Sign in to follow this  
petey

Judge Vaughn Walker rules against Prop. 8

To add another dimension to the debate:

Are those of you in favor of gay marriage/union also in favor of bigamist marriage? Such as in LDS beliefs?

I'm in favor of gay marriage btw.

No, polygamy tends to create a lot of other social problems. The male female ratio ages 16-64 is pretty much even in the United States so assuming most polygamist marriages are male centric (which isn't a huge assumption based on average income differences between males and females as well as historical precedence) it would create a shortage of marriageable women. Competition between wives creates instability in the family unit. Often it creates the subordination of women. Poor economic practices of polygamy would result in exponentially more people on welfare. Not to mention it would put a strain on employment based insurance if one employee is covering several more wives and children.

I had a gay roommate in film school and hated him. Not because he was gay though, just because he was a dick.

There like that. :svgsad:

There like that. :svgsad:

with all do respect to sum everyone up by saying "they" are like that, is like saying all white ppl are the same.

To add another dimension to the debate:

Are those of you in favor of gay marriage/union also in favor of bigamist marriage? Such as in LDS beliefs?

I'm in favor of gay marriage btw.

People should be able to do whatever they want with their lives, provided they do not harm anyone else.

I would have concerns about the treatment of the women involved in a situation like that, but I know there can be situations where it's not an issue. So in short, yes, I would be in favor of that.

People should be able to do whatever they want with their lives, provided they do not harm anyone else.

I would have concerns about the treatment of the women involved in a situation like that, but I know there can be situations where it's not an issue. So in short, yes, I would be in favor of that.

This.

Good post.

Now, to take it a step further:

Are you ok with women who live under Sharia Law in the United States as wives to Muslim men? Keep in mind that Sharia Law condones the beating of women, and honor killings.

Good post.

Are you ok with women who live under Sharia Law in the United States as wives to Muslim men? Keep in mind that Sharia Law condones the beating of women, and honor killings.

If people are being harmed, I'm not cool with it. If no one is being harmed, there should be no problem.

I don't think you can ban a religion, even if it does explicitly condone harmful acts. Until the actual harm takes place, I wouldn't want anything done about it. If you start preemptively punishing people for what would basically amount to a thought crime, we have huge problems.

This.

i dunno. too often polygamy becomes a hierarchical system. Sure you could look at it in the right light and think you're allowing more options thus more freedom but in reality you're taking a step back in the areas of feminism, the health of the family unit, and fighting poverty.

No, polygamy tends to create a lot of other social problems. The male female ratio ages 16-64 is pretty much even in the United States so assuming most polygamist marriages are male centric (which isn't a huge assumption based on average income differences between males and females as well as historical precedence) it would create a shortage of marriageable women. Competition between wives creates instability in the family unit. Often it creates the subordination of women. Poor economic practices of polygamy would result in exponentially more people on welfare. Not to mention it would put a strain on employment based insurance if one employee is covering several more wives and children.

So, one can have as many children with as many partners as they wish, and create as big a burden on the social welfare system as humanly possible...as long as you aren't a poloygamist? And, somehow legitimizing something that already occurs is going to produce a shortage of marriageable women & exponentially throw more people onto the welfare roles?

Consenting adults should be free to live as they choose provided their action don't infridge on the rights of others. If some poor guy can convince 8 women to join him in his double wide, good for him. If there are men who can't compete with that, perhaps they should be alone, & not produce offspring.

Good post.

Sharia Law is not the issue, the extreme interpretations of it are. You're effectively talking about extreme sects (in this case muslims) who bastardize religion to justify radical views. No different than white supremacists. Hell, these issues are only about a generation removed from some Latin American countries, and they are predominately Catholic. Bottom Line, their religious views are protected, but their actions are subject to American law.

So, one can have as many children with as many partners as they wish, and create as big a burden on the social welfare system as humanly possible...as long as you aren't a poloygamist? And, somehow legitimizing something that already occurs is going to produce a shortage of marriageable women & exponentially throw more people onto the welfare roles?

Consenting adults should be free to live as they choose provided their action don't infridge on the rights of others. If some poor guy can convince 8 women to join him in his double wide, good for him. If there are men who can't compete with that, perhaps they should be alone, & not produce offspring.

No, I'm saying we see these problems already in society with impoverished families having 6, 7, 8 children. What happens when one guy has 4 wives and you have 24, 28, 32 children? It would strain the system.

Also, it's not about men who cant compete. Lets say on average each man has three wives (seems like a good number as some professional athlete might have 30 and a good amount of people might choose to stay monogamous or single) you're shrinking the marriageable population to 1/3 of the current available population. That's not good for a healthy society.

The whole consenting adults can do whatever they want thing is short sighted. In an ideal world where everyone is responsible thats great. But polygamy would just take whatever current family social problems we have and make them exponentially more frequent.

But KITNO, you're a responsible, intelligent young man who wouldn't be burdened with the problems of the poor.

Except, you know, more poor people = more crime = more strain on the jail system

more poor people= more poor housing= section 8 housing infringing into middle class areas

more poor children= more taxes that have to be funneled into group homes for children taken from the parents

A step back for feminism

School overcrowding

population boom

long term you have

a larger rate of unemployment

lack of developable land

a class of people not able to be appeased by a welfare system we dont have the resources to expand to their needs who are going to riot against the government

a step back socially and economically in the world.

Its just not practical for macro-level thinking.

Would there really be enough people being polygamists to drive the average up to three women per man? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. This strikes me as something only a very small percentage of the population would actually engage in.

I guess it could turn into a craze like the people who try to get as many Facebook friends as possible, even though they don't know any of them. That might be a problem.