Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

Udonis Haslem Riding with Mary Jane

If your claim is that one should make drugs legal with the hope that it would stop some of the black market crimes, then you would be mistaken.

Illegal drugs are banned because of their addictive qualities. Making cocaine or any other drug legal doesn't stop someone from getting addicted once they take it, and it will still be abused. Crimes might go up at a higher rate, because the law that was a deterrent to some because of its consequences, will probably want to experiment knowing that they won't have consequences and we'll have many more addicts than we do now. Now, why would it cause more crimes? Because when one is addicted, and the government regulate the amount one can use, do you believe that it would then stop them from getting more by any means necessary? Does the law stop someone how is high from driving in a car and killing someone? Or being out of their minds and committing crimes and letting go of inhibitions that would be detrimental to ones health? We know the drugs do that now, what makes us think that the fact that it is now legal means crimes would stop?

We know the cause and effect of these drugs, to say that legalizing them would make it somehow better is to throw away all that we have learned through research, experience and effects of the drugs.

One of the most important things we have to realize is that when someone get addicted to these types of drugs and alcohol, many (maybe not all but many) are trying to find a form of escape so they don't have to deal with their problems--which is unhealthy anyways and it only adds to the problem. Then it becomes a hassle-"you do drugs to get away from your problems, you now have more problems which include the drug and you don't want to deal with it, so you continue doing more drugs which are gateways to harder drugs."

As for alcohol, I think we have to understand the difference between alcohol and drugs in perspective of the law. Alcohol was once legal before the Prohibition, and once that happened, many people became angry and started breaking the law just to get the beverage and in their minds, their rights were taking away. Alcohol has a history of being here as long as humans have been. Drugs on the other hand were already illegal to begin with (now I don't know all of the drug history) but I know before it became mainstream, laws were in place to make the distribution and consumption of the drug illegal. If you think about it, by law, we never had the right to take many illegal substances, as for alcohol, a right for them was taken away.

Well looking at what is out there for the "criminal elements" to make their money off of like, Crack, Meth, Cocaine, Heroin, Speed, Exctasy, Perscription drugs, Marijauna, hash, LSD, PCP, Acid...etc...

Out of all of those, Marijuana is the prefered choice of selling... why? Because you grow it and then harvest it in the same fashion you would harvest Oregano or Parsley....

The other drugs, take more work, more time, more knowldge, more money... and if your caught... most of the time anything other than Marijuana, the sentence is longer....

So we give "criminals" an option of selling the easiest, most consumed product out of their list of possibilities... which in return can yield more profits than the harder stuff... taking into the account of the process behind the drugs...

The idea of legalizing Marijauna is a mechanism to force "criminals" to rethink their strategy, since legalizing it would take away from their list of options.... which means no one would pay... i dont know... $120 for a 1/4 of good.. since there would be a heavy supply, driving down the price....

Not only that... but look at the long term benefits of how much money can be made...

If each state was allowed to control, monitor, and sell Marijauna products... they would make a huge amount of money which would eleminate their dependence on the Federal Government...

There have been economic studies done on California, where if they taxed $50 for every ounce they sell.... they could make a "State Profit" of 1.4 BILLION DOLLARS

Imagine how many States could benefit from half that amount... places like SC would "LOVE" to have 600 Million come in annually....

And what about the water fall effect it could potentiall have..... If every State is able to make their budge or even have a surplus, everyone would benefit it... their would be more money for Schools, and other Programs we as America are seriously lacking...

Also look at how many peoepl are detained for carrying small amounts of Marijauna... I "All of us" are paying for them to sit in a 4X4 room doing nothing all day except too, crap, eat and sleep.... to me that sounds like a retirement plan.

Money Earned, Money Saved, and Making it harder for the criminals to make an easy profit....

WIN WIN WIN

So what is the problem... Religion...

The fact that you should not put anything harmful in your body, which alot of religions believe is the temple....

But then again we sell Mcdonalds, Steroid induced Meat, Tainted Poltry, Corn Syrup in every product and so forth....

Its Moronic.

The Sun will die... Taking the Earth and whatever remains on it along for the ride of death... We sit here and argue over petty things that will no longer exist after the Sun goes boom....

We are so tunnel vision as a civilization that its rediculous.....

We should be focusing on how to get off this "Death Trap" we call Earth, if "WE" really want "Humanity" to live on.....

