Sign in to follow this  
petey

Judge Vaughn Walker rules against Prop. 8

Ok so iam sure this is the wrong place to talk about equality and same sex marriage, but with how heated this subject has got over the last few months I was just wondering how everyone feels about it. PLEASE dont be rude and mean and please only intelligent discussion . I will start with my thoughts I think same sex marriage should be here to stay,I know lots of ppl dont support it and it goes against alot of religions out there but so does a lot of things we do these days. It will not effect non gay ppl in anyway everyone has a right to be with the person they love. there is alot of stigma involved with someone being gay or lesbien or trans for that matter, alot of ppl say its a choice but I ask you why would some one choose to have half their family disown them and there friends from 10 years back to see them like an infected sick person that if u get too close to you they will catch it. As a veteran I firmly believe in our country, our countrys values, and most of all our countrys people, i just hope we remember all men and women have the right to be with the one they love. ok I will stop talking about my obvious bias and look forward to hear others.

I'm not for it or against it, I just don't care. If gay people want to get married then that's their business. What I don't understand is why other people make it their business to try and take marriage away from them. A gay couple getting married doesn't effect my life or anyone elses.

• Upvote 2

Gay people are pretty much taking over the world. I've found about a whole bunch of friends (Male and Female) that have been gay for years and are starting to come out the closet.

I have nothing against them and hopefully never will and I don't have a problem with gay marriage. The only problem I have will be explaining my 2 little kids about gay people.....but I'm kinda years away from that since none are older than 3.

Gay people are pretty much taking over the world. I've found about a whole bunch of friends (Male and Female) that have been gay for years and are starting to come out the closet.

I have nothing against them and hopefully never will and I don't have a problem with gay marriage. The only problem I have will be explaining my 2 little kids about gay people.....but I'm kinda years away from that since none are older than 3.

whats to explain??? its just two ppl in love..... with young people today, a lot of gay and transgender youth only see suicide as a way out. thats wrong.... youth of today have to know that if thats who you are its ok and there is a way other then death to deal with it.

I'm not for it or against it, I just don't care. If gay people want to get married then that's their business. What I don't understand is why other people make it their business to try and take marriage away from them. A gay couple getting married doesn't effect my life or anyone elses.

this is basically how i feel. Had a gay roommate my sophomore year. Never bothered me, he was a cool guy. I'd room with him again.

this is basically how i feel. Had a gay roommate my sophomore year. Never bothered me, he was a cool guy. I'd room with him again.

Same. And I had a gay roommate my freshman year, no problems. He left half way thru the 1st semester, but for academic reasons. I was so glad I had a single dorm for a while though :bigparty: can't lie.

But yeah, gay people IMO should have the same rights as any other human being. It is scientifically proven that you can be born with a same sex orientation. People can feel uncomfortable about it, like most things in life...but homosexuality shouldn't be a reason to segregate individuals from a part, and in this case, HUGE part of society. If you were made that way, you just can't change it - we can't penalize people for that.

I'm way too tired to address this tonight in a way that is as meaningful as the topic deserves, but Prop 8 being declared unconstitutional has less to do with "Yay! Gay marriage!" and much more to do with how poorly and hatefully written Prop 8 actually was.

A lot will likely be made in the coming weeks of the fact that Vaughn Walker is reportedly a homosexual himself, and I'm willing to bet some variation of the phrases "activist judge" and "legislating from the bench" will get repeated on conservative media outlets in the coming weeks, but the fact is that Prop 8 provided no justification for overruling existing California law in regards to gay marriage, and as such served really as a means of undermining a minority group just because. As such, the amendment really *was* unconstitutional, and Walker was merely doing his job.

I can understand that there are valid reasons to oppose gay marriage that people might have for religious reasons, and that having those reasons doesn't necessarily make someone a homophobe, but the fact is that Prop 8, as written, was an amendment that reasonable Americans on both sides of the issue could have and should have found abhorrent. Gays deserve better than to be legislated into second-class citizenship for no reason, and the reasonable opponents of gay marriage who oppose on religious grounds deserve to have their opposition better represented than by that.

• Upvote 1

Ok so iam sure this is the wrong place to talk about equality and same sex marriage, but with how heated this subject has got over the last few months I was just wondering how everyone feels about it. PLEASE dont be rude and mean and please only intelligent discussion . I will start with my thoughts I think same sex marriage should be here to stay,I know lots of ppl dont support it and it goes against alot of religions out there but so does a lot of things we do these days. It will not effect non gay ppl in anyway everyone has a right to be with the person they love. there is alot of stigma involved with someone being gay or lesbien or trans for that matter, alot of ppl say its a choice but I ask you why would some one choose to have half their family disown them and there friends from 10 years back to see them like an infected sick person that if u get too close to you they will catch it. As a veteran I firmly believe in our country, our countrys values, and most of all our countrys people, i just hope we remember all men and women have the right to be with the one they love. ok I will stop talking about my obvious bias and look forward to hear others.

Gay Marriage...

I've yet to see any evidence "marriage" has origins as a religious union & therefore see no distinction between marriage or legal unions. If those opposed to gay marriage on religious grounds wished to define AND restrict "marriage" to a "spiritual union between man & women", I'd at least respect their position much the way I respect their position on abortion. But, their current position is hypocritical & self serving.

Born vs. Created...

I've yet to see any evidence to support a position homosexuals have a self serving interest to believe while indisputable evidence exists to support sociological & physcological theories for homosexuality.

I'll defend every individuals right to be treated equally, but that doesn't also require me to validate their opinion.

I say give them there marriage for the equality of the nation. Theres always a revolution.