small group of people saying negative things about you? Seriously? Cry me a ******* river. Someone said some negative and racist things toward another person with the intent of being offensive. I'm shocked. Let's start an inquiry! Let's all talk about LeBron some more and feel bad for him. Awww, poor LeBron, his life is so tough. It's not all a bed of roses. Some people said some mean things to him.

I think there is a serious disconnect between reality, and his perception, and it's mostly generated from the way he has been treated since high school, a healthy dose of ignorance of what the real world holds for the average sports fan, let alone average person in general, and topped off with a massive dose of arrogance.

• Upvote 2

Completely agree with the majority here. Just because hes drawing attention to the words of a few random people doesnt make him a victim. Like he actually cares what one or two people in the world say about him. I dont care at all what the majority of people say about me, why should we acknowledge him as a victim just because hes highlighted it? Sure the people were wrong to say that to him, and it would be different if you had a whole crowd verbally abusing him constantly, but inviting people to critisize him then saying "oh look what some people said about me!", just why?

Also, on a slightly different note, the person that mentionned that "white" people shouldnt use that word, is missing the point entirely. The emphasis shouldnt be on what race the person who used it is, but on the fact that people use it at all. If people who are offended by it, then the emphasis should be on everyone not using it. As a white male myself, i find it very counter productive when the word is used by anyone, particularly a certain group of people that tend to refer to their mates with the word. And if you dont get what i mean, watch coach carter. What a film!

Completely agree with the majority here. Just because hes drawing attention to the words of a few random people doesnt make him a victim. Like he actually cares what one or two people in the world say about him. I dont care at all what the majority of people say about me, why should we acknowledge him as a victim just because hes highlighted it? Sure the people were wrong to say that to him, and it would be different if you had a whole crowd verbally abusing him constantly, but inviting people to critisize him then saying "oh look what some people said about me!", just why?

Also, on a slightly different note, the person that mentionned that "white" people shouldnt use that word, is missing the point entirely. The emphasis shouldnt be on what race the person who used it is, but on the fact that people use it at all. If people who are offended by it, then the emphasis should be on everyone not using it. As a white male myself, i find it very counter productive when the word is used by anyone, particularly a certain group of people that tend to refer to their mates with the word. And if you dont get what i mean, watch coach carter. What a film!

See what I said below, and note I said no one needs to use it period. This was actually not based on a stand-up skit, but a real life situation in one of my wife's grad school classes. Everyone in that class is white including the professor. One of the students in the class asked if a patient (black or not) used the word in a counseling session, if it was OK to then use it to make the other person feel more comfortable. They actually had a 30 min discussion about whether or not it was OK to use the word in any context. My wife, being married to a black man, already knew the answer to that question though.

No one deserves to have the n-word thrown at them, and those that throw it are the real ignorant ones. Lebron is a complete douche, but not even he deserves that.

And for future reference, someone asked if there's any situation in which it's acceptable for white people to use the n-word, and the answer is NO. Really I don't think anyone of any color should use it. Again, those that do only prove their own ignorance. All the words in the English language, and that's the best they could come up with?

See what I said below, and note I said no one needs to use it period. This was actually not based on a stand-up skit, but a real life situation in one of my wife's grad school classes. Everyone in that class is white including the professor. One of the students in the class asked if a patient (black or not) used the word in a counseling session, if it was OK to then use it to make the other person feel more comfortable. They actually had a 30 min discussion about whether or not it was OK to use the word in any context. My wife, being married to a black man, already knew the answer to that question though.

Fair play. I didnt read the whole comment previously, so I didnt see the bit afterwards. It just winds me up alot when those situations occur where its racist for white people to use it, but if its a black person, then apparently its not offensive or racist. Shouldnt be used regardless of the situation.

Nothing wrong with words, the real problem is that you have bigots who use it to hurt other people. You could get rid of the word altogether but it wouldn't make those people any less racist and it would just give them a new word to use.

You can change words all you want but you would still not change these people's intentions...

Of course theres nothing wrong with the word. There everything wrong with the "meaning behind the word". If that word meant something completely different, it wouldn't be so derogative.

I've had the N word thrown at me by Chris Curran in the chat room, youtube responses to my comments, trolls from the justin.tv chat boxes. Doesn't phase me anymore. Big whoop Lebron. Move on and stop whining.