Sorry to go on a tangent...

But the Legalization of weed has too many benefits.... I mean we are so quick to go to War with no valid evidence of WMD's... but we are hesitant to move on the things that can actually benefit society.

• Upvote 3

If your claim is that one should make drugs legal with the hope that it would stop some of the black market crimes, then you would be mistaken.

Illegal drugs are banned because of their addictive qualities. Making cocaine or any other drug legal doesn't stop someone from getting addicted once they take it, and it will still be abused. Crimes might go up at a higher rate, because the law that was a deterrent to some because of its consequences, will probably want to experiment knowing that they won't have consequences and we'll have many more addicts than we do now. Now, why would it cause more crimes? Because when one is addicted, and the government regulate the amount one can use, do you believe that it would then stop them from getting more by any means necessary? Does the law stop someone how is high from driving in a car and killing someone? Or being out of their minds and committing crimes and letting go of inhibitions that would be detrimental to ones health? We know the drugs do that now, what makes us think that the fact that it is now legal means crimes would stop?

We know the cause and effect of these drugs, to say that legalizing them would make it somehow better is to throw away all that we have learned through research, experience and effects of the drugs.

One of the most important things we have to realize is that when someone get addicted to these types of drugs and alcohol, many (maybe not all but many) are trying to find a form of escape so they don't have to deal with their problems--which is unhealthy anyways and it only adds to the problem. Then it becomes a hassle-"you do drugs to get away from your problems, you now have more problems which include the drug and you don't want to deal with it, so you continue doing more drugs which are gateways to harder drugs."

As for alcohol, I think we have to understand the difference between alcohol and drugs in perspective of the law. Alcohol was once legal before the Prohibition, and once that happened, many people became angry and started breaking the law just to get the beverage and in their minds, their rights were taking away. Alcohol has a history of being here as long as humans have been. Drugs on the other hand were already illegal to begin with (now I don't know all of the drug history) but I know before it became mainstream, laws were in place to make the distribution and consumption of the drug illegal. If you think about it, by law, we never had the right to take many illegal substances, as for alcohol, a right for them was taken away.

If drugs are illegal because of their potential for addiction, why does that not apply to alcohol as well?

Also, the notion that all these drugs have always been illegal is just false. Cannabis has been used for thousands of years and wasn't illegal in our country or most of the rest of the world until the 20th century. I believe that had something to do with the United Nations, they made it part of the conditions to join or something. I could be wrong about that.

All these reasons for drugs to be illegal are stupid anyway, even if they weren't filled with misconceptions. Until I cause some kind of harm to another person, I should have the right to do whatever the hell I want. With no exceptions.

Well looking at what is out there for the "criminal elements" to make their money off of like, Crack, Meth, Cocaine, Heroin, Speed, Exctasy, Perscription drugs, Marijauna, hash, LSD, PCP, Acid...etc...

Out of all of those, Marijuana is the prefered choice of selling... why? Because you grow it and then harvest it in the same fashion you would harvest Oregano or Parsley....

The other drugs, take more work, more time, more knowldge, more money... and if your caught... most of the time anything other than Marijuana, the sentence is longer....

So we give "criminals" an option of selling the easiest, most consumed product out of their list of possibilities... which in return can yield more profits than the harder stuff... taking into the account of the process behind the drugs...

The idea of legalizing Marijauna is a mechanism to force "criminals" to rethink their strategy, since legalizing it would take away from their list of options.... which means no one would pay... i dont know... $120 for a 1/4 of good.. since there would be a heavy supply, driving down the price....

Not only that... but look at the long term benefits of how much money can be made...

If each state was allowed to control, monitor, and sell Marijauna products... they would make a huge amount of money which would eleminate their dependence on the Federal Government...

There have been economic studies done on California, where if they taxed $50 for every ounce they sell.... they could make a "State Profit" of 1.4 BILLION DOLLARS

Imagine how many States could benefit from half that amount... places like SC would "LOVE" to have 600 Million come in annually....

And what about the water fall effect it could potentiall have..... If every State is able to make their budge or even have a surplus, everyone would benefit it... their would be more money for Schools, and other Programs we as America are seriously lacking...

Also look at how many peoepl are detained for carrying small amounts of Marijauna... I "All of us" are paying for them to sit in a 4X4 room doing nothing all day except too, crap, eat and sleep.... to me that sounds like a retirement plan.

