Sign in to follow this  
Penny Hardaway's Ghost

Magic to re-sign Jason Williams

JJ got to see playing time when he stopped being a huge liability defensively. We're not Golden State. We don't throw scrubs out on the floor and let them shoot as much as they'd like. You can't win games that way. In practice, coaches can get a feel for how players can perform. Why should a coach put a player out on the floor in a real game when he can't even handle practice? If a player doesn't perform well in practice, he most likely will not perform well in game.

So did Ryan Anderson excel in practice? Is that why he got playing time over Bass in the playoffs? Well until he blew chunks and Bass replaced him and did a descent job atleast until he was lost of defensive assignments and sometimes on the low block on offense. But his limited playing time in the regular season had nothing to do with that, right in your esteemed opinion. Hee, hee.

• Downvote 1

So did Ryan Anderson excel in practice? Is that why he got playing time over Bass in the playoffs? Well until he blew chunks and Bass replaced him and did a descent job atleast until he was lost of defensive assignments and sometimes on the low block on offense. But his limited playing time in the regular season had nothing to do with that, right in your esteemed opinion. Hee, hee.

He wouldn't have to "excel" in practice, just do better than Bass, which doesn't seem very hard.

While Anderson did play like crap at the end of the season, keep in mind he also played well as a starter and put up these numbers when playing over 20 minutes a game (10 games, 24ish mpg average):

51.3% shooting and 47.7% from 3, 5.8 rbs, and 16.8pts

Bass, on the other hand, averaged these numbers playing over 20 mpg (11 games, roughly 23 mpg average):

54.1% shooting, 4.3 rebounds, 11.1 pts

Anderson was far more efficient, a better rebounder, and a better scorer (when playing those minutes). Anderson proved himself with "game time", Bass did not. I'd say they're both bad defensively, so that's a wash.

Both were pretty bad during the playoffs, but to back to your original question, yes, I do think Ryan outplayed Bass in practice, and that, as well as evidence from the season prior to the playoffs, was why he played more minutes than Bass during the playoffs.

Look at me! Im the artist formerly known as DOM. I use hyperbole to make my points. Who cares that we're arguing about a 34 year old who slowly declined the entire year finally to the point of possibly putting up the worst stats of any point guard (starting or otherwise) in the playoffs. I only consider these points when I'm forming statistical arguments about players I dont like. Lets continue the trend of geriatric third string point guards because when Nelson misses games this year (and he will) I can't wait to see his potential 2.6 points 1.6 assists in 14 minutes per game.

God forbid we grab a guy who has young legs, is able to hustle, and doesn't completely symbolize our entire team's effort during the Boston series with one notoriously poor attempt to grab a loose ball.

I can't wait to toss away another first round pick for a backup point guard when we find out that White Chocolate has gone stale.

JWill is being signed as a 3rd string PG. How much playing time did our 3rd string PG get in the Boston series that you are referring to?

View Postfan for too long, on 03 August 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

If you want to talk about young pg's who could blossom in a few years, then what about Randle who played on our summer league team this year. He is lightening quick and looks to be a leader and a good shooter. He would dribble circles around JWill. And much cheaper. But Oh I forgot the Magic don't develop young players unless they are a top five pick in the draft.

Reply by WPMagic:

Gortat and JJ disagree.

Player draft pick #

Chris Corchiani #36

Geert Hammink 26

Brooks Thompson 27

Rodney Dent 31

David Vaughn 25

Brian Evans 27

Ama McCaskill 49

Johnny Taylor 17

Eric Washington 47

Michael Doleac 12

Miles Simon 42

Courtney Alexander 13

Steven Hunter 15

Jeryl Sasser 22

Reece Gaines 15

Antonio Burks 36

James Augustine 41

Would all disagree with you!

Then perhaps you shouldn't type using such specifics like "the Magic don't develop young players unless they are a top five pick in the draft."

Trying and doing are two different things. I am saying that they don't develop young players except for the rare occasion. Not that they don't try. Meaningful minutes in a game is where players develop not just in practice.

