Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

Cannabis, Marijuana and the Great Debate of Legalization

THIS IS TO CREATE AN OPEN FORUM ON A POPULAR ISSUE WITH THE WAR ON DRUGS TODAY. Information has been hidden from the public, and I believe this is something we should discuss.

Just posting some VALID and TRUTHFUL information here from credible sources.

AUNNUAL CAUSES OF DEATH IN THE UNITED STATES

Source: Drug War Facts

Secondary Source: WebMD

Doesn't Marijuana cause brain damage? (additional WebMD Link)

The reason why you ask this is because you probably heard or read somewhere that marijuana damages brain cells, or makes you stupid. These claims are untrue. The first one -- marijuana kills brain cells -- is based on research done during the second Reefer Madness Movement. A study attempted to show that marijuana smoking damaged brain structures in monkeys. However, the study was poorly performed and it was severely criticized by a medical review board. Studies done afterwards failed to show any brain damage, in fact a very recent study on Rhesus monkeys used technology so sensitive that scientists could actually see the effect of learning on brain cells, and it found no damage.

But this was Reefer Madness II, and the prohibitionists were looking around for anything they could find to keep the marijuana legalization movement in check, so this study was widely used in anti-marijuana propaganda. It was recanted later.

(To this day, the radical anti-drug groups, like P.R.I.D.E. and Dr. Gabriel Nahas, still use it -- In fact, America's most popular drug education program, Drug Abuse Resistance Education, claims that marijuana "can impair memory perception & judgement by destroying brain cells.'' When police and teachers read this and believe it, our job gets really tough, since it takes a long time to explain to children how Ms. Jones and Officer Bob were wrong.)

The truth is, no study has ever demonstrated cellular damage, stupidity, mental impairment, or insanity brought on specifically by marijuana use -- even heavy marijuana use. This is not to say that it cannot be abused, however.

Marijuana Linked To Lung Cancer? False.

People who smoke marijuana do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer, new research suggests. While a clear increase in cancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users.

Source: WebMD

After reading this information...are you for or against the legalization of marijuana? Medical or for personal use? I'm looking for some good discussion, please shy away from going off-topic.

shooter' date='20 August 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1282327543' post='569057']

I can always count on you guys for some solid discussion points B)

av-1622.jpg

it's all over campuses. If legalized it could be regulated and not lined with any other drug. Reduce prison overcrowding.

Downside- it would hurt the overall productivity of the workforce.

I was going to say it would probably increase traffic accidents but after thinking about it I don't think it would increase all that much.

no politician wants to be known as the guy who legalized weed though. Unintended consequences and all.

• Upvote 1

I was going to say it would probably increase traffic accidents but after thinking about it I don't think it would increase all that much.

Highly doubt it. In fact, I highly doubt the amount of people that would smoke weed would change drastically. People who want to smoke, will smoke. Obviously, if made legal, it would be much more accessible, but I find it hard to believe that a person who never smoked only because it wasn't allowed *by law* would then break the DUI law.

• Upvote 1

Highly doubt it. In fact, I highly doubt the amount of people that would smoke weed would change drastically. People who want to smoke, will smoke. Obviously, if made legal, it would be much more accessible, but I find it hard to believe that a person who never smoked only because it wasn't allowed *by law* would then break the DUI law.

did you read what i wrote?

• Downvote 2

shooter' date='20 August 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1282324306' post='569040']

THIS IS TO CREATE AN OPEN FORUM ON A POPULAR ISSUE WITH THE WAR ON DRUGS TODAY. Information has been hidden from the public, and I believe this is something we should discuss.

Where is this "hidden" information?