Money Earned, Money Saved, and Making it harder for the criminals to make an easy profit....

WIN WIN WIN

The fact that you should not put anything harmful in your body, which alot of religions believe is the temple....

But then again we sell Mcdonalds, Steroid induced Meat, Tainted Poltry, Corn Syrup in every product and so forth....

Its Moronic.

The Sun will die... Taking the Earth and whatever remains on it along for the ride of death... We sit here and argue over petty things that will no longer exist after the Sun goes boom....

We are so tunnel vision as a civilization that its rediculous.....

We should be focusing on how to get off this "Death Trap" we call Earth, if "WE" really want "Humanity" to live on.....

Sorry to go on a tangent...

But the Legalization of weed has too many benefits.... I mean we are so quick to go to War with no valid evidence of WMD's... but we are hesitant to move on the things that can actually benefit society.

Excellent.

Its Moronic.

Riiiigh religion is the problem. Lets not blame the addition of the laws because of the harmful effects that these drugs have or the the fact that many of these drugs are gateway to other drugs. Lets forget all the cause and effect that these drugs have shown and how deterimental it has been to society. Lets go around and blame religion for proclaiming that people should not harm their bodies. An lets blame religion for what the fast food industries have done, because it's obviously the religious propaganda that's forcing all this.

That would be true if he was talking about legalizing heroin and crystal meth. He's not. He's talking about legalizing marajuana which is the least addictive drug ever. Tobacco, alcohol, and prescription drugs have 10 times the addictive properties of marajuana.

When was the last time you read a story about someone robbing a store while high on marajuana?

You might not have read it in the newspapers, but believe me, I've been around people in my old neighborhood who have, and yet that included robbing a store when they were high.

You might not have read it in the newspapers, but believe me, I've been around people in my old neighborhood who have, and yet that included robbing a store when they were high.

Yes, but effects of marijuana, in no way whatsoever, link to violent behavior. If someone robs a store completely sober, it's because they were a thief, but if someone robs a story while high, it's because he's a junkie? Makes no sense.

It's almost as bad as when the media tries to pinpoint the cause of a school shooting or assassination on video games.

If drugs are illegal because of their potential for addiction, why does that not apply to alcohol as well?

Because alcohol is looked upon as a right in this country. It's one of those things that have always been there. For the most part, many of the illegal drugs are looked as "introduced" and the rejection is to make laws to prevent people from taking these drugs.

Also, the notion that all these drugs have always been illegal is just false. Cannabis has been used for thousands of years and wasn't illegal in our country or most of the rest of the world until the 20th century. I believe that had something to do with the United Nations, they made it part of the conditions to join or something. I could be wrong about that.

Our country is 200 years old not 1,000s, so if cannabis has been illegal since the start of the 20th century, that's to say that it's been illegal for about 100 years (less or more depending on the year the substance was banned) of our history. When you look at the history of drugs, you have to figure out how it was used. Cannabis might have been used for 1,000 of years by other societies but for what purpose? Medicinal or private? Not all of their properties were known. You have to look at what was going on when the laws started to go into effect. With the advancement of science (more specifically Chemistry) and Medicine, it was than found that some of these drugs, if used improperly, can be very detrimental to one's health, that's one of the reasons why many drugs are considered illegal--actually it was more of people getting addicted when given some of these drugs for pain, in the hospital, that was a catalyst for the banning.

All these reasons for drugs to be illegal are stupid anyway, even if they weren't filled with misconceptions. Until I cause some kind of harm to another person, I should have the right to do whatever I want. With no exceptions.

It should not come to that but it already has, and that's part of the reason why the drugs have been banned. Sorry, but someone shouldn't loose a love one simply for this understanding to take place.

And the idea that one has the right to do whatever they want, is not correct. No where in the constitution or anywhere else for that matter, give us the right to do whatever one wants." When someone chooses to do whatever they want and it breaks the law, that's when consequences come in. And always remember this, someone is always effected by our choices, whether positive or negative.

Yes, but effects of marijuana, in no way whatsoever, link to violent behavior. If someone robs a store completely sober, it's because they were a thief, but if someone robs a story while high, it's because he's a junkie? Makes no sense.

It's almost as bad as when the media tries to pinpoint the cause of a school shooting or assassination on video games.

It's linked as a gateway drugs to harder drugs, that's one of the reasons why its illegal.