Yes, the 2010-2011 Orlando Magic, a team that has a chance to WIN THE WHOLE FRICKIN' THING, should approach games like it's Little League and make sure the "project" players get enough run. That, my friend, is how you win it all.

View Postfan for too long, on 03 August 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

If you want to talk about young pg's who could blossom in a few years, then what about Randle who played on our summer league team this year. He is lightening quick and looks to be a leader and a good shooter. He would dribble circles around JWill. And much cheaper. But Oh I forgot the Magic don't develop young players unless they are a top five pick in the draft.

Reply by WPMagic:

Gortat and JJ disagree.

Player draft pick #

Chris Corchiani #36

Geert Hammink 26

Brooks Thompson 27

Rodney Dent 31

David Vaughn 25

Brian Evans 27

Ama McCaskill 49

Johnny Taylor 17

Eric Washington 47

Michael Doleac 12

Miles Simon 42

Courtney Alexander 13

Steven Hunter 15

Jeryl Sasser 22

Reece Gaines 15

Antonio Burks 36

James Augustine 41

Would all disagree with you!

I'm sorry, but this is beyond ignorant. Every team in the league has a laundry list of draft pics that didn't ammount to much, and few diamonds in thr rough, players that they gave a chance, and really showed up. EVERY SINGLE TEAM. That's the nature of the draft. You make a similar list for each team in the league.

Sure, you have teams that seem to be significantly better at drafting and development (like the Spurs who might be the best thing going in those departments), but to act like the list of names you posted has any sort of significance is preposterours. As a matter of fact, in terms of finding talent outside of top five pics, the Magic aren't half bad, there a little bit better than average in the league. In the past 13-14 years Orlando drafted (or traded on draft night for):

JJ Redick

Corey Maggette

Matt Harpring

Jameer Nelson

Anderson Verajao

ZaZa Pachulia

Keith Bogans

Marcin Gortat

That's a pretty good group of talent that blossomed in this league.

Just to prove my intial point, what about this list?

Felipe Lopez

Ian Mahinmi

Marcus Williams

Chris Carrawell

Romain Sato

Derrick Dial

Robertas Javtokas

Randy Halcomb

Sergei Karaulov

Bryan Bracey

Giorgos Printezis

Damir Markota

Those are all picks by, San Antonio, who I consider to be the best in the league at finding and developing talent.

JWill is being signed as a 3rd string PG. How much playing time did our 3rd string PG get in the Boston series that you are referring to?

We're speaking under the assumption that players would eventually have to play yet with third string players there's no guarantee. One must consider health history of starters when judging their replacements. It isn't likely that Dwight will miss anything more than a handful of games the entire season so we can afford to stash Orton on the bench while he learns how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

With nelson, I'm sure most board members would be ecstatic if he plays 70 games this season. He's going to get injured eventually so we need capable backups. While no one can discount Williams performance as a starter this past season, his play following that stretch brings a lot of concern.

His play slowly got worse as the season went on. His benchmark really needs to be around 6ppg and 4apg to be a capable backup. He exceeded this mark for the first half of the season, but in february that dipped to 5.7ppg and 2.5 apg. Post february was just a travesty. Not only did Williams production drop further, his efficiency took a major hit too. 5.2 ppg and 3.5 apg on 39% shooting; 2.6 ppg 2.6 apg 38% shooting in April. In the playoffs he went 2.6 ppg 1.6 apg and 34% shooting.

The major issue here, is jason williams play the result of a long season's effect on his legs (a problem that he had to take a year off prior to his time with the magic to recover from)? Would keeping him as a third string player be enough to allow him to be healthy? If the year off from basketball only gave him three solid months of basketball how much health can he gain from four months off during the summer? What if he's required to essentially platoon with Duhon in the result of a Nelson injury? Is he capable of handling these minutes?

Too many questions for me to be comfortable with the signing.