But the bottom line is, whether some think the law is harsh or not, it's illegal in the country.

As for what I said and they quoted me for it, no, the criminals were high.

It's linked as a gateway drugs to harder drugs, that's one of the reasons why its illegal.

But the bottom line is, whether some think the law is harsh or not, it's illegal in the country.

I'm sorry, dreamingincolors, but the things you're saying just aren't true. The gateway theory, all this stuff about addiction, the reasons for alcohol's legality, drugs being made illegal because science proved how harmful they are...pretty much everything you're saying is propaganda.

I don't know where you're getting your information on all this stuff but you're being lied to, and that makes me sad more than anything. You're probably a decent person, and it sucks that you've been conditioned to believe these things.

Ah, the gateway drug argument. My favorite. A lie fabricated by politicians and religious leaders to scare children into avoiding marajuana. If that is the case, alchohol is a gateway drug as well.

Also, please inform me of the detrimental effects weed has on the human body. Other than killing a few brain cells and eating junk food.

Did they rob the store because they were high? Or were they going to rob the store regardless? That's the difference between alcohol and marajuana. I can find a hundred articles every day where alcohol is directly linked to someone dying or violent crime. As opposed to weed, where I might know someone that knew someone that robbed a store and happened to be high when they did so.

Riiiigh religion is the problem. Lets not blame the addition of the laws because of the harmful effects that these drugs have or the the fact that many of these drugs are gateway to other drugs. Lets forget all the cause and effect that these drugs have shown and how deterimental it has been to society. Lets go around and blame religion for proclaiming that people should not harm their bodies. An lets blame religion for what the fast food industries have done, because it's obviously the religious propaganda that's forcing all this.

Well Dreamingofcolors.... Where do you think the base of laws come from... Religion... Thou shall not kill, Thou shall not steal, etc.

Im not saying Religion is bad, because it provides people who may find themselves with no hope, somthing to grab onto to help them make it through whatever challenges they are facing....

However, because Religion has this incredible ability to reach a mass number of people... it has become a vehicle for others to do harm with... like push their agenda and hide behind their faith....

Relgion has killed more people than "ALL THE WARS,DRUGS and DISEASES COMBINED"

Religious Conflicts

Generally speaking, in most of the following cases, religion is both

the stated cause of the killing and the only substantive difference

between the two opposing groups. Obviously, there would be many

additional conflicts where religion is just one of several divisions.

Albigensian Crusade, 1208-49

Algeria, 1992-

Baha'is, 1848-54

Bosnia, 1992-95

Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901

Christian Romans, 30-313 CE

Croatia, 1991-92

Early Christian doctrinal disputes

English Civil War, 1642-46

Holocaust, 1938-45

Huguenot Wars, 1562-1598

India, 1992-2002

India: Suttee & Thugs

Indo-Pakistani Partition, 1947

Iran, Islamic Republic, 1979-

Iraq, Shiites, 1991-92

Jews, 1348

Jonestown, 1978

Lebanon

1975-92

Martyrs, generally

Molucca Is., 1999-

Mongolia, 1937-39

Northern Ireland, 1974-98

Responsibility generally (Is religion responsible for more deaths than ...?)

Christian culpabiltiy

Russian pogroms:

1905-06

1917-22

St. Bartholemew Massacre, 1572

Shang China, ca. 1300-1050 BCE

Shimabara Revolt, Japan 1637-38

Sikh uprising, India, 1984-91

Spanish Inquisition, 1478-1834

Taiping Rebellion, 1850-64

Thirty Years War, 1618-48

Tudor England

Vietnam, 1800s

Witch Hunts, 1400-1800

Xhosa, 1857

In addition, here are a few noteworthy conflicts where dissimilar

ethnic groups fought for primarily religious reasons:

Arab Outbreak, 7th Century CE

Arab-Israeli Wars, 1948-

Al Qaeda, 1993-

Crusades, 1095-1291

Dutch Revolt, 1566-1609

Nigeria, 1990s, 2000s

So what is more harmful.... Religion or Marijauna?

As for the fastfood industries... Its a money machine that has to be ageed apon by people... who problably would profess themselves as "Religous" as most "Higher-Ups Do"

And if you want to go further.... Evolution has a play into all of this as far as what actions a person might take while being under the influence....

"Strongest will Survive" while the weak will die.....

You cant make stupid people smart... it is what it is.