He wouldn't have to "excel" in practice, just do better than Bass, which doesn't seem very hard.

While Anderson did play like crap at the end of the season, keep in mind he also played well as a starter and put up these numbers when playing over 20 minutes a game (10 games, 24ish mpg average):

51.3% shooting and 47.7% from 3, 5.8 rbs, and 16.8pts

Bass, on the other hand, averaged these numbers playing over 20 mpg (11 games, roughly 23 mpg average):

54.1% shooting, 4.3 rebounds, 11.1 pts

Anderson was far more efficient, a better rebounder, and a better scorer (when playing those minutes). Anderson proved himself with "game time", Bass did not. I'd say they're both bad defensively, so that's a wash.

Both were pretty bad during the playoffs, but to back to your original question, yes, I do think Ryan outplayed Bass in practice, and that, as well as evidence from the season prior to the playoffs, was why he played more minutes than Bass during the playoffs.

This proves my point. Ryan deserved it because he played better in the games during the regular season. Bass in much less time on the court did not get the chance to gel with his teammates and learn where he needed to be in practice.

• Downvote 3

I'm sorry, but this is beyond ignorant. Every team in the league has a laundry list of draft pics that didn't ammount to much, and few diamonds in thr rough, players that they gave a chance, and really showed up. EVERY SINGLE TEAM. That's the nature of the draft. You make a similar list for each team in the league.

Sure, you have teams that seem to be significantly better at drafting and development (like the Spurs who might be the best thing going in those departments), but to act like the list of names you posted has any sort of significance is preposterours. As a matter of fact, in terms of finding talent outside of top five pics, the Magic aren't half bad, there a little bit better than average in the league. In the past 13-14 years Orlando drafted (or traded on draft night for):

JJ Redick

Corey Maggette

Matt Harpring

Jameer Nelson

Anderson Verajao

ZaZa Pachulia

Keith Bogans

Marcin Gortat

That's a pretty good group of talent that blossomed in this league.

Just to prove my intial point, what about this list?

Felipe Lopez

Ian Mahinmi

Marcus Williams

Chris Carrawell

Romain Sato

Derrick Dial

Robertas Javtokas

Randy Halcomb

Sergei Karaulov

Bryan Bracey

Giorgos Printezis

Damir Markota

Those are all picks by, San Antonio, who I consider to be the best in the league at finding and developing talent.

The ones in bold we traded before they even played for us or were traded very early in their careers They were not developed by the Magic. Your point was beyond ignorant, Thanks anyway.

• Downvote 2

This proves my point. Ryan deserved it because he played better in the games during the regular season. Bass in much less time on the court did not get the chance to gel with his teammates and learn where he needed to be in practice.

no it doesn't. Ryan earned the second string spot in training camp/preseason. He then excelled as a starter. He didn't have a great second half of the season. Bass didn't learn things in practice. He was given minutes entirely because of anderson's poor second half. Bass still didn't play all that well.

You're argument is that development happens in gametime.

Its wrong, good play during games is the result of all of the work players put in before games. JJ didn't develop because he finally hit 2000 career minutes. He practiced specific things that would compensate for his weaknesses. He worked hard which earned him more minutes. Then he played well which earned him a steady spot in the rotation.

They both probably battled in practice and won respect from the coaches. Each player was put in for strategical reasons. Bass was used when we needed a beast at the 4 to get in the paint and dig in.

As for the playing time in games, Bass had his shot at PT because he probably met the standard in practice. He had his chance on the court and didn't meet expectations. He had some burn and for the most part, things didn't go his way. Looks like he'll get another chance this season to prove himself.

How does it prove your point? Why do you think Ryan played more minutes throughout the season than Bass? Why do you think that Ryan got more minutes than Bass in the beginning of the season? Why did Ryan get to start over Bass in the first 6 games of the season when Lewis was out? Because he did better in practice, and because he was the better player. It's not because Stan thought "Hey, I bet Ryan could really be a good player. I'll find out by throwing him